Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

OEM or Aftermarket Brake Pads?

Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM or Aftermarket Brake Pads?

Guys, I picked up some Cryo Rotors from Jcarlton and plan on installing them this weekend, along with painting my calipers. I also plan on changing out my brake pads.

Should I just go with OEM pads again? or step up to something else?
I only have 2 days to get new pads, so ordering them may be out of the question. It would have to be a local pick up.

New rotors, Thanks Jeff!

Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM

i dont really know much about break pads but when i asked this question i was told that the OEM pads are more than sufficient
Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks, just wanted confirmation before I went and picked some up at the dealer. I wonder if I could find them cheaper at an auto parts store?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 AM

I put cryo treated OEM pads on mine and the work great. I had $130 NAPA ceramic before and I can't tell any difference since I don't road race.

yes, cryoing does work on the glue that holds the pad material. Up to 65% increase in wear resistance. I did pads for one of the Cobalt Friction sponsored cars that won the Rolex 24hour endurance race.

Check with Todd, he can get you a better deal than the dealer.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 AM

I haven't had the chance to check. What are OEM replacement pads going for at the dealership?

I was thinking about it the other day. I had EBC Green Stuff pads on my last car and loved them.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 AM

If I were you I'd put on OEM pads. Honestly unless you are racing, they are fine. If you go with an aftermarket pad chances are it will dust vastly more and get your wheels dirty quick.

I actually havent changed off my Cobalt race pads since my last event and Sebring and I'm experiencing this effect. Granted my race pads dust like crazy. But you can wash your car and the front wheels will be covered in dust in one day.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by KeithD,Mar 22 2006, 03:35 PM
If I were you I'd put on OEM pads. Honestly unless you are racing, they are fine. If you go with an aftermarket pad chances are it will dust vastly more and get your wheels dirty quick.

I actually havent changed off my Cobalt race pads since my last event and Sebring and I'm experiencing this effect. Granted my race pads dust like crazy. But you can wash your car and the front wheels will be covered in dust in one day.

I just got my Cobalts in the mail yesterday for WTD 2006!!
Those things bite like there's no tomorrow, but dust like the oak trees outside my house!! If you autocross on a regular basis, it's easy enough to just change out the front ones when changing tires. The rears don't dust much, I just leave them on all the time.

The stock pads are wonderful, and I've done many autocrosses on those too. For street and even agressive driving, the OEM pads are plenty good.

what's up Keith?
Did you stop hanging out in the SOFLA forum, or what?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Has anyone tried the Akebano ceramic pads?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:35 PM

i have OEM in the front and Apex Kevlar in the rear
Old 03-22-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by PENROD,Mar 22 2006, 04:08 PM

I just got my Cobalts in the mail yesterday for WTD 2006!!
Those things bite like there's no tomorrow, but dust like the oak trees outside my house!! If you autocross on a regular basis, it's easy enough to just change out the front ones when changing tires. The rears don't dust much, I just leave them on all the time.

The stock pads are wonderful, and I've done many autocrosses on those too. For street and even agressive driving, the OEM pads are plenty good.

what's up Keith?
Did you stop hanging out in the SOFLA forum, or what?
Which ones do you have Penrod? I have Spec VRs in the front and Spec VXs in the rear.

Nah. I hang out everywhere. South Florida is dead for some reason.

Quick Reply: OEM or Aftermarket Brake Pads?