Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Silverstone Bumper Damage

Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstone Bumper Damage

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me.

My car was a victim of a hit and run in the mall parking lot. On my bumper there are about 5 or 6 good scratches most expose the black plastic underneath. The largest scratch is about as big as a quarter. no creases on the bumper.

I took it to Huey's body shop and they said $650. The damage does not look like $650 to me, but they want to repaint the whole bumper and blend with the rear quarter panels. I have touch up paint on the scratches right now and if you were just glancing at the car you would not notice. So I don't think the work Huey's is suggesting is necessary.

Is there any way to just have someone sand, primer and paint the damaged area and blend with the rest of the bumper. Is silverstone that hard to match? Does anyone know of a good body shop in St. Louis that could do this cheaper and make it look good?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Admin
Community Organizer

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I have never had any paint or body work done, but I would imagine that Silverstone would be difficult to match being a metallic color. If it were a flat color like red or black, perhaps it wouldn't be so difficult. I believe that repainting the entire bumper to match the rear quarter panels would be the correct way to do it.

Just my 2
Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 PM

got any pics?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 PM

I always thought Red was hardest to match???
Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Ask frankcandy610 &/or see this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=450638 - particularly the posts from 8BALL & Keith (aka Kieth )
Old 03-12-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't start trying to paint only half or part of the bumper to be honest. I understand why Huey's would want to match the rear quarter panels with the bumper though. But last time I got a quote to get my front bumper on my Prelude repainted, it was way out of wack (compared to Greg's Car Care Center). That said, I don't think it's really necessary to match the quarter panels but just be aware that you might see a difference in the two parts (bumper + quarter panels/truck).

Keith
Old 03-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Keith,Mar 12 2007, 06:03 PM] Yeah, I wouldn't start trying to paint only half or part of the bumper to be honest.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 PM

i just got my rear bumper repaint about 2 month...(new bumper) i dont know,but i think just i can tell the little bit difference between my oem bumper and the current bumper... Greg's Car Care Center did it for me, if u have time, u can just PM me and take a look at my bumper, and then u can decide how to handle the problem...i m in the spring break, just let me know if u need to see the repainting work...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the help. I am taking the car to Greg's on 94. I saw him today at lunch and received a $417 quote to repait the whole bumper. They beat Huey's by over $200 and will do it in 1 day. It's warming up and I want my car back quick.

Just an FYI...He said that he has done 4 silverstone S2000's in the past couple of weeks and has a paint formula that is about a 98% match to the factory paint color. He is not blending in the quarter panels. He says I won't even notice. I will let everyone know how it looks for future reference.

I hope someone rear ends me on way home so I can pass the cost on to insurance...oh well.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stlvtec,Mar 13 2007, 02:54 PM
I hope someone rear ends me on way home so I can pass the cost on to insurance...oh well.

Don't wish for that as your luck would be a total or an uninsured driver.

Quick Reply: Silverstone Bumper Damage