Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

need help... CV buckets

Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help... CV buckets

alright guys im getting that horrible vibration from the rear of the car... i am lowered but i have spacer, so it seems like i need to flip the cv buckets... i am not a mechanic by any means of the word but i do try toplay DR with my car here and there, i was wondering if any of you guy have done this and can give me any pointer's or even help out, i live in the roswell/alpharetta area, but work in kennesaw... so this is would be for you N.Ga folks, thanks in advance guys
Old 08-20-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a little too far away to help here in NC, but I just did this swap a few weeks ago and it solved my vibration under acceleration issues which surfaced after lowering the car. This is the how-to that I used, coupled with the one on s2ki.

http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=21680

The swap can be quick and painless, but you need to prepare yourself with the right tools. A large 1/2" drive breaker bar is a must in order to remove and replace the axle nuts. There are some crazy methods out there for removing the axle nuts, but if you have a 1/2" drive or larger breaker bar, then you should be able to man-handle those things off. I think it is a 26mm socket you need for the axle nuts; these can be bought at autozone for about 6 bucks.

While at autozone, pick up a "Pittman tie rod end puller" from their available rental tools. This will allow you to easily pop the ball joint on the bottom of the knuckle. Don't try to get around doing this by disconnecting any linkage arms, or else you will end up screwing your alignment up. The tool is like ten bucks, but the money is refunded in full when you return the tool.

Your breaker bar will come in handy when removing the axle bolts in the differential as well, as it is likely they haven't ever been removed. Make sure you have the right socket for these bolts and your breaker (or a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter).

You can buy some cv grease if you want to clean out the buckets and replace the grease. I just reused the same grease that was in the buckets already. Some shin-itsu grease was used to lube the ball joint dust covers to prevent them from splitting, as well as on the axle nut collars prior to reinstallation. This is optional, and you can use whatever grease you want.

I also reused the same cv boot clamps. I bought some from Honda in case I screwed mine up, but it was pretty easy to remove and reinstall them. Make sure you have some needle nose pliers for removal and install of the clamps. I did however buy new axle nuts and throw away the old ones. They were crappy and screwed from pulling the collar up anyway.

Don't forget to clean and grease your axle splines on both the hub side and the differential side before renstallation.

I think that covers it. Once we found a breaker bar big enough to get the axle nuts off, the whole swap took about an hour and a half at most to finish. It is good to have a friend or helper there, even if they know nothing about cars. More like a tool slave, haha.

Good luck man!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I live in Roswell and you know I'm always willing to help. Pm me if you need help. I just did this like a month ago!