Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

TS Fay and your homeowners insurance

Old 08-26-2008 | 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by VeilSide AP1,Aug 25 2008, 06:44 PM
So your saying that "Florida Department of Financial Services" is wrong? Have you done your continued studying?

Obviously, If you have Insurance on it and have applied coverage they will cover it, if not your pretty much screwed. I mean you gotta be retarded to file a claim on something thats not covered, i mean come on thats Common sense.
1) yeah. I know what's going on with citizens. My company does property adjusting for them and numerous other companies. There is no way the gov't would let citizens be in a position where they cannot pay for losses as required by the policy. That's why Citizens exists.

2) Of course it's common sense to not file a claim on something that's not covered. But be serious here. If everyone used common sense, there would be no such thing as a denial, right?

Both my wife and I are adjusters. She gets claims in almost daily that are denials. Those claims waste our time because, even though we know the cause, and we know it's not covered, we still have to investigate, as that's our ethical responsibility to the carrier and to the claimant. That costs the company money, and us time we could be putting to claims that need more attention, that actually have coverage for the loss.

Face it, with all the flooding going on due to Fay, I'd be willing to bet 50-75% of the affected homeowners will file a flood claim with their insurance carrier. They will be denied. And maybe 10-20% of them will think they can pull off some sort of win and get a lawyer. And they'll lose. Then the carrier is out all that money to defend a suit, which in turn costs the policyholders more money in premiums.

Spend some time talking to other adjusters and ask them how often they get claims that are denials. People just don't know wtf is going on with their policy. Their agent sells them something, and they think everything is covered. They don't bother to look at the policy language.

I like the mottoe: Caveat Emptor. It holds true in everything.
Old 08-26-2008 | 06:48 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

ok I want to buy better homeowner coverage. I can't find it.

I want replacement value, not depreciated value and I'm willing to pay for it. I don't want hurricane percentage adjustments.

I'm coastal but at 14'6" elevation. I carry flood insurance on all 4 buildings at my residence.

Is there a premium policy out there I can buy? If you're in the insurance biz, let me know. You can write my corporate business too.

fltsfshr
Old 08-26-2008 | 07:37 AM

there are some high-end carriers that will write you, such as lloyds of london and some offshoot companies owned by AIG.....but I can't think of the name right now.

Call the agent who posted in here, or call a local Brown & Brown agency too. They can usually find placement for you.

Good man carrying flood insurance.
Old 08-26-2008 | 08:06 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

my daughter in law is a commercial underwriter for brown and brown in Orlando. She writes most of the gulf coast incuding tampa.

I've asked her before, it's not there.

fltsfshr

I'll refer her to this thread.
Old 08-26-2008 | 12:23 PM

what companies can she write for?

Our company does adjusting for numerous carriers that insure homes on the gulf, as well as many of the islands/keys in SW FL, sanibel, etc.

Lexington is the carrier I was thinking of. They're owned by AIG, and they cover high-risk homes and high value properties.
Old 08-26-2008 | 12:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

I don't know Mike she's a vp and has a bunch of underwriters that work for her. I think she does mostly big commercial stuff like the ritz carlton etc.
Do you adjust Naples? Lots of big buck homes there

fltsfshr
Old 08-26-2008 | 02:42 PM

yeah, my branch of the company handles manatee county south, and west of lake okeechobee, so naples, ft. myers, etc.
Old 08-27-2008 | 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike,Aug 26 2008, 03:23 PM
what companies can she write for?

Our company does adjusting for numerous carriers that insure homes on the gulf, as well as many of the islands/keys in SW FL, sanibel, etc.

Lexington is the carrier I was thinking of. They're owned by AIG, and they cover high-risk homes and high value properties.
She works for Braishfield & Associates. She handles the commercial properties. Her office does not offer any resdential coverages currently. But they have some things in the works. She works with everyone in terms of coverage but mainly CNA, Lloyds, Safeco, and many more. If she was awake right now I would have put more information.
Old 08-28-2008 | 01:31 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Tigster,Aug 27 2008, 09:21 PM
She works for Braishfield & Associates. She handles the commercial properties. Her office does not offer any resdential coverages currently. But they have some things in the works. She works with everyone in terms of coverage but mainly CNA, Lloyds, Safeco, and many more. If she was awake right now I would have put more information.
Meet my kid. the owner of the only rx8 I know that jumped a certain Orlando owners sc'd s2000 and got him to admit it.

fltsfshr
Old 08-28-2008 | 07:51 AM

hahaha. RX8? Sacrelege(sp)!!!! I always thought my s2k was a torqueless wonder until I drove an RX8. Oh well.

My wife used to sell commercial down here, but hated agency work and got back into adjusting.

Quick Reply: TS Fay and your homeowners insurance