Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

They do the jobs Americans don't want

Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many are here in Plant City with the Strawberry picking in full swing.

Perspective:

I spent some time in the Middle East a few years ago while our company was working on a large project (construction of new Convention Center in Saudi Arabia) and while at the site for a few weeks noticed most of the workers were from Bangladesh, Pakistan & India.

I found out they worked for an average of $60.00 per week ($3,120 per year) and company provided housing (which was very sub standard). They could work and at this rate and send the majority of their income home to family and still live better then if they worked in their own country.

During a discussion one day they (thru an interpreter) started asking me what it was like to live in America? The thing that struck me most was their view of life in America, which was that the "poor" could earn 10K per year on "welfare" doing nothing.

I am not suggesting they all had aspirations of coming to America to get welfare but that Americans could do nothing and make 3 times more than them at a job that paid well by their countries standards.

Imagine that perspective!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1,Jan 30 2008, 04:31 PM

Perspective:

I spent some time in the Middle East a few years ago while our company was working on a large project (construction of new Convention Center in Saudi Arabia) and while at the site for a few weeks noticed most of the workers were from Bangladesh, Pakistan & India.

I found out they worked for an average of $60.00 per week ($3,120 per year) and company provided housing (which was very sub standard). They could work and at this rate and send the majority of their income home to family and still live better then if they worked in their own country.

During a discussion one day they (thru an interpreter) started asking me what it was like to live in America? The thing that struck me most was their view of life in America, which was that the "poor" could earn 10K per year on "welfare" doing nothing.

I am not suggesting they all had aspirations of coming to America to get welfare but that Americans could do nothing and make 3 times more than them at a job that paid well by their countries standards.

this is not just a Middle East perspective either ... the rest of the world looks at us and just shakes their heads and rolls their eyes. This gov't we have is doing everything they can to be parents to us all and make us truly dependent ... with no chance of ever being self-sufficient. It's thoughts like xupthree60 that is fueling that process. The american people are becoming a population of crying children. Pathetic.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red1,Jan 30 2008, 05:31 PM

Perspective:

And yet most Americans still can't figure out why most of the rest of the world hates us.
It's our own fault for letting ourselves as Americans create this disgusting consuming monster that is our society...it's no wonder that our government reflects our own bad decisions...we vote them in, and then bitch when they follow society's example and destroy everything they touch.

I for one try everything in my power to buy only what I need, but I do splurge and buy want items from time to time...we all do, and as such continue to support the demosclerosis of society and govt, continuing the inevitable trend towards self destruction.

The entire economic thought process is to blame. Could you imagine how the world would have turned out if humans weren't concerned with personal gain, but focused on the advancement of society as a whole?

Hopefully the survivors of this next century (yes, I chose the word survivor for a reason) are intelligent enough to realize that money truly is the root of all that is evil and the ultimate source of our own demise, and society evolves into one that isn't self centered.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,Jan 30 2008, 01:43 PM
And yet most Americans still can't figure out why most of the rest of the world hates us.
It's our own fault for letting ourselves as Americans create this disgusting consuming monster that is our society...it's no wonder that our government reflects our own bad decisions...we vote them in, and then bitch when they follow society's example and destroy everything they touch.

I for one try everything in my power to buy only what I need, but I do splurge and buy want items from time to time...we all do, and as such continue to support the demosclerosis of society and govt, continuing the inevitable trend towards self destruction.

The entire economic thought process is to blame. Could you imagine how the world would have turned out if humans weren't concerned with personal gain, but focused on the advancement of society as a whole?

Hopefully the survivors of this next century (yes, I chose the word survivor for a reason) are intelligent enough to realize that money truly is the root of all that is evil and the ultimate source of our own demise, and society evolves into one that isn't self centered.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Heavy stuff!!

I may have to unload all my firearms if I keep reading this thread. (JK)
Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=wildcardtrd,Jan 30 2008, 01:43 PM] And yet most Americans still can't figure out why most of the rest of the world hates us.

The entire economic thought process is to blame.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM

There are many interesting points of view in this thread.

I did a little research and most of the views that have been expressed here are not, indeed, original.

A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779

Repeal that [welfare] law, and you will soon see a change in their manners. St. Monday and St. Tuesday, will soon cease to be holidays. Six days shalt thou labor, though one of the old commandments long treated as out of date, will again be looked upon as a respectable precept; industry will increase, and with it plenty among the lower people; their circumstances will mend, and more will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them.
Benjamin Franklin, letter to Collinson, 1753

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
Thomas Paine, 1776
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM

I have read through this thread, and I really don't know that I have figured out what the point of it is. It reminds me of what Jean-Luc Goddard said, "Every movie has a beginning, a middle and an end, but not necessarily in that order."
Old 01-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jesusphish,Jan 30 2008, 08:42 PM
There are many interesting points of view in this thread.

I did a little research and most of the views that have been expressed here are not, indeed, original.

A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779

Repeal that [welfare] law, and you will soon see a change in their manners. St. Monday and St. Tuesday, will soon cease to be holidays. Six days shalt thou labor, though one of the old commandments long treated as out of date, will again be looked upon as a respectable precept; industry will increase, and with it plenty among the lower people; their circumstances will mend, and more will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them.
Benjamin Franklin, letter to Collinson, 1753

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
Thomas Paine, 1776
Huh?

I don't see the corelations you are drawing between this thread and those quotations.

I just wanted to know where the migrant workforce that was here went to. And to point out that there were residents and citizens who were ready to do the jobs our politician friends said they wouldn't do.

Part time work availability does have an effect within the retired community especially as many senior incomes are fixed. A lot of senior citizens are now working once again in grocery stores here. Were seniors on fixed incomes being deprived of jobs by the influx of migrant labor?

fltsfshr

Old 01-30-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Jan 30 2008, 06:29 PM

Part time work availability does have an effect within the retired community especially as many senior incomes are fixed. A lot of senior citizens are now working once again in grocery stores here. Were seniors on fixed incomes being deprived of jobs by the influx of migrant labor?

fltsfshr
My answer to your question is yes.

To quote Dennis Miller "I have nothing against imigrants, just sign the guest book on your way in".
Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by triman54,Jan 30 2008, 05:19 PM
Lest anyone play on whatever small sense of sentimentality lies deep beneath us; lest anyone petition us as capitalists to bequeath them charitable solemnities: I say unto him, "If you see a hungry man, the unkindest thing you can do for him is to give him food. For the great tragedy of homo sapiens is that the least fit to survive breed the most."
A person more verbose than I????

I am having this etched in platinum and hung over my threshold.

I think I love this guy

Quick Reply: They do the jobs Americans don't want