Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Insurance claims from previous wreck

Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance claims from previous wreck

So while we're kickin' back, winding down from the runs at Hutchinson Island saturday, I'm sitting directly infront of my car, and I happen to notice that the front right tire is literally sticking out at least half an inch wider from the fender. I spent a few minutes meticulously comparing the two, and the front left is clearly aligned properly and sits flush with the fender. The front right, however, literally sticks outside of the car. This explains why on the whole drive home from Oklahoma, I noticed a ever-so-slight pull to the right. I've also notice that the steering wheel goes washy and the car wants to get away from me when I'm slowing down on some of the uneven parts of the Savannah road, ESPECIALLY if I'm getting on the brakes hard. Left turns are more difficult than right turns, which also makes sense.

I'm not sure if the camber is the solution. Could it be possible that in my wreck (which involved the front left wheel coming into contact hard at about 40mph with a curb) something else was dammaged?

I'm calling my insurance company tomorrow to find out what I need to do, because either way, someone didnt do their job right and now my ride is clearly suffering, and considering I already paid a rather large deductible for it, I shouldn't be having to pay more to correct someone else's mistake.

Wheel and tire sizes are identical on the front, just to get that question out of the way
Old 05-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Have you had an alignment since you were in the wreck? Did you check the control arms or anything like that?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Definitely, call the insurance company and tell them of the situation. They are supposed to pay to make the car like new.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 AM

Just talk to your agent and they should take care of the rest for you, also if you have rental coverage then you'll get some rental car you can flog
Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey you did well on saturday btw! my first one I didn't even score

I would have though they should have aligned it if they fixed it - do you have the before and after sheet? I would ask about getting it

also did they repair the wing is it the wheel sticking out too much or the wing is damaged and not sticking out enough?

I would get onto them definitely

Old 05-05-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dan_uk,May 5 2008, 10:20 AM
I would have though they should have aligned it if they fixed it - do you have the before and after sheet? I would ask about getting it

also did they repair the wing is it the wheel sticking out too much or the wing is damaged and not sticking out enough?
Alright, I took it to Grainger Honda, paid $92 to put it up on the lift just for them to tell me that I'd have to take it to a specialty shop. Typical

The wreck hit hard on the front left tire, and two tires were destroyed, so I had new wheels put on while they were fixing it, and they realigned. I'm not sure it was even possible for a before and after sheet because of the condition the front end was in, but I'm calling the shop that did it tomorrow and finding out what I can.

I had the dealership take me in the garage so I could look under the car, and this is what I saw:

The car was aligned after the wreck, but I'm almost certain the problem lies with either (God, I hope not) the frame being distorted from the wreck, or other dammages to the suspension that are out of my league. The front left camber bolts are moved to extreme positions, the front right looks like it should, so what I'm getting from this is that the shop skipped some steps and compensated the shift in the front end with a lot of camber adjustment.
Since I noticed how extreme the camber adjustments are, this is telling me it's probably not the fender.

As for the insurance company, they're just telling me to take it to the other shop and figure out what's wrong; if it was something fixed incorrectly, I get to take up the fued with the shop that did it, if it was something that they missed and was never fixed, insurance will pay in full. I hate wrecks...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:58 PM

hmmmm, I was under the impression that grainger had a body shop on location. anytime I've ever had an issues thye've always takin care of it. Where is the shop located that fixed it initially?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:24 PM

It's in Tulsa, OK, so you see the dilema haha. I took it to Hernadez body shop over there by Grainger, because the mechanic at Grainger made it clear that there was nothing they could do for it there - actually they send their cars out to other shops for a lot of work - and recommended me Hernadez. The guy working there looked at it just to get an idea, mentioned that because it has custom wheels it's probably going to have to be taken to ANOTHER place for alignment (this is getting irritating), and so now I've contacted the body shop in Oklahoma, and Hernandez and the shop in OK -should- be working together to get Hernadez all the work orders of the repairs that were done after the wreck. Once I get feedback from them, hopefully this show will get started...
Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a big ****ing mess i hope you get it sorted out

if its any help to put the stock wheels back on i have a set you can borrow except the fronts don't have tires
Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 AM

^ I can pitch in with some crappy tires! I know they fit AP1 stock fronts...

Quick Reply: Insurance claims from previous wreck