Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

sighting: wrecked S2000...

Old 07-18-2002, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol
Old 07-18-2002, 10:25 AM
Banned

My S02's are worn yes, I will admit to that but I have about an eighth of an inch left, 18K miles. Its time for new ones, but the wires aren't showing and its not bad enough to be dangerous. With deep pockets, I would definitely have replaced them, but since I have to save up for them, they are not bad just yet. The back end just swung around with out any warning, after a quick lurch forward. I spun out once doing about 55 on a wet road and it didn't feel the same. I felt my car give in that instance so I was able to keep some contol of the car. And on the highway, doing about 65 in the rain, I can keep control of the car if it starts to give. This was totally different. It was the middle of the afternoon, good visibility, no puddles, and I was going slow. I was only in 3rd gear. The guys at the shop are pretty much convinced that something went wrong, it will be put on the lift this afternoon.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:39 AM

If your tires in the rear locked up Jackie, then its definately mechanical, that should never happen. Did they check your differential?
Old 07-18-2002, 11:00 AM
Banned

They are checking it today. By the time that I got it to the shop yesterday, it was too late to put it on the lift. I will make sure to mention it to them and make sure they check it.

Thanks a lot for the support guys, I really appreciate it. I am really glad for all the different opinions and input, whatever they may be. I am just glad that I was ok and nothing happened to me, like you said Laz, the car can be fixed. I am also glad that there was no one on the road at that particular moment and that I didn't hit anyone. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, no matter how minor the damage was. I just couldn't look when they dragged it onto the truck, it was horrible.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by airsport
[B]I really hate to see a thread take a turn like this. Somebody has a problem and someone else jumps to a conclusion... Then it turns in to a urination match.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by BrownEydTrouble
Wow, Chris, your analytical skills are impressive. I just hope that you don't jump to conclusions when defending any of your clients. I would really hate to be in their shoes.

First of all, if it was truly my "driving skills" that caused my tranny to go bad, then logically my clutch would be fried, correct? Well, its not. Its intact, with just normal wear and tear. Second of all, I was aware that my tires were somewhat bald, but unlike you who has plenty of money to throw around, I couldn't afford to get new tires just yet. And if you had two brain cells to rub together, you would realize that from my description of the accident, its not really that common to spin out doing only 35 mph, which leaves the discusion open to tranny failure. I had my car checked out and it was the opinion of the Service Manager at Rick Case that my transmission was failing because of poor workmaship or defective parts, not bad driving skills. Otherwise, it would not be covered under warranty.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by BrownEydTrouble
My S02's are worn yes, I will admit to that but I have about an eighth of an inch left, 18K miles. Its time for new ones, but the wires aren't showing and its not bad enough to be dangerous. With deep pockets, I would definitely have replaced them, but since I have to save up for them, they are not bad just yet. The back end just swung around with out any warning, after a quick lurch forward. I spun out once doing about 55 on a wet road and it didn't feel the same. I felt my car give in that instance so I was able to keep some contol of the car. And on the highway, doing about 65 in the rain, I can keep control of the car if it starts to give. This was totally different. It was the middle of the afternoon, good visibility, no puddles, and I was going slow. I was only in 3rd gear. The guys at the shop are pretty much convinced that something went wrong, it will be put on the lift this afternoon.
I can't believe anyone is driving around on S02's with 18,000 miles, I know that when I had them at 8,000 miles they were dangerous to drive on. At 30mph I almost lost control a couple of times. By the way Chris you should just shoot yourself for being able to afford new tires, or maybe if someone can't afford the new tires they shouldn't be driving the car.( YUGO maybe) I guess if there is a problem with the tranny, that is probably a good reason Blackeyepea shouldn't buy a used car, or a brown one for that matter.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:53 AM

glad you're ok jackie
cars can be fixed
my S-02s were sketchy as hell in the rain with 8K on them and 1/8" of tread left, add a mechanical failure to that and I can see things going bad real quick!

I hear ya about budgets and tires!
here's my solution- kumho 712s, better in the rain than new S-02s, at least 90% as good in the dry, wear a little better and are under $100 each from tirerack!

-V
Old 07-18-2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by quaesta

If you are referring to me I suggest you go and pull some prior posts before chiming in on matters I know you are unfamiliar with.
Why would you think I'm referring to you?
Old 07-18-2002, 01:22 PM

Jackie,

I know you guys saw the post about failed S02's in the rain. My wife and my buddy can both drive and they both lost control on wet ground with worn S02's. IMHO, this is the wrong tire for this car during a rainy season. That being said, your car can be fixed, you are not hurt, you may get enough to replace you tires and you have a great tale to tell your friends. "Hey I was driving down the road when bam - little green Honda aliens locked up my back tires and spun me around (new way of probing). Then they threw me to the curb and apologized for the rough handling of your superior choice in transportation. They tried to teleport the S2K to their ship, but lost control of the car and damaged the suspension in the process."
It is just a car, keep telling yourself that.
I hope that this serves as another example to wet weather drivers that S02's, whether severely worn or 1/2 tread, are unsuited for wet driving. Please be cautious if you are still using these tires.
Be safe...

Vincent

Quick Reply: sighting: wrecked S2000...