Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Where are the S2KI people from Iowa?

Old 05-16-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Where are the S2KI people from Iowa?

I'm looking for S2KI peeps in the Des Moines area.

I'm going there for an anesthesia conference [May 26-29], and want to know if there's anything to see/do while I'm there....

-Pete
Old 05-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi-Ya Pete...

No one from Iowa at all in our group. Sorry. You may want to try the KC forum, but I don't think so.

Unfortunately... You'll be about 430 miles from us here in St. Louis and we just got done with a 700+ mile run this weekend. So I don't think I could convince anyone to do another 860 mile trip in a couple of weeks.

Next time your in the St. Louis area... Look us up!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pete

I grew up in Iowa (Cedar Falls). You're likely to be disappointed about the number of Iowa S2ki members, though (I think that means none).

Have fun at your conference!

Ron
Old 05-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the responses. (I'll be flying in tomorrow.)

I guess it's best that I just stay at the hotel and study.

The last conference I went to was in Seattle. I ended up meeting a bunch of S2KI people, thrashing a rental car at an autocross, and hooking up with some hot anesthesia gals from Virginia.

I was there 4 days, and didn't go to one class.

-Pete
Old 05-26-2005, 04:55 PM

Holy Sh!t! Talk about culture shock!

I've been here in Iowa for most of the day, and I haven't seen any S2000s.

I'm not that surprised about the S2000s, but I'm SHOCKED that I haven't seen even ONE Mercedes!!! Now that seems bizarre. I can't get 15 seconds out of my house in Hollywood without seeing Benzes, Porches, and stuff.

There are hardly any imports on the streets here - Man, it's really creepy.

And what's up with all the White people??? Don't bag on me- I'm White- but I'm from L.A., and I'm not used to this. Where are all the people of color?

Even more strange- I've only seen about 6 Asians here- and they were all FAT!?!

The landscape here is flat as a pancake, and there isn't anything interesting to do.

I guess I'll just stick to the plan and stay in at the hotel.

-Pete
Old 05-26-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kodokan_4!

You're killin' me man! HAHA!

If you're going to look for imports, you might find a few ricer cars in the Des Moines area

That town shuts down around 9 pm. Yes, Iowa is predominantly white (there might have been two blacks in my high school class). One of my best grade school friends was an Apache Indian - a true minority. I don't remember a single Hispanic person. It's a very "VANILLA" area.

For more scenic areas, you should look towards Northeast Iowa & the Mississippi River area. It gets hilly up there and there are limestone bluffs by the river. Do not expect the population to suddenly change, though!

One thing is really cool about the area -- You can say "Hi" to anyone, or smile as you walk by -- and not worry about what neighborhood you are in.

Further down south in the Missouri Bible belt area, you could get another culture shock...

Welcome to the Midwest Moderates, dude. At least the accent here is considered to be neutral.

A final question - does your local news report driving incidents between cars as "accidents", "crashes", or "wrecks"? (It kills me how --moderate-- this area calls everything from drunken driver death-kill to fender-bender an "ACCIDENT"!)

(For all the regulars on this forum, this may be the only time any politically-incorrect statements will be heard from me - sorry for any offenses).

Ron