Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Need to change out the Hub

Old 10-16-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need to change out the Hub

So thanks to some morons in town that over torqued my lugnuts while working on a completely unrelated problem (and are now refusing to pay for some damage caused by it), I have to replace a broken lug. The lug nut is stuck on the lug, which has unseated itself from the hub so that lug and nut spin freely, but do not come off. It seems like I am going to need to drill out the nut to get my wheel off, and then replace the stud.

Replacing the stud does not sound like an easy task, however. I believe I have to follow the instructions in this DIY:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223599

However, I do not have all the tools I need. I am missing:

-Impact wrench that goe sup to 260 ft-lbs
-Impact socket for the rear axle nut.
-Ball Joint Separator
-Hydraulic press to press the bearing in and out.

Does anyone have these tools, or know of a reputable shop that won't screw it up like the last one? I'd really like to get this done this week, thanks!
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 AM

Couple of questions.. granted I didn't read the instructions throughly but;

- I'm assuming the stud can't be pushed out without hitting the the brake dust shield? Is that correct? Or does it hit against the knuckle? It looks like there is enough space to knock the stud out and then pull in a new one (using a open end lug or lug with multiple washers). If it's brake dust shield then, I would try to remove the shield then remove/install the new stud/lug.

<edit:> Found this quote:

BTW #2, if you are caught in a bind without access to a press, you can pound a press stud out with a big hammer and pull it in using a lug nut and a big breaker bar.
Sounds like you can remove the stud without removing the bearing.

</edit>

- Did you try using an impact gun? I bet you it has enough torque to remove the lug nut.

I do have the hub socket, impact gun and ball joint separator... But I wouldn't mind having a look myself before attempting a full rear bearing removal.

Keith
Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 AM

Keith,

-The studs cannot be removed without taking the hub out of the knuckle. The back of the studs hit something (according to smy search anyway, though I'm not sure exactly what it hits. If it's the dust shield, maybe I'll just cut a hole lol)

-The quote you posted is talking about pressing the studs into the hub, not the hub into knuckle. So again, the hub needs to come out to replace the studs.

-I guess I wasn't clear above, the stud on my car is stripped to where it connects to the hub. So an impact gun of infinite force would do no good, the nut and stud just spin together, if you see what I mean.

You do have most of the tools though! Using those, if all else fails, I could just run to a shop to press the bearing in and out of the knuckle. I'd greatly appreciate the help. Do you know if your ball joint seperator will work on the S2000? The DIY I linked seems to say that many of the common seperators don't do the job correctly on this car.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy has the first two items in your list, but he is out of town through the end of the week. s2kjr has the socket and I believe Hondassport has the wrench - Hope that helps
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM

Well hopefully it's the stud that's damaged and stripped and not the hub. I'd still wouldn't mind trying an impact gun and maybe trying to hold the back of the stud with a pair of vicegrips (if possible). But if you have that much room, you might as well cut the head off and pull the stud out with the lug nut.

Dunno if the ball joint separator will or won't work with the S2K. It worked on my Prelude.. and if all else fails, you can use a pickle fork... worse case scenario, you'll have to replace the boot and pack in some more grease.

I don't think you specifically need a impact gun and torque wrench rated up to 250 lbs. If you are worried about torquing the hub nut back on, just get a break bar and the hub socket... then give me 55 lbs and I'll stand on the breaker bar.

Keith
Old 10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Keith,Oct 16 2007, 01:37 PM
...... and if all else fails, you can use a pickle fork...Keith
Old 10-16-2007, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=Keith,Oct 16 2007, 02:37 PM]Well hopefully it's the stud that's damaged and stripped and not the hub.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:26 PM

I'm not a fan of pickle forks either... unless you know you are replacing the ball joint anyhow. But I don't see how it could do much more damage than the boot itself (which costs like $10).

Keith
Old 10-16-2007, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that ****ing wheel stud cost me a good sidestrake!

Your gonna take it BACK to the shop that over torqued it? I think you should put on a clinic in there on how to properly tighten lugnuts as to not destroy expensive shit on a customers car. I'll make a sign for you that we can put out in fornt of the shop:

"This Thursday only, expert wheel remover and lugnut tightner, FormulaRedline, along with guest speaker SlipAngle79 (master breaker bar operator) will show you how to safely remove and replace lug nuts!!! $25 per person/group discounts available"
Old 10-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by SlipAngle79,Oct 16 2007, 04:45 PM
"This Thursday only, expert wheel remover and lugnut tightner, FormulaRedline, along with guest speaker SlipAngle79 (master breaker bar operator) will show you how to safely remove and replace lug nuts!!! $25 per person/group discounts available"

Quick Reply: Need to change out the Hub