Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Problem with S&R

Old 11-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyana,Nov 22 2009, 05:44 PM
These threads always trouble me regardless of the shop or the car owner involved. While I understand the OP's frustration this is an open or unresolved issue. I understand she is looking for advice but contacting S&R seems rather obvious to me.

No one here knows what happened or who saw what when yet we act as judge and jury against both parties.

The OP should contact the shop to discuss the issue to give them a chance to resolve the problem. Once this is done, report away. As S owners we all want and deserve to know if a vendor in the community is providing good or bad service however (in my opinion) the report should be based on the entire story from start to finish. We all know there are always two sides to every story.

Glad you caught this before the tire blew out on the interstate, that could have been a very dangerous situation.

Good Luck with getting this resolved.
Nicely put Pappa Barre!

J
Old 11-22-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

as well

Good luck to you, I hope you find out what caused the issue in the first place.

Feel free to PM/call me anytime if you have questions about your car
Old 11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

The most important lesson, is that you simply cannot look at the outer sidewalls of your tires! You have got to visually inspect the entire tire, from the inside wall across to the outside!

It takes literally zero time to look at all 4 tires once a week (or per fill up). There is no reason why a person can't take the time to look at all 4 tires to check for wear.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:41 PM

Hmmm... Tough one for sure. I don't think "malice" is in question here, by no means was anything malicious done... but there is gray area in regards to making the customer aware of the *entire* situation and offering professional advice with the customers best interest in mind.

If S&R is performing an alignment, they have the responsibility to let that customer know his tires are worn and possibly dangerous (they are afterall working on that 'system' of the vehicle). Unless the customer has a repertoire with the shop, they should be treated as if they know nothing about cars - regardless of what he drives or what's done to it - and give advise as such.

Think about it like this... If I come to a shop and say "hey my brakes are bad. Please install these new rotors" and while installing the rotors the tech notices the pads are bad, or the lines are leaking... do they have a responsibility to tell me 'hey, we replaced the rotors, but the problem is probably X (pads or lines)"? Of course they do. That's why they are a PROFESSIONAL shop, not a shadetree mechanic.

I can understand that if he took his car to a buddy of a friend that does work out of his garage that this happens. But a shop that is, I assume, SAE Certified, should know better... and I would guess be liable for every car that rolls off it's lift.

Do I think the customer should call the shop before posting, eh, I don't know. Could this be embarrassing for S&R? Sure.

Forums are here to get advice on questions you don't know the answer to. I don't think the OP is hanging S&R out to dry or rushing to judgment (no "Look what S&SR did") I think he was honestly confused and came to those he trusted the opinions of.

Regardless, the correct NEXT STEP is to call S&R ans tell them everything you told us. I don't think they necessarily owe him anything, but just like getting food poising at a restaurant, you call and tell them so they know... and can try to make it better for the next guy.

-M

P.S. I'm not abstaining the OP of responsibility either. Before traveling you should give a visual to all four tires, and check many other components. However, I guess if I took my car to a shop for an alignment only days before (?) I too might assume the tires are ok.

P.P.S. Please assume all 'his' really say 'her' and all 'he's' are 'she's'... Just figured something out. =)
Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 PM

I just find it weird that it always seems to be shops from the Tampa area that members have issues with.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just find it weird that it's always people from Georgia that don't contribute anything to point of the thread
Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Just making a point. I am active in the north Florida section and do not remember seeing a post about any shop up here!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Somebody not being happy with service from a shop is NOT a Tampa only phenomenon.

Tampa gets the short end of the stick because there is a stigma about the area. Some shady stuff went down here and there and a lot of people were vocal on both sides of the proverbial fence. Drama tends to stick in people’s minds.

Personally I think it’s a mix of people acting out because they are upset (which is perfectly acceptable) before they stop and think about the best and most effective way to handle a situation: and some people looking for a chance to say "look another bitch ass shop in Tampa!!!!"

This situation is unfortunate. Hopefully it will get resolved. What the resolution actually is (or needs to be) is in serious debate at this point.

IMHO, THERE IS NO WAY S&R would have let the car come off the rack with even a fraction of that wear on the tires

IMHO, if S&R compensates her at all it would be out of good faith and not because they did something wrong. There are simply too many variables:

What did the tires look like when she came in???...they had to be looked at...THEY WERE TAKEN OFF THE VEHICLE...wear like that would not have "missed" it would have been amazed at and talked about instantly

Was something else wrong with the wheel system? Could the alignment affect another component of the suspension? Could a toe” issue” be exacerbated to a toe “monumental problem” by an alignment, but due to something else on the cars suspension being warped, bent etc?

I am just being fair to the business. I feel for Viv, and I can empathize with her for sure but we have to look at all sides of things. I had said earlier that a percentage of this problem does lie with her pre-trip inspection and basic upkeep of the car. If the wear on the tires did not happen solely on the trip to NY, then the wear should have been seen and addressed long before the alignment a day before the departure.

I vote to lock this thread and let the parties sort out whatever needs to be sorted out. Whatever the issues are I am still confident that S&R did what they could do and that any problem would have been alerted to at the time of the alignment.

Something not known or discussed so far is the true culprit here. Them seeing that kind of wear and not doing anything about it is too incompetent and heinous to be true...seriously
Old 11-22-2009, 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=yarbrough,Nov 22 2009, 08:09 PM] Just making a point.

Quick Reply: Problem with S&R