Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Local Jobs

Old 01-03-2008 | 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,Jan 3 2008, 03:57 PM
If you actually "take home" 4-5k a month with no degree, I'd learn to love my job!

Even if you mean 4-5 before taxes, that's still a very, very good salary. You say you don't need that much, have you been saving the excess? You can get rich investing a bit of extra capital correctly.
That is actual money deposited into my account each month. If I didnt get taxed so bad it would be about 7-9 grand take home. I get taxed at about 44%, no home and single.

I tried to like it, love it, want it and I just can't do it. The industry is very harsh.

I do have quite a bit of money saved but I hope to use most of it for a house. I have a meeting with a stock broker next Monday to check on some investments. You have any advice on investing?
Old 01-03-2008 | 04:01 PM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE=FormulaRedline,Jan 3 2008, 03:57 PM] If you actually "take home" 4-5k a month with no degree, I'd learn to love my job!

Even if you mean 4-5 before taxes, that's still a very, very good salary.
Old 01-04-2008 | 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by 8BALL,Jan 3 2008, 07:01 PM

The average household income for Missouri is = $44K.. That's right... household. So.. if your making 4-5K/MO (even before taxes) you're well above the curve. Think about those households that have dual incomes and our average is still 44K.

I/we must be, no, ARE living the life!!
I know I am above average income but who wants to be average??

I am thinking the money is not available elsewhere unless I get a degree.

Perhaps I will go back to school.
Old 01-04-2008 | 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,Jan 3 2008, 04:57 PM
If you actually "take home" 4-5k a month with no degree, I'd learn to love my job!

Even if you mean 4-5 before taxes, that's still a very, very good salary. You say you don't need that much, have you been saving the excess? You can get rich investing a bit of extra capital correctly.
Yep... no degree and you are making some decent coin... the reason why you are probably getting paid well is because it's not the easiest job (like you said). Personally, I would continue to work and save some money to go back to school.

Keith
Old 01-04-2008 | 07:54 AM
Diz

I think I am going to hit the school option up next semester it's been in and out of my mind now for probably about 6 months...
Old 01-07-2008 | 06:52 PM

You're doing great! How about putting aside some $ for a few months, then taking a vacation to your dream spot - wherever that is. (?)
Old 01-07-2008 | 09:29 PM

26 year old making 6 figures without a degree

I wish I had the mindset to be a salesman. I hate cold calls, commission, and sales. I am not pushy enough to be successful, but sales is where the money is made.

If you have the mindset to sell and it sounds like you are really good at it there all all kinds of sales jobs out there. I am sure after some companies see how successful you are they would snatch you right up. Although if you are not happy with your current job it's probably the sales part you don't like. Insurance industry is booming, but you probably need a degree.

I know a guy who owns a hubcap business who would be interested in someone with your skills. He provides hubcaps, wheel skins, and grill covers, to just about every major dealership in the St. Louis area. Like I said, I hate sales, but did this job successfully while I was in college and liked it alot. The dealership already knows you are coming and expects you to be there, you just walk through the used car lot and show the manager a list of cars with damaged hubcaps. He approves the list and you replace the factory set with an aftermarket set. You get paid really well for each set you sell. He is looking to get out of the field and have someone work under him. Best of all you only work 3 days a week Mon, Wed, Fri. Probably not going to come close to the money you make now, but a genuine salesman would do very well at this job. The company has been around and doing this for about 15 years or so. It's my best friends dad who owns it. Let me know if you want more information.
Old 01-07-2008 | 09:33 PM

by the way I was just laid off in November. I have over 5 years of commercial real estate experience and an MBA.

If anyone knows of a company that may be looking for someone like me, please let me know!

No sales...
Old 01-07-2008 | 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doug1627,Jan 3 2008, 06:53 PM
That is actual money deposited into my account each month. If I didnt get taxed so bad it would be about 7-9 grand take home. I get taxed at about 44%, no home and single.

I tried to like it, love it, want it and I just can't do it. The industry is very harsh.

I do have quite a bit of money saved but I hope to use most of it for a house. I have a meeting with a stock broker next Monday to check on some investments. You have any advice on investing?
No investing advice, but don't let that money sit in a normal checking or savings account. What ever you don't invest with your broker you could be put in a high interest money market account. I have an online account through Countrywide.com called a "savings link" account. You open the account online and can link it to your bank account. Money is easy to transfer between accounts. Best of all it pays 5.25% APY RISK FREE! Check it out. I get a very nice interest deposit every month just for keeping my money in there.
Old 01-07-2008 | 10:21 PM

i just got "laid off" in december but got transfered to sales with charter communications. if we meet the min numbers, i will make 44,000 a year. someone last year cleared 80,000 and is in their mid 20's. I have been in sales for a month yet, and am still learning a lot. No cold calls at all. I cant do that. if you are good at what you do, education doesnt matter. friends dad and one of my ex's dad are making well in into 120,000 with no extra education.

Quick Reply: Local Jobs