Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia
View Poll Results: NEED HELP: Who has replaced their clutch and w/ how many miles?
No and I have over 30,000 miles
20.00%
Yes but I drive the car like I stole it
20.00%
Yes but it was because of a TSB
33.33%
Yes and I drive it normally
26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

NEED HELP: Who has replaced their clutch and w/ how many miles?

Old 05-06-2002, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP: Who has replaced their clutch and w/ how many miles?

Hey Guys,

I know it's been a while but finals have kept me busy. I just finished everything Friday. Of course, as soon as summer comes my car goes bad. The car was not shifting and instead just revving. Well, I took it to Lanier Honda because they do all my work. Here's the deal: I have to pay $390 just to tear the transmission out to see if I've damaged it. If it's "normal" wear n tear then I pay for the new clutch. If not, and somethings wrong, they pay for the tear down and they pay for the clutch. Is it normal to have a new clutch at 31,400 miles. Oh, by the way, the clutch is $910 . I know some of the guys had their clutchs replaced under TSB's but I don't know what to do. Who has had their clutch replaced, what reason, and how many miles? Thanks guys. Any advice appreciated Brandon
Old 05-07-2002, 03:05 AM

Mine was done under a TSB but the clutch had worn out and also damaged the fly wheel and pressure plate as well as the throw out bearing. I am guessing that this will not be covered. Our clutch is weak and small and does burn out quickly especially if you are dropping or power shifiting, (which im sure your not)!! Even under easy driving circumstances I would say the clutch will not see 50,000. You can try and mention all the S2000's that are having worn clutches and that the BBB has already gotten involved. If you want I will go up there with you with my BBB survey when you go in if its after im off work. I would start to look at after market parts just in case they wont cover it.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Brandon, if I remember correctly, your the 2nd owner of the car. Who knows how the first owner drove the car, the clutch may have been half worn when you purchased the car.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:31 PM
Banned

Had to update your choices. I don't drive like I stole it all the time. I NEVER burn up the clutch, and I NEVER spin it for show. Mine is just a daily driver and I had it replaced because I wanted the benefits of the 2002 parts. I had it done circa 17k miles.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replaced clutch at 43k because of a "hard shifting" problem, (clutch hub rusted). So far Honda won't pay for it, but letters go out today. We'll see.

Clutch was not worn (met new clutch specs for rivet depth) but I drive like your grandmother. I got the 2002 clutch parts and geeeeeeeez what a difference!!!!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:33 PM

Well guys, the results are in. It was "normal" wear'n'tear on the clutch. Oh, and by the way, I cracked the flywheel. So, the final cost comes out to be $1300 .Well, there goes my birthday present.....my graduation present......and christmas present for 5 years .It sucks guys, summer is finally here and I lose $1300 within the first couple days. I always have bad starts during the summer. Last summer I chipped off my front tooth on the first day of summer. It must be bad luck. Well, I should get her back by Friday but i'm still pissed off about it. I think I might lay a fat wheel out of the dealership.Anyways, just thought I'd update you guys. I'll let you know more when I find out. Thanks for the advice. Brandon

*****By the way Dave, I am the first owner.(If you don't count my Dad )
Old 05-08-2002, 07:37 PM

Normal, right. Mine was replaced under TSB at 26k and was just about gone. My other clutches have always lasted (ie. 80k in the Z28 and never replaced in most of my other cars from Pinto to TR-7 and 914.)

I'm thinking we'll need to replace them about every 30k. That ain't industry standard "normal." Time will tell.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:59 AM

My next clutch will definately be aftermarket. This Honda POS is way to small to handle even daily driving if you go into high VTEC on a regular basis.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:35 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=63528

TSB replacement, get it back today, I'll update you guys on the difference.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:10 AM

Bjechols,

I had parts replaced under the TSB054 and then paid for the replacement of Clutch, Pressureplate, Throwout bearing of 2002 parts. My '01 S has 17K miles.... my clutch was not worn too badly but while everything was open, I figured it would make sense to replace.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP: Who has replaced their clutch and w/ how many miles?