Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

They do the jobs Americans don't want

Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With our current welfare system american's would rather collect than work jobs that dont pay well. What does that say?

Rob- Where is this amazing bacon despenser at? I'm very hungry for bacon now.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triman54,Jan 30 2008, 08:15 AM
Well, if you want to avoid turning up the heat, stick to non-controversial issues like religion versus science or intelligent design versus Darwinian evolution.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 AM

Valid points by everyone. As to your orginal observation fltsfshr, personally I have not seen a change or decrease in migrant workers. However, I do think that it reflects more so depending on the area.

For instance, I use to live by the airport and I can assure you that I saw more workers at the Publix and stores in that area being of a latino descent as it was more of a small hispanic community/area. In the heavily prevalent family area of Waterford, I still see the local kids working there and in my area of Altamonte Springs, it's a mixture of all three demographics, kids, retirees, and possible immigrants.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't noticed any change in my part of Orlando...in fact, I do believe the Puerto Rican cultural influence is still increasing, as more billboards in my area (Semoran/Colonial intersection) are being printed entirely in Spanish.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

It's obvious we've had a population segment shift here. I don't know where they've gone.

I believe it coincides with the retreat of contractors as the housing bubble burst but I don't know. I'm aware some growers didn't plant this year but that still wouldn't account for the change.

fltsfshr
Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Jan 30 2008, 01:47 PM
It's obvious we've had a population segment shift here. I don't know where they've gone.

I believe it coincides with the retreat of contractors as the housing bubble burst but I don't know. I'm aware some growers didn't plant this year but that still wouldn't account for the change.

fltsfshr
I can you were they didn't go.... back to their original country.

They just shift to where the jobs are. I once read a great article about the migration of "migrant" workers.

Also, with some states now offering drivers licenses you have seen many illegals migrate towards those states. With a legal State ID many believe they will be immune to deportation because local and state officials may not challenge their illegality due to this ID. Are they wrong? of course but it brings hope.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by PrimoGen,Jan 30 2008, 09:00 AM
and do you think for one second that if all of the illegal workers, who work for so little because they dont have to pay taxes and dont have the same liabilities as americans, were to suddenly have to become "legal" and pay taxes and contribute to society, would work for the rate they currently do so at?

hell no

as soon as they would be forced to do what the rest of us do every day, their standard of work and pay would fall in step to us americans pretty damn quick. They dont complain or demand more now because what they are doing is illegal. Start taking money away from them while validating their position and see what happens....

<can-o-worms>
totally agree ... with that and with your follow-up post.

It is a similar scenario with Walmart ... they tried to 'buy american' which typically cost them more. Then, when they realized the american consumer didn't care as much about origin and more about price ... they changed their buying.

We, as typical americans, are like this. We want our cake and eat it too (as the saying goes). We have to start being more realistic about our lifestyles and the impact we have on our own economy. Blaming the corporate leaders and politicians is a lost cause. This is OUR country and WE ('the people'?) are responsible for it.

yes ... i'm ready for an economic revolution. Anyone else?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by triman54,Jan 30 2008, 08:15 AM
Well, if you want to avoid turning up the heat, stick to non-controversial issues like religion versus science or intelligent design versus Darwinian evolution.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bandiscoot,Jan 30 2008, 03:30 PM
totally agree ... with that and with your follow-up post.

It is a similar scenario with Walmart ... they tried to 'buy american' which typically cost them more. Then, when they realized the american consumer didn't care as much about origin and more about price ... they changed their buying.

We, as typical americans, are like this. We want our cake and eat it too (as the saying goes). We have to start being more realistic about our lifestyles and the impact we have on our own economy. Blaming the corporate leaders and politicians is a lost cause. This is OUR country and WE ('the people'?) are responsible for it.

yes ... i'm ready for an economic revolution. Anyone else?
I've been ready for an economic revolution for awhile now...the entire system is flawed, and not only are we as American's suffering from our own ineptitude as a society, but we're ( global society, not just Americans) stripping the planet of every resource at an unreplenishable rate and destroying the very environment we have no choice but to live in.

I give us 15 years before the system crashes and society is forced to do a hard "reboot"

The current oil based global society is on borrowed time...whether it be a matter of supply and demand or irreversible environmental damage, one way or another, the world we live in cannot sustain itself, and unless some major overhauling is done, and fast (which we all know isn't going to happen), our current way of life is going to come to a catastrophic and probable apocalyptic end. There's just no avoiding it at current population and consumption rates.

My rant. Mark my words.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,Jan 30 2008, 04:25 PM
I've been ready for an economic revolution for awhile now...the entire system is flawed, and not only are we as American's suffering from our own ineptitude as a society, but we're ( global society, not just Americans) stripping the planet of every resource at an unreplenishable rate and destroying the very environment we have no choice but to live in.

I give us 15 years before the system crashes and society is forced to do a hard "reboot"

The current oil based global society is on borrowed time...whether it be a matter of supply and demand or irreversible environmental damage, one way or another, the world we live in cannot sustain itself, and unless some major overhauling is done, and fast (which we all know isn't going to happen), our current way of life is going to come to a catastrophic and probable apocalyptic end. There's just no avoiding it at current population and consumption rates.

My rant. Mark my words.
i agree

Quick Reply: They do the jobs Americans don't want