Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Precision Turbo Company Going Down The Drain

Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision Turbo Company Going Down The Drain

I have done research for the past couple of weeks about precision turbos on the way they have been handling the warranty on their turbos and the way they treat their customers, I WAS one of them until two weeks ago. Where do I begin?

I purchased a SC6162 oil cooled turbo from precision about a year ago from today. During the year I had this turbo I've sent it back twice. This turbo was supposedly new. When i got my turbo i opened the box to make sure that it was the correct turbo that i had purchased. I paid $1050 shipped for this turbo.

The day of the Dyno was the same day that the turbo was installed on the car. My tuner and i made sure all the oil lines were correct and everything was in place before we started the car. The car was turned on, my tuner started doing his job. We notice that the car started to smoke out the exhaust "white". Meaning two things, my oil return line was in the wrong spot or the turbo seals were bad. We check the return line to make sure it wasn't being block or crimped anywhere. The line was fine. My tuner finished tuning my car and told me to call precision and let them know about what was going on.

The next day i called precision explaining to them my problem, they told me that i had too much oil going through my turbo and that i needed to install an oil restrictor on my line. After i did this, the smoking went away. I had no problems at all until 3 MONTHS LATER. I heard a scraping noise coming from the turbo and notice that the shaft has come lose. I called precision again and told them my new problem. They told me to send it back to them, I paid $30 for shipping. 2 weeks later i get a phone call from them telling me that the reason why the shaft got lose was because of oil starvation. They asked me where i had my feed line on the motor, i told them 'where every s2000 locates the feed line for their turbo, on the oil pressure sensor outlet which is where there is more oil pressure, and to make sure that i know i have oil pressure i have installed an AEM oil pressure gauge on my motor.

Precision did their job by fixing my turbo and calling me back to charge me $35 to ship it back to me which i paid. While they were taking my shipping payment he tells me to remove the oil restrictor cause this is an oil-cooled turbo. When i received my turbo back i removed the oil-restrictor and installed the turbo back on the car with a new -4 line. NO MORE SMOKE AND NO MORE SCRAPPING. I called Inline-pro to make sure where do they get their oil-feed line for their turbos and they told me from the oil-pressure sensor. So i had it correct the whole time.

Four months had gone by after i had re-installed my turbo back on my car and the turbo shafts had came lose again cause it started to scratch my housing for the second time.

I sent the turbo back for the 2nd time (i paid $30 for shipping again) meanwhile i waited for their phone call i started doing my research. for the past 2-3 years they have been making their own parts for these turbos and not getting them from Garret like they use to. Since then they have been having problems with their turbos and that this is their main excuse......YOUR TURBO FAILED DUE TO OIL STARVATION. They give that excuse to each and every single customer that had problems with Precision turbos. Here is another customer with a similar problem and same excuse by precision, (so you can see that there is more consumers out there with this problem) There are lots of forums that talk about this same problem with precision.

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3931

Finally after 2 weeks of wait i get the phone call from precision and guess what they told me ? Yep, thats right ! MY TURBO FAILED DUE TO OIL STARVATION AGAIN.... I told them not to give me that same story and to come up with a new one cause they have done this to other consumers over and over again. They told me that i have to move my feed-line somewhere else. i told them that this is where the feed-line goes for the S2000 and the best place to get the oil feed from. they didn't believe me so i had to have inline-pro call them to let them know that this was the best place for the s2000 to get the feed-line for the turbo. Here comes the funny part. 20 minutes later i get a phone call from precision changing their entire story, that MY TURBO FAILED DUE TO OIL CONTAMINATION....Lmao.. when my car is not an everyday driver and it gets the oil change not even every 2,000 miles or every month and a half.

Precision told me that they will not fix my turbo under warranty and they wanted $700 to fix my turbo or $900 to make it ball bearing so that this problem won't happen again. I asked them if my turbo was ball bearing, (what does that have to do with not failing again due to oil contamination?) and they didn't know how to answer me.

I don't know if anyone out-there has ever had any problems with precision turbos or maybe had their precision turbo back from when Garret use to make the parts for them and haven't had any problems. But i can tell you this, I will NEVER buy a precision turbo again or nothing good will come out of my mouth about them. In my opinion Precision turbos are garbage and no one has $1000 bucks to be spending every single year for a new turbo from these people. I have never heard of a turbo lasting only one year thats on a car that is not an everyday driven and its pushing 16 pounds of boost.

The next turbo that i will buy will be from the #1 leaders in turbo and very well named known as Garret or Turbonetics.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

garret doesn't warranty shit just to let you know. my friend just bought a gt28 (1200 dollars) from garret. installed it, clocked it according to garret's directions and primed it with oil before startup. after about 15 minutes of slow driving the exhaust fins contacted the exhaust housing. he contacted garret, shipped them the turbo and about a month later they called him to tell him to shove the turbo. they said there was particulate (sand) that was sent through the exhaust so it was not covered under warranty- there were visible marks on the exhaust housing from the fins- particulate contamination will cause damage to the fins not the housing.

But about precision- they are garbage- there have been at least ten members in the FI section this year that had to send their brand new precisions back due to blown seals on startup.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow bro, thats really unfortunate! hope you get your ride up and running again soon!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mrwilliams,Dec 4 2010, 08:50 AM
wow bro, thats really unfortunate! hope you get your ride up and running again soon!
yea, i hope so too. i wont be able to get my car running until i get a new turbo, redo my down pipe due to new turbo and get it re-tuned whitch it might be sometime after taxes. This sucks !
Old 12-05-2010, 06:47 AM

You ever think that it may be something with your car? I would like to see down the road when you put this new turbo on and see if you have the same problem. I have had the same issues with Precision turbos, but only with the ball-bearing ones. Sent about 5 back overall. The warrantied every one. Turns out it ended up needing a smaller restrictor than we were told.

This is in now way meant to be negative towards you.. Im just saying check your car over. There may be something else.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Metcalfe,Dec 5 2010, 07:47 AM
You ever think that it may be something with your car? I would like to see down the road when you put this new turbo on and see if you have the same problem. I have had the same issues with Precision turbos, but only with the ball-bearing ones. Sent about 5 back overall. The warrantied every one. Turns out it ended up needing a smaller restrictor than we were told.

This is in now way meant to be negative towards you.. Im just saying check your car over. There may be something else.
The first time the shaft came lose that i sent it back to them and they told me that it was oil starvation, i though that maybe there was something wrong with my oil pressure that my turbo was not getting the right amount of oil. My car was over looked by couple of shops and i asked inline-pro for opinios on what they think what was wrong with my car. My motor turns out to be fine. It has the right amount of oil pressure going through the entire motor. I believe that the turbo the was sold to me was a rebuilt turbo and they told me that it was new. If you read at the begining of my post my turbo was smoking white from the very begining. When a turbo is rebuilt is comes back looking like a new one. The shaft is replace and all the parts inside of it. I dont know much rebuilding turbos or what the specs are suppose to be inside of the turbo but a motor that doesnt have oil pressure can cause lots of damage right away. They said that it was oil starvation the reason why my shafts came lose, but the shatf came lose 3 months later. And like i said i dont know much the way turbos are put together but i dont see what does oil starvation will make the shafts come lose cause they didnt wanted to explain that to me either. I also dont see why they would tell me oil starvation in the first place then 20 minutes later tell me that it was oil contamination. Changing their story. They have told this excuse to so many customers. This is the sencond time i sent it to them and they only warranty the first time. But like you siad we will see what happens when i install my new one. Thanks for the advise.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Take a pic of your oil drain.. what size is it?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:28 PM

Not sure what size is my drail line. But its pretty thick. My oil lines i bought them in a kit. Came with all the fittings, dash 4 feed line and the drain line. I will post pics of drain line tonite. The manifold was made,by TDautowerkes down in miami and they were the ones that told me where to locate my drain line in the oil pan. I have a front mount turbo manifold and my drain is located in the highest location of the oil pan in the front.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by #1turbos2k,Dec 5 2010, 08:07 AM
yea, i hope so too. i wont be able to get my car running until i get a new turbo, redo my down pipe due to new turbo and get it re-tuned whitch it might be sometime after taxes. This sucks !
wow bro, well if you need anything, and if you're still at champions gate, LMK, i work at reunion, so we're practically neighbors.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mrwilliams,Dec 5 2010, 01:54 PM
wow bro, well if you need anything, and if you're still at champions gate, LMK, i work at reunion, so we're practically neighbors.
cool man, Thanks

Quick Reply: Precision Turbo Company Going Down The Drain