Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

My 'S' and an Uh Oh!

Old 11-06-2003, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 'S' and an Uh Oh!

Well guys I don't know if Tidal has told all of you but the bad luck bug finally bit me as well. Last friday I had an accident in my 'S' Fortunately NOT a bad one though, very minor damage! In fact so minor that I thought I would just be able to get mine, and the other guys (yes it was MY fault ) fixed at the same place, carsmetics in brandon. I took mine there on Saturday and got a $375 estimate. I only tapped this person in front of me. I'm sure you have all been in this situation, where you THINK someone has gone and they haven't... !!! Well, I took it one step more and connected with him. I think I hit him at no more than 4mph, he says 2mph since he didn't even move in his seat when I connected. I have some minor bumper damage on the left of center, front bumper, when looking at the car. The other driver had some minor damage on the left of center when looking from the rear. We exchanged the traditional INFO and didn't even get police involved. As I said I had my estimate on Saturday. Well I got a call from the owner of the other car monday night and he said he took it to Carsmetics and they wouldn't do it. It turns out that I not only smudged his bumper but also caused FRAME DAMAGE!!! Yes that's right we didn't know we were driving HUMMERS did we??? no more than 4mph and I caused $2000 in frame damage!!! Well, I told him that the body shop he took it to was trying to slide one past the insurance company and for him to get another estimate at a place I knew...... WOW! a whopping $65 less! WOO HOO!!!! So, needless to say, I had to turn in a claim to my insurance company . .WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE there go my rates!!!!

So, that's the story in a nutshell.... woe is quarters! but at least it wasn't major damage the my 'S', at least not that I know of! who knows what they will find when they pull the bumper, but I know nothing is creased or anything like that. The other driver said there is a crease in his rear fender and that the carpet in the trunk doesn't sit flat anymore. Yep, we have HUMMERS !! 4mph to do that! GOD!!! Oh! my other good luck is this guy just BOUGHT his car 2 weeks ago, a convertible AUDI , and the last kicker in the quarters bad luck stream, he's also recovering from his PREVIOUS accident. He was rear-ended at 45mph at a stop light..... Yes the good news just keeps coming and coming....

Well, I'll keep you all informed if things change, or as they unfold!

C-ya

Q
Old 11-06-2003, 03:52 AM

I find it hard to believe you did frame damage at 4mph. That's probably just about as fast as I hit Pugsly in Ybor!

There's something fishy going on. The hit didn't even move him in his seat, but caused frame damage? The frame really absorbed the hit. Is that what on Audi is suppose to do? I'm not too up on that make of car.

When are you getting your car fixed?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:07 AM

I agree that sounds fishy. Glad you are OK and the S has no major damage. Boy that speaks for the lack of a quality bumper system on the Audi. I just can't believe it.

I've done the same thing before (not with the S) and it is quite common. Wish you the best with your insurance company. It shouldn't be too bad.

Joser
Silver/Red
Old 11-06-2003, 06:48 AM

Sorry to hear about this. I agree that it sounds suspicious. People get hit harder than that and don't cause frame damage.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tidalwdave
I find it hard to believe you did frame damage at 4mph.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:10 PM

Sorry to here about your accident. I can relate to the pain.

Was his Audi brand new? If it wasn't brand new from the dealer you may be paying for previous damage.

The S front isn't that strong but once you get past the engine firewall it is one of the strongest out there. Better than a BMW or Mercedes the people at the body shop told me. Mine was hardly off at all after getting hit by a 1 1/2 ton U-haul truck doing 50mph, in the left front wheel.

I'll come see you when I get back. IN MY S2000.

I won't even stop to put the aftercooler on.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:44 AM

Sounds really fishy, like Jeff said could be from a previous accident. Audis are extremely solid cars from the few that I have been in. I wouldn't even think it is possible for the plastic bumper on the S to do anything more than paint a red spot on his bumper. Besides, don't all cars have to meet that 5 MPH impact test? If I were the Audi guy I'd be talking to the dealer I bought it from!
Old 11-07-2003, 09:23 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident Quarters. Do people realize that our cars only have 135lbs of torque, we are not like mustangs 320lbs, I mean it is not like we can launch our cars. Frame damage on an Audi at even 10mph no no no.. I have been hearing about this bad luck bug going around, Hey it got me more than once. Ok time for some boodoo doctor to help us..