Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

PDX offers $55 Test Drive

Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe you can register for the $55 test drive via the website (for now), but I would shoot them an email to give them a heads up that you are coming. I would be there for at least the 8am driver's meeting, (supposed to be GREAT weather this weekend) and participate in the first session. If you like it (which I'm 100% sure you will), I believe you can do the rest of the day and pay the balance.

Like David said, you don't get to really choose your instructor but they will do their best to accommodate your wants since you are the customer. From past experience, they try to pair people up with similar cars.

As for SCCA membership, I think you can buy a temporary membership (60 days) for $15.

Keith
Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Su2uKa,Apr 20 2009, 04:45 PM
Nick, what's the advantage of 5.5 caster as against 6.75 from the UK spec?
Caster affects how easily you can turn and provides more camber... hence the UK spec have more positive camber.

I really won't worry about these things... it's recommend to start off with a good baseline first... understand how your car performances with stock settings and stock parts. As you become more experience, you have a better understand of how it affects the car overall.

Keith
Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith,Apr 20 2009, 04:05 PM
it's recommend to start off with a good baseline first...
That's the thing: the car hasn't had an alignment since I bought it - it doesn't feel 'off' but it's not a baseline if I don't know where it's at right now... I think it could/should feel better so I wanted to start with a recommended baseline.

So does 5.5 caster turn more or less easily & provide more dynamic camber in the turn than 6.75, or less? Any stability issues with 5.5 caster?

Just trying to understand why Nick would go in the opposite direction to the UK spec (if stock is 6)
Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Quick question: does the SCCA recognise any other safety standards for helmets? I have an Arai that meets British Standard BS6658-85 Type A. I've seen various posts on threads saying the Type A/FR is OK, but haven't found anything conclusive on the SCCA or stlpdx websites...

Found this, but not sure if it applies to the 20 min PDX: http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7847

I'm really not keen on having to replace a $400 lid if I can avoid it
Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Update... I heard back from ChuckDeProw.

For $55, you don't have to pay for SCCA membership fees for the day... but you'll have to sign all waivers.

You don't have to register in advance you need to attend the driver's meeting at 8am

They don't have loaner helmets but if you have a Snell 95+, it will be acceptable. This means, a motorcycle helmet should suffice but I strongly recommend getting a SA00+ helmet if you plan on doing more track days.

If you want a specific instructor, you'll need to get there early and find + speak to the Chief Instructor Ed Settle.

Please wear a long sleeve shirt, long pants, closed toe shoes...

Keith
Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Su2uKa,Apr 20 2009, 07:29 PM
Quick question: does the SCCA recognise any other safety standards for helmets? I have an Arai that meets British Standard BS6658-85 Type A. I've seen various posts on threads saying the Type A/FR is OK, but haven't found anything conclusive on the SCCA or stlpdx websites...

Found this, but not sure if it applies to the 20 min PDX: http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7847

I'm really not keen on having to replace a $400 lid if I can avoid it
It appears that a BS6658-85 Type A is better than Snell 2005 rating which means it is acceptable but I would print out any documentation stating this so you won't have any issues in tech.

As for the alignment, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get it realigned but if you don't have any unusual excessive wear on any of your tires, I wouldn't worry about it.

Keith
Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 AM

Graham-

The reason I am at 5.5 caster is because they couldn't hit -2.0 camber and 0 toe without reducing the caster. Like I said before it has been the best set-up to date for my particular car. The UK spec, as Keith mentioned, is a good starting point so I don't see the harm in trying it for the first track day in your car. I don't have experience in an AP2 so I'm not sure what the "best" alignment would be.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 AM

ok... so I'll just showup at Gateway Saturday morning with $55 cash in hand? No need to register or email anyone...?

By the way, any of you guys doing brake fluid change between now and then and don't mind having me there to learn? I'm pretty good with working on cars but haven't done any brake work so I'd prefer to learn from a seasoned vet before tackling it myself.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM

I'll be changing oil and MTF this week - Thursday or Friday but I only have the afternoon free as I have stuff going on after 5pm. Let me know if you want to stop by and we can bleed the brakes.

Nick
Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Yeah, bottom line for those who are looking to do the $55 deal...

- Be at the 8am driver's meeting. I would try to be at the track at 7:30am.
- Bring a helmet. Snell 95+ or SA95+ will work. Make sure it FITS. If you are a medium, I might have a loaner for you.
- Wear a long sleeve shirt, pants and closed toe shoes while on the track.
- Bring $55 cash or credit.
- If you want a specific instructor, find and speak to Ed Settle.
- If you would like to participate for the entire day, find and speak to Carla Russo. She would prefer cash to pay for the balance but will accept credit card as well.

As for the brake fluid change, I already did mine last week but I recommend getting speed bleeders. They make changing brake fluid a snap... I just help changed Frank's brakes on Friday and told him to get a set (his brake fluid needs to be changed).

Keith

Quick Reply: PDX offers $55 Test Drive