Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Need O2 Sensor Help

Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need O2 Sensor Help

So a couple days ago I developed a rattle under the car. It sounded like the catalytic converter going out, but I wasn't sure. Before I had a chance to get under the car it throws a CEL code yesterday....P0141...02 Sensor Heater Malfunction. It says the problem is Bank 1 Sensor 2. I called Honda parts to check on the cost of the sensor and they tell me that it is the secondary sensor based on the info given. Honda is asking $300.00 for this sensor! Is there anywhere else that I can get a good sensor for less than $300.00??

Either way I'll be replacing the sensor really soon...just want to know mah options.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ Maestro
So a couple days ago I developed a rattle under the car. It sounded like the catalytic converter going out, but I wasn't sure. Before I had a chance to get under the car it throws a CEL code yesterday....P0141...02 Sensor Heater Malfunction. It says the problem is Bank 1 Sensor 2. I called Honda parts to check on the cost of the sensor and they tell me that it is the secondary sensor based on the info given. Honda is asking $300.00 for this sensor! Is there anywhere else that I can get a good sensor for less than $300.00??

Either way I'll be replacing the sensor really soon...just want to know mah options.

Look up some threads on that rattle... From a lot of them it sounds like the cat filament gets loose and rips through the O2 sensor so don't go replacing a $$ part only for it to get ripped through again. Make sure the cat is ok first

Can't really help you with a cheap place for the part tho
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by El S2000
Originally Posted by DJ Maestro' timestamp='1343911193' post='21907537

Look up some threads on that rattle... From a lot of them it sounds like the cat filament gets loose and rips through the O2 sensor so don't go replacing a $$ part only for it to get ripped through again. Make sure the cat is ok first

Can't really help you with a cheap place for the part tho

How do I check to see if the cat filament is loose??
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM

Mine was loose and broke the sensor. Chances are, with the car cold and 02 sensor out, you can move it around with your finger... At least I could anyhow..
Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's your cat. When we were doing the trans fluid change I noticed that your cat was way hotter than usual after sitting that long. I think the honey comb was loose and was clogging up. That's why we got burned lol!! When the car is completely cold raise it up and tap on the cat and you should hear some metal sound. Or better yet just remove the whole cat and shake it back n forth and you will feel the honey comb moving around. Get a test pipe or Berk HFC. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
It's your cat. When we were doing the trans fluid change I noticed that your cat was way hotter than usual after sitting that long. I think the honey comb was loose and was clogging up. That's why we got burned lol!! When the car is completely cold raise it up and tap on the cat and you should hear some metal sound. Or better yet just remove the whole cat and shake it back n forth and you will feel the honey comb moving around. Get a test pipe or Berk HFC. Good luck!
So in other words, are you telling me that I will need to replace the cat AND the sensor???
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DJ Maestro
Originally Posted by s2000maniac' timestamp='1343927226' post='21908243
So in other words, are you telling me that I will need to replace the cat AND the sensor???
only if the sensor has been damaged. if not, you can reuse it. replace the cat. inscase if you have to replace the sensor, you can buy this one http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...=oxygen+sensor on checkout use code p20 for 20% off and choose the option to pick it up from store. good luck
Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Originally Posted by DJ Maestro' timestamp='1344012412' post='21910942
[quote name='s2000maniac' timestamp='1343927226' post='21908243']
only if the sensor has been damaged. if not, you can reuse it. replace the cat. inscase if you have to replace the sensor, you can buy this one http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...=oxygen+sensor on checkout use code p20 for 20% off and choose the option to pick it up from store. good luck
[/quote]

That is for the upstream sensor though. My code is telling me that it is Bank 1 Sensor 2...that is what Honda is telling me is the downstream sensor that is like $300.00. Will this one work in it's place??
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 AM

No the upstream would be bank 1 sensor 1. Downstream is the one by the cat. The link that I posted will work perfectly fine.
BUT first inspect the cat. The sensors might be fine.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 AM

So now the question is....Berk 63mm or 70mm HFC???

Quick Reply: Need O2 Sensor Help