Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

is there a down side to remote start?

Old 08-28-2002 | 10:46 AM

Default is there a down side to remote start?

i want to get an alarm like tommys or joes and i want the remote start i have heard from some people that it is bad and it can hurt our car. i don't really know that much about the remote starters. can you guys give me any advice on this! which alarm should i look at?
Old 08-28-2002 | 11:43 AM
mav

I don't advise getting an alarm with remote start (although I'm sure that Joe will disagree). Personally I think its useless. Besides, our cars are manual, and many of us are used to putting the car in 1st Gear when parked, just as a precaution to prevent the car from rolling, making the remote start option impossible. Besides, you don't want to press the wrong button by accident and start your car up.

As for alarms...

Alpine is really good. Keith has one. The new ones have shock and proximity sensors (both a must of this car) and its fairly cheap. I think Keith got his for $150 on the net.

Clifford is good too with many features but can be expensive. Also, I used to have many, many problems with them, partly due to the poor install. I had to change the brain in my old 8000 unit at least once every 6 months.

Joe has the UltraStart. I haven't heard too much about them, but RJ recommends them and it looks pretty good.

I have the AutoPage with Shock and DEI Proximity. I have the auto start option but I have mine disabled. So far no problems and I like it.

Finally I recommend having RJ install whichever you decide to get. Good luck! A good alarm is only effective if the install is great.
Old 08-28-2002 | 12:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

I have a Clifford. It works great no problems. I plan to add the remote start sometimne in the near future. The nice thing about the cliford is that you can adjust and disable the proximity sensor right from the remote. Mav is right any alarm is only as good as the installer. I installed mine myself, and would recomend RJ to anyone. He is an excellent installer.

I also added the window module to the alarm

Mitch
Old 08-28-2002 | 12:49 PM

I can adjust and disable my proximity with the remote on the Alpine as well.
Old 08-28-2002 | 01:25 PM
mav

If I remove a few panels here and there and crawl upside down into the foot well area, I can adjust my proximity too.
Old 08-28-2002 | 03:52 PM

Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I've been looking around for an alarm and I've come to find out that it's not that cheap. The couple of installers I spoke to wanted between $600-$800 dollars for alarms w/ pagers. So I just figured I would see what you guys thought about it.
Old 08-28-2002 | 05:23 PM

So far the UltraStart works great, as far as the remote start it depends on what you wan't. Remote start work's great, only problem is you get used to having it and won't give it up. The reason I got it is because I like to warm the engine up before I take off, and got tired of waiting in the car for the few extra minutes. The car won't start if you leave it in gear, so you don't have to worry about that. We all agree on having RJ install it. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2002 | 06:17 AM
Banned

You should ask Leo about this, but the biggest disadvantage to having a remote start would be if you leave your car in gear when you park it. I heard a horrifying story of somone's Type-R being parked in front of a ditch and when the car was started, the brand new JDM front end conversion went head first into the ditch. OUCH!!!
Old 08-29-2002 | 07:35 AM

Originally posted by BrownEydTrouble
You should ask Leo about this, but the biggest disadvantage to having a remote start would be if you leave your car in gear when you park it. I heard a horrifying story of somone's Type-R being parked in front of a ditch and when the car was started, the brand new JDM front end conversion went head first into the ditch. OUCH!!!
It appears that all the systems above will not start if the car is in gear; therefore, this should not be an issue.
Old 08-29-2002 | 08:38 AM

thank you guys for all the info!

Quick Reply: is there a down side to remote start?