Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Traffic Citation for Exhaust

Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traffic Citation for Exhaust

Well...the topic title is kind of deceiving. I was driving along doing 51mph in a 35mph zone going downhill. I saw a cop traveling in the opposite direction turn around to get me. We pulled over and he told me he was pulling me over for two things, my speed and my exhaust. After a little sweet talking I got the speeding ticket dropped but he gave me a ticket for "loud exhaust."

Is this **** even legal? How can an officer give me a ticket for loud exhaust when he was traveling the other way?!? Granted, I was lucky to get out of the speeding part of it but do I stand any chance in court? The citation was for $91 bucks and was considered a "non-moving" violation.

Florida statues states hat if I am traveling above 35mph the loudest my exhaust can be 79db.

Florida statues also state: Any motor vehicle engaged in a professional or amateur sanctioned, competitive sports event for which admission or entry fee is charged, or practice or time trials for such event (is EXEMPT). I do take my car to Moroso in WPB to run the quarter... am I included in this? What kind of proof do I need?

Any help is appreciated!!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the greatest part of this is that the ad above your post said "fight your ticket" use tiknix.com hahahaha. all i can tell you is be happy your not in virginia where it is illegal to have almost anything done to your car and you cant even say Sh*t without getting a ticket.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 PM

I got a warning for the same thing on my way home from fitting my old Invidia. I didn't look in to the laws too much, but seem to remember something about the exhaust being open to replacement, so long as the noise level doesn't exceed that of stock.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go to court and ask the officer if he had a calibrated sound meter with him to determine the loudness. I bet it will get thrown out.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:48 AM

You don't see them pull over Harleys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbk' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:08 AM
I would go to court and ask the officer if he had a calibrated sound meter with him to determine the loudness. I bet it will get thrown out.
not sure if this is in Fl yet, but in Ca cops now don't even need a db reader, its all under the judgment of the cop.

you know you have a illegal exhaust, its made for off-road use only... Pay the fine and be done with it. It's happened to me many times back in Nazi-Cali, pay to play
Old 01-02-2009, 04:07 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Let sleeping dogs lay....You got off easy, he could have gave you the points and a nasty fine. plus the exhaust fine

You would have to spend a half day in driver improvement class to squash the points and still have to pay a fine.

I
Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

count your blessings... you earned the speeding ticket

see one a my previous posts
Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 AM

i agree with Puddy...

Let this one go. If he threw the book at you, I'd take it to court.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 AM

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by Another Florida Statute
316.293 Motor vehicle noise.
--(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--
(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.
(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.
(6) EXEMPT VEHICLES.--The following are exempt from the operation of this act:
(a) Emergency vehicles operating as specified in s. 316.072(5)(a).
(b) Any motor vehicle engaged in a professional or amateur sanctioned, competitive sports event for which admission or entry fee is charged, or practice or time trials for such event.

Quick Reply: Traffic Citation for Exhaust