Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Save the MOOBS

Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Save the MOOBS

Hi everyone.

I haven’t been posting much over the past three weeks. I need to tell you the story why.

About four months ago, by chance, I found a pea sized lump in my right breast. Being the typical guy, I blew it off and said it will go away. It didn't. The week before Thanksgiving, I went into see my doctor for a checkup and decided to mention it to him. I saw great concern within his eyes. He sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound, the next day.

Now comes the scary part, thirty minutes after I leave the radiology department, I get a call from my doctor's office wanting me to come in immediately. I can’t tell you frightened I was. Apparently the radiologist called my doctor immediately about what he saw. When my doctor came into the exam room, I said "This can't be good news". He told me that indeed there was a suspicious mass and that he was scheduling me into see a surgeon. Holy crap!!! I was really scared now!!!!!

I went to see the surgeon and she assured me that the mass was very small and localized but it needed to be removed and sent for biopsy. She believed that if it was cancerous that it was stage zero and my chances of survival were very good.

This was surreal. My chances of survival are good? The fear factor was at an unbelievable level.

I have never had real surgery with general anesthesia so my anxiety level was out the roof. This past Wednesday, I went in for outpatient surgery. I am not sure what drugs they gave me before the surgery but I wanted to take some home with me LOL. The gurney ride to the operating room was almost as fun as driving the dragon in the S. Then it was lights out.

The surgery only took 15 minutes which was a good sign. The surgeon removed the lump and there was no spreading or infiltration of the surrounding tissue.

Now came the tough part, Waiting. We were told it would be 3-5 days for the pathology report to come back. It was a scary time. I was still planning on going to the Kamispeed meet but I knew my heart wasn’t going to be in it.

Late Thursday afternoon, I get a call from the surgeon’s office. My heart skipped a beat as I waited to hear the news……..The mass was BENIGN. I felt like a 10,000 pound weight was lifted from my shoulders. The lump was a hemangioma, it is growth of the vascular tissue. It is extremely rare in the breast and almost unheard of in males. On a mammogram , it has exactly the same appearance of Adenocarcinoma , the bad breast cancer, so I can see why all the doctors were concerned.

Why am I sharing this with you? Guys!!!! You need to routinely check the “Moobs” for lumps. Breast cancer in men is very rare but it does occur. (The drummer from Kiss is a breast cancer survivor) Because men tend to ignore small lumps and hope they go away, male breast cancer is not caught early it tends to have a much higher death rate than for women. Over 25% of men diagnosed with breast cancer, die! So guys, perform the self exam on yourself. If you find something, don’t hope that it goes away. Talk to your doctor. The chances are remote that it is cancer but you need to make sure.

“Save the Moobs”

Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Chip!

First I am glad to hear you are fine, what an experience. I am sure you were scared beyond belief (I know I would be).

Thanks for having the courage to share your story here.

See ya tomorrow at CB and I promise to keep the Moob Jokes to a minimum.

Again glad to hear your prognosis was good!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 AM

Chip:

As a cancer member, I am VERY glad you have not been submitted for membership Ship like this sorta gives you a new perspective on LIFE!

J
Old 12-05-2009, 06:23 AM

Moob jokes need to be at an all time high, not curtailed!!!

as a card carrying member, I feel it is my duty to come up with new puns and jokes.

Seriously though I am glad you are OK Chip and the first time you "go under" is always the scariest.

Hopefully you will never have to go through that again.

I think I am going to break out the Moobs shirt and wear it in honor and support of your ordeal
Old 12-05-2009, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by PrimoGen,Dec 5 2009, 11:23 AM
Moob jokes need to be at an all time high, not curtailed!!!

as a card carrying member, I feel it is my duty to come up with new puns and jokes.

Seriously though I am glad you are OK Chip and the first time you "go under" is always the scariest.

Hopefully you will never have to go through that again.

I think I am going to break out the Moobs shirt and wear it in honor and support of your ordeal
Old 12-05-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Elroy,Dec 5 2009, 11:12 AM
Ship like this sorta gives you a new perspective on LIFE!
Indeed. I feel like my life has new meaning and I am planning on doing lots of stuff that I have wanted to do.

"Life is short, eat your dessert first"

I did not know you were a cancer survivor
Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 AM

Wow, I'm glad everything turned out ok!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok Chip. I'm sure if you ever need a moob transplant Barry would be more then happy to help you out
Old 12-05-2009, 07:23 AM

WOW....real glad to hear the outcome was as positive as I was hoping for when reading through this event. I'll share my similiar experience with you in person tomorow morning at breakfast. We'll compare scars ...............
Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 AM

Glad it all turned out ok Chip.

Quick Reply: Save the MOOBS