Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

iphone/itouch question

Old 12-26-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default iphone/itouch question

I checked the Apple/Ipod site and could not find the information i was looking for.

I'm curious if the iphone or itouch can connect through the usb cable supplied with it?

Or, is it just via WiFi (and/or the cellular data service for the iphone)?

I'm just trying to figure out if the iphone/itouch browser will work with a wired connection. Particularly with another web-enabled phone or even a CAT5 cable/DSL converter. I already have a data service with my Sprint phone and can connect it to several other internet devices by a data cable.

It's not make-or-break for me if it won't ... but would just to like know all the capabilities.

thanks!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WiFi only
Old 12-26-2007, 06:24 PM

when connected to the computer you can pretty much do anything to the iphone, as in move music, videos and sync your contacts. I'm not sure you would want to surf the web on a phone that's plugs into a computer. The wireless speed (not WiFi) is acceptable, but not uber fast. The WiFi is a nice feature. WiFi is everywhere.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:27 PM

cool thanks. Yep, i agree that the WiFi is great ... but, i was just trying to see if it may have a wired capability as well. Thanks for the info guys.
Looks like i may end up with the itouch. If I think it's worth the extra costs of adding $20 more per month for the data plan then i'll do it (btw ... retail wise it looks like the iphone and itouch are about the same price) ... but, right now i think the WiFi alone will be fine. Having the web-phone and a internet/mp3/pda piece as two seperate devices may actually be better than and all-in-one. We'll see.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bandiscoot,Dec 27 2007, 12:27 AM
Having the web-phone and a internet/mp3/pda piece as two seperate devices may actually be better than and all-in-one. We'll see.

And it's the 16 gig itouch and the 8 gig iphone that are the same price. Give up the phone, get double the HDD space. And the itouch is SO much slimmer.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 AM

but, if you have the iphone and a decent iphone wallet: You only need to carry around 1 thing instead of 3: a wallet, a phone and an ipod.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Dec 27 2007, 11:35 AM
but, if you have the iphone and a decent iphone wallet: You only need to carry around 1 thing instead of 3: a wallet, a phone and an ipod.
I agree!

I gave up my TREO 700W a few months ago in favor of the Iphone and I am not sorry. It is smaller, lighter, and does more. My only concern on paper was giving up the ability to use mobile Word, Excel, etc. then I realized I never used them on the TREO anyway. I only viewed the files as attachments to e-mails and I can still do that with the Iphone.

Also I connect my Iphone to the I-pod link in the S to get my tunes and when the phone rings it rings thru the car speakers! I never could hear my phone ring otherwise in the S.

Also I was a little worried about AT&T service but so far so good and I have been to Atlanta, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Northern NJ & Charlotte with it and no coverage problems.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM

great info and insight guys! That really helps.

Sinsin showed me today that the iphone also has a digital camera in it as well. Does anyone know if the itouch has one? Not a make-or-break item ... but still a nice addition.

As for an all-in-one device. I don't want to have an iphone/itouch on my jetski ... but, i do keep my cell phone and wallet with me. So ... i'm actually happier with some items being seperate. Again ... the high-risk lifestyle of a redneck.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:23 PM

nope. No camera. No google maps. No stocks link or weather link. There are some other differences. But, I still love the itouch. I'm writing from it now. I love that! And I do have at&t for my phone. I stand behind them. Four years without a single problem.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:33 PM

No google maps = NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Hmmm ... why doesn't it do the maps? Aren't the maps jpg's ???

I guess i'm going to head down and spend a couple hours goofin with one at Best Buy before i know for sure

Quick Reply: iphone/itouch question