Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Track Event Question

Old 05-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Event Question

A friend and fellow car/racing enthusiast told me today that track events that were deemed "driver improvement events" (or something similar, not sure if the exact terminology) were covered under insurance in the event of an accident.

Seeing as I've never done an event before I think it would put my nerves at ease and allow me to have a lot more fun if I knew I was covered under insurance.

Can anyone confirm or deny this or give me some more guidance?
If its true, specifically what kind of events are these?

Thanks,
-Will
Old 05-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I thinks it's for personal bodily injury and not car insurance.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by djdorifto,May 19 2009, 01:10 PM
I thinks it's for personal bodily injury and not car insurance.
Lol, I was more worried about hurting the car than myself.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

You can also buy track-day insurance for HPDE events.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig,May 19 2009, 01:48 PM
You can also buy track-day insurance for HPDE events.
Through who? Any idea on approx how much it runs?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Search the track forum, but it's based on the stated value of your car. At one point when I looked, I was thinking it would be <$150 for a track day.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told that once as well but I called my ins agent and he said that nothing track related is covered. Not event the parade lap for the SPGP. My roommate is an ins adjuster he said he has never seen anything on policy that would cover track related events either. Your best bet would be to buy track day ins or in the even of an accident tow your car to the street and say it happened there. IMO.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TerminatioN,May 19 2009, 04:45 PM
Lol, I was more worried about hurting the car than myself.
rofl, I yeah...It be nice if track events can do that, but i haven't heard of one that does
Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 AM

kalibo, you're asking the wrong question. Track = racing, as far as insurance is concened. You should be asking if you're covered for a driver's education event held on a closed course.

One of our local guys (CoralDoc) had something break in his suspension at Sebring a few years ago during a Chin event. The car spun, smacked a wall and was totalled. Insurance covered that one. This was several years back, so insurers may have tightened things down since then.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the regular insurance companies do recognize Driver Eds and they are covered. Not all. And if you have one that does, and something happens, be prepared to either stay with them at a higher premium with less coverage. Ours gave us three weeks to find a new insurance policy.

Which leads me to Lockton-Affinity. If you have never been to a DE before, chances are you'll be fine but may want the security blanket, you may want to look into them. They insure organizations that they have checked out to be giving Driver Ed, meaning there is classroom, instructors and different run groups of like-drivers. You can read more about them here: http://darksidede.com/DEInsurance.html and there are links to articles and to Lockton-Affinity itself.

Have fun at your first DE. Maybe we'll entice you to join us the second weekend in November at Roebling Road... (Saturday night dinner is Italian Night!) okay, shameless plug - but we'd love to have you up there.

P.S. Our 944 worth about 14,000 insures for our 3 day event at $79. While my friend's RX8 was $141. Depends on the value of your car - and they have an estimator program on their site to give you an idea what it will cost you.

Oh, and they don't cover every DE. They cover the ones that are listed. If you are going to a DE not listed, have their organizers call them (Ryan Staub) to see if they can have their DE covered.

To answer your other question about kind of event is it?
If you are into driving at fast speeds, it will probably be the most fun event you have ever been to.

You learn how to control your car at fast speed without a siren coming up behind you -- at the same time you are being coached as to how to be a better driver - more observant and definitely more aware of your surroundings.

Once you do one - I'm sure you'll be hooked.

Quick Reply: Track Event Question