Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

lug nuts

Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lug nuts

I was pulling into the parking lot at my workplace today and heard a couple popping noises. My boss happened to be standing outside at the time and told me two of lug nuts just popped off my front passenger tire.
As we inspected the rest of the wheels, I discovered one more missing off the front driver side tire....

The wheels haven't come off since I had my car's safety inspection at Dobb's sometime at the beginning of this year. However, at the time, they noted that my wheels had somehow got reversed (front <-> back). The Honda near Lindbergh and 40 were the only other people who touched my wheels prior to this -so they must have been the ones who reversed the wheels. Dobb's wouldn't even reverse the wheels for me while they had the tires off for the inspection to correct it at the time without charging me for it! I said F that, if you're too cheap to put the wheels back in a different order, then you're not getting my business again. I don't drive my car too often, so it slipped under the cracks for me to go back to Honda and have them rotate the wheels. Well, anyway back to the lug nuts falling off. My only guess is that Dobb's over torqued the lug nuts back onto my car - however, I can see them saying something about my tires still being reversed and causing the lug nuts to fall off... maybe it could happen but I just don't see it. I guess I'll find out today. What do you all think? I'm still amazed that the lug nuts just sheared the stud right off as I was turning. I'm afraid to drive my car around for fear that more of the lug nuts will fall off.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:32 AM

well, after speaking with Dobb's - the state policy is that only 1 tire is pulled off for inspections. they no longer record which tire is inspected - unless the mechanic noted it on my inspection form. ... i hate these headaches...
Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 AM

how long have your drove your car with the tires on backwords? they are directionals i'm assuming if they were on backwords? someone correct me if i'm wrong but if you drove directionals backwords wouldn't your tires just basically either warp or fall apart if you drove it for longer than a few days? and by driving them the wrong way would cause excessive vibration to where it could be possible it vibrated your lugs loose?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by PktChge,Apr 24 2008, 10:40 AM
how long have your drove your car with the tires on backwords? they are directionals i'm assuming if they were on backwords? someone correct me if i'm wrong but if you drove directionals backwords wouldn't your tires just basically either warp or fall apart if you drove it for longer than a few days? and by driving them the wrong way would cause excessive vibration to where it could be possible it vibrated your lugs loose?
First thing I would do is make sure all of your lugs are torqued properly. It would suck to lose a wheel going 60+!

You can drive directionals the wrong way and have them not fall apart but you surely will notice it. I had a little mishap where one direction was moving correct and the other reversed and my car pulled towards the side that was correct. This also can damage your rear diff.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
d-j

Do you need another/spare?
I still have my oem...from long ago.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Something is fishy here. "my wheels had somehow got reversed (front <-> back)."

Honda S2000 OEM rims are hubcentric. The front axel hub is 70mm and the rear is 64mm. This system keeps the wheels from being swapped front to back, but allows owners to always put the spare on the front in the case of a rear flat. (Fronts can mount on rear, but not visa versa). If whatever shop really did try to put a rear S2000 rim (64mm centerbore) on the front hub (70mm), it would be impossible to seat it flush. I don't know what would happen if you forced this scenario, but backing off nug nuts doesn't sound unreasonable.

On another note, sorry to be such a rare poster dropping advice. I've been swinging by the site more lately and thought maybe I could shine some light on this particular issue.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=MarmadukeMSB,Apr 28 2008, 10:09 AM]Something is fishy here. "my wheels had somehow got reversed (front <-> back)."

Honda S2000 OEM rims are hubcentric.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Su2uKa,Apr 28 2008, 12:48 PM
.. difficult to say where the blame lies
OK, after thinking about it, it's not difficult: whoever originally rotated the rims is to blame - any Honda dealer (Huey's?) should definitely know better (if indeed it was them) but getting them to admit & fix would be difficult now...

I reckon you pursue this w/ them, but take the car somewhere else (close by) to get the rims inspected for damage, the sheared stud(s) replaced, & the rims & lugs mounted correctly
Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Su2uKa,Apr 28 2008, 02:50 PM
OK, after thinking about it, it's not difficult: whoever originally rotated the rims is to blame - any Honda dealer (Huey's?) should definitely know better (if indeed it was them) but getting them to admit & fix would be difficult now...

I reckon you pursue this w/ them, but take the car somewhere else (close by) to get the rims inspected for damage, the sheared stud(s) replaced, & the rims & lugs mounted correctly
I agree, you need to get the rear rims BACK on the rear axel and the front rims on the front, I would have the rear rims inspected for damage. sounds like the front hubs are already damaged.

The people who man the lube rack(I think that is who rotated your tires for you) are not techs , some are not even trained, my car was delivered with 5w-20 oil and a accord filter.Just because you take your car to a Honda dealer doesn't ensure good workmanship. Good Luck on this one.