Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Wheel refurbishing recommendations ?

Old 03-19-2008 | 11:45 AM

So question.

What kind of turn around should I expect from one of these places to correct minor curb rash, refinish and paint? 24 hours, couple days or weeks?
Old 03-19-2008 | 06:26 PM

Ok, got to look at them and take pics. Turned out pretty well.

Go to the album here to see pics:
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...edline/Wheels/

Click on the pictures to see my comments about them. Here is a preview:

In summary, I think they did a great job with my wheel. Would I want them to do this to a whole Volk that I just had a little bit of damage on the rim? No. Then again, they may be able to do something less drastic than coating the whole wheel for a case like that, it might be worth giving them a call.
Old 04-15-2008 | 02:56 PM

I highly recommend these guys. Had a wheel that was pretty scratched up. They were able to sand it and refinish it without sending it off so it was only $95 (instead of ~150). Very nice, professional, and prompt.
Old 04-16-2008 | 05:43 PM

Not sure if my wheels are even worth refinishing (they're fairly trashy looking ). But based on the posts about AWR - by FormulaRedline I may be check it out...
Old 06-06-2008 | 03:02 PM

Okay...... well we took one of the Volk Rays we have to Alloy Wheel Repair last month.
They had it back and done in a week, but we couldn't get there to pick it up. Well we finally made it. This wheel was in bad shape and Hubcap and Wheel said it couldn't be fixed. Well we got it picked up finally this afternoon. And it looks amazing. I'll get the pics posted as soon as i find the before pic!!! We left another wheel with them since the worst one was awesome looking.

This pic makes it look too nice!!! But there is a flat spot and a lot of curb rash.

Wheel fixed!

Duane is going to find his pic that may show the damage a lot better!
Old 06-09-2008 | 07:38 PM

I'm glad everyone has been having good experiences! They really do have great service for reasonable prices.
Old 06-10-2008 | 06:19 PM

OK here is a better shot of the wheel before being fixed. Notice on the left side a rather flat edge.

Old 06-18-2008 | 08:34 PM

Hi. Sorry, but I haven't been in here in a while...

My experience with the St. Charles Rock Road Hubcap and Wheel Store was anything but perfect. They charged me $150/wheel for refinishing of my AP2 wheels and I was NOT happy with the results.

They CAN restore a wheel to useful condition. They CANNOT restore it to "as new" condition. The rims that they worked on for me had marginal paint and clearly inferior lathe work. I showed those rims to club members at the monthly meeting that I happened to attend immediately after picking them up last year.

Their equipment is not adequate to follow the outer radius of the rims on our cars. My rims now show all sorts of large machining marks where their lathe cut the outer surface. I also have "lines" on the machined surface of the rims where their lathe completed the refinishing operation - as their lathe was NOT able to follow the complete contour of the rims.

If your rims have a painted finish, and they have a "simple" outer surface to follow, they can probably finish them to acceptable standards. If they are complicated, forget it... Vibration problems following the outer surface results in "chatter" too. Ultimately, they charged me more to refinish my AP2 rims than it would cost to buy a good used rim. That is not adequate in my mind.

In summation, if you need a usable rim, they can do the job. If you want a "new" looking rim, these guys are NOT able to meet your expectations.

Greg
Old 06-20-2008 | 04:09 PM

Thanks Greg - I knew you had (a less than desireable) experience with them. Good to hear from you!
Old 06-21-2008 | 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=rehile,Jun 20 2008, 06:09 PM]

Quick Reply: Wheel refurbishing recommendations ?