Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Wheel refurbishing recommendations ?

Old 02-29-2008 | 03:19 PM

Well I can't say that I'm just real impressed by these guys (hubcap and wheel). I had them mount tires on my AP2V2 wheels (just the rears.. waiting for front tires to wear down before replacing). The guy at the shop said the owner would be interested in taking my old rear wheels as a trade in for labor or cash. The owner wasn't there, but I left the wheels with them and was told to come back in a few hours. I came back and he still wasn't there. I left a message. I've called 3 times and have been put on hold for 10 minutes each time, the owner has never been there, and he has never returned any of my messages. I'm thinking about just being happy with getting the $40 tire mounting and balancing as the trade in for 2 damaged wheels. I was going to have them put any other money towards refinishing one of the front wheels (they quoted me $150 for this), but I'm not sure I want to deal with them anymore.
Old 02-29-2008 | 05:12 PM

Still looking for hyedracyl to weigh in - I know for sure he's dealt with the Hubcap & Wheel folks before.
Old 03-07-2008 | 08:56 AM

We'll I've continued to try to get a hold of the owner, continued to be put on hold every time I call, and I've been lucky if they will even leave a message for him (obviously none of my messages have been returned). The guys answering the phone are not helpful and have actually been pretty rude. I'm not sure if my issue will be resolved, but I recommend avoiding this place like the plague. I'm just glad that I don't have much to lose in the situation.
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:15 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by dewar,Mar 7 2008, 11:56 AM
We'll I've continued to try to get a hold of the owner, continued to be put on hold every time I call, and I've been lucky if they will even leave a message for him (obviously none of my messages have been returned). The guys answering the phone are not helpful and have actually been pretty rude. I'm not sure if my issue will be resolved, but I recommend avoiding this place like the plague. I'm just glad that I don't have much to lose in the situation.

If you can't get good Customer Service just by calling, I would expect similar service when you bring in Wheels for fixing. Stay far away
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:17 AM

I took my wheel to these guys:
http://www.awrsstlouis.com/Index.html

We'll see how that goes, I'll let you guys know.
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:25 AM

hope it works out. that is right next to my house (10 min). how are there pricing?
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:30 AM

The pricing looks like it will be $100-150. Which is cheap relative to the wheel I gave them, but I guess might price it out of the replacement cost for some wheels.
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:31 AM

Nice. I was wondering what my other option would be. If I don't get a call back in the next two days, I'm giving up on hubcap and wheel. Please keep us posted on AWR. I still need one of my new (used) AP2V2 front wheels refinished.
Old 03-07-2008 | 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,Mar 7 2008, 01:17 PM
I took my wheel to these guys:
http://www.awrsstlouis.com/Index.html

We'll see how that goes, I'll let you guys know.
Too bad they don't have better hours. Hard for most people to get there during the 9-5 hours!

Keep us posted.
Old 03-19-2008 | 10:10 AM

My dad picked up the wheel today (I couldn't make it in during their business hours). Good thing too...he said they were temporarily packing up the shop in case it flooded down there!

He said the wheel looks good, but I wouldn't call him an expert. I'll update everyone again tonight (and hopefully have pictures) when I get home.

Quick Reply: Wheel refurbishing recommendations ?