Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Jax Locals, I Need Help

Old 10-18-2006, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jax Locals, I Need Help

I need to find a great Japanese steakhouse that serves sushi by next Monday. I have a second date, and I'm trying to impress. I've been to Kan Ki, and it was terrible, Sakura was good sushi but i haven't tried their hibachi food.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:24 AM

I wish I could help

<--been through Jax but never visited.

BTW japanese steakhouses are called Teppenaki grill and not Hibachi.

"Traditional Japanese hibachi are heating devices, and are not usually used for cooking. However in English, hibachi often refers to small cooking grills typically made of aluminium or cast iron, with the latter generally being of higher quality; due to their small size, hibachi grills are popular as a form of portable barbecue. They resemble traditional Japanese charcoal-heated cooking utensils called shichirin. It has been suggested that they were confusingly marketed as "hibachi" when they were introduced to North America because it is much easier for English speakers to pronounce.

Alternatively, "hibachi-style" is an American term for Japanese teppanyaki cooking, where gas-heated hotplates are integrated into tables around which many people (often multiple parties) can sit and eat at once. The chef performs the cooking in front of the diners, typically with theatrical flair"

From Wikipedia, they explained it better than I could. If you are going the "impress her" route. Take her to one of these places and give her that story.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:04 AM

Sushi Rock on Wells road is my favorite. It is very casual but the food and atmosphere are great. I dont eat sushi but it always looks good when I see it. The Hibachi table is fun. Memorize the history lesson that primo gave you and that is pretty impressive.......... Hope you give Sushi Rock a try. I almost forgot about Shogun on Blanding and 295. Shogun is more formal and prices are little higher that Sushi Rock. Nice romantic atsmosphere thought. There is also a new one on Wells road were Hops restaurant used to be. I dont know the name nor been there either.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:33 AM

I have been to Shogun in miami and can say it is worth the extra $$. I put them right up there with BeneHanna <---sp sux
Old 10-18-2006, 08:46 AM

i would say Shogun on Blanding!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What side of town works the best? There are several good ones around...several have been mentioned already.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Add another vote for Shogun.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:31 PM

No go to Sushi Rock on Wells. I've been to all Shogun, Sakura, etc....Sushi Rock is the best
Old 10-18-2006, 02:39 PM

I went to Sushi Rock once, I didn't like their sushi very much.

I live on Southside, near The Avenues, so hopefully someplace in this area.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you really looking for a good sushi restaurant that serves yakimono too (not necessarily hibatchi). Or are you really looking for the hibatchi experience?

Quick Reply: Jax Locals, I Need Help