84.21%
Try to repair and match the paint
15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Repair Shop Responsibilty

Old 02-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Repair Shop Responsibilty

If you received a new $2300 set of Volk Racing wheels today and you brought the wheels to a local reputable Automotive Shop to have the tires mounted and balanced, then he told you that he accidentally damaged the outer lip on one wheel, (about 1/4 inch gouge), does he owe you a new wheel or do you let him repair it as he suggests? Repair shop is to remain nameless.

Votes and comments appreciated!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new wheel. You brought it as a new wheel. If it was a year or older, a repair might suffice. But the wheel was brand new.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm no expert on this subject but my limited understanding of the law is that shop must repair or replace; meaning they would try to repair first and if they cannot then they would replace. Here in Miami we have Turbax wheel they will repair the rims to factory condition I'm sure you have a shop in Orlando or Tampa that can do the same. Good luck
Old 02-10-2007, 07:31 AM

MYS2KI,
That may be true however under the circumstance of liability, there is also the act of negligence because according to a Mackin Industries (sole importer for Volk, Advan, and Ray
Old 02-10-2007, 08:21 AM

I think SickHonda had a problem exactly like this.

PM him on how it went. I think he is out in your area.

my thoughts.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 AM

How bad is it? If it was me I would definetly try to get a new wheel out of them.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 AM

FIDreaming,
It is about a quarter of an inch. But, for a new Volk wheel, and to me, it is alot. Yesterday, I took the day off from work, because my new wheels were to arrive. Vinny GPW52K has already made me an offer on my stocks, so they are boxed up and ready to be shipped. So, as of yesterday, I am without a vehicle until Wed. or Thurs, to see how the repair "looks". They say that they are sending the wheel out Monday morning.
Anybody that has met me has always seen a clean car. Always garaged kept and when it is outside, it has its' car cover on. I am a fanatic about detail. Even the 2003-2007 S-2000's suffer from a small gap at the rear-right bumper where it meets the taillight that Honda has not corrected yet. I had to fix that by pulling the taillight assembly and place a rivet to correct the problem.
My Mackin Industries rep said that that even Ray's Engineering has a hard time color matching the special order mercury silver.
I am getting more angry as the weekend progresses, however, I feel that it is only proper not to name names as they are a well reputable company and were sincerely apologetic.
Anyways, here are a couple of pics that I took a few minutes ago. It only has three wheels currently. The damaged one is in the shop for the weekend. I know, I know what you are going to say. LOWER THAT DANG THING!!! I do intend to when I get the $$$$ for some Variant 3 coilovers. Heck, I would even ask this shop to do the install if they find it in their hearts to replace this rim.

Thank You for your time,
Thraak

Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 AM

Hmmmmm...

Well, they surely did not do it on purpose. So be it on your new wheels. If they are being professional and making dilligent attempts to repair the wheel, then I say give them a chance to repair it.

If it is completely repaired, without issue, then great. If not, they will probably replace it at that point.

Did they charge you for mounting and balancing, etc.? I suspect they did not, as what shop would.

If not, then you may come out ahead in the end.

Keep in mind, in six months, you may have curbed the wheel or attained some scuffs anyway, having forgotten completely about a small scuff that was repaired perfectly. I hear a good repair shop will make it look like factory!

You state the shop is reputable, and they are probably that way for a reason, so they will probably maintain that reputation, and make this right. A good reputation is only gained from doing things right all along, ya' know.

Keep us up to date on this. I hope the shop shows professionalism and makes things right. Either way, be sure to let us know the outcome. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Thank You Caputo for the reply.
No, absolutely, they did not do this intentionally. And they were apologetic, if they weren't I would be naming names. However, as being a "high-end" automotive repair shop, I chose them carefully and placed my confidence in them. No, they did not charge me the $80 that was agreed upon for the mounting and balance. (I brought them the new wheels, new tires and valve stems in my Accord), with the protective coverings over the lips of the Volks. I would have gladly given them, and still will, $80 for the services rendered, however, besides the inconvenience, I do not believe I should have to wait and accept a "repaired" new wheel. Furthermore, you mention, "curbing", this is the exact reason why I currently have my OEM wheels up for sale and have accepted a low offer on them.

Sincerely,
Thraak
Old 02-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by thraak,Feb 10 2007, 01:56 PM
Thank You Caputo for the reply.
No, absolutely, they did not do this intentionally. And they were apologetic, if they weren't I would be naming names. However, as being a "high-end" automotive repair shop, I chose them carefully and placed my confidence in them. No, they did not charge me the $80 that was agreed upon for the mounting and balance. (I brought them the new wheels, new tires and valve stems in my Accord), with the protective coverings over the lips of the Volks. I would have gladly given them, and still will, $80 for the services rendered, however, besides the inconvenience, I do not believe I should have to wait and accept a "repaired" new wheel. Furthermore, you mention, "curbing", this is the exact reason why I currently have my OEM wheels up for sale and have accepted a low offer on them.

Sincerely,
Thraak
This is a tough situation for all involved. I suspect they are stressed over causing the issue, as you are for having to deal wih it.

Quick Reply: Repair Shop Responsibilty