Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Hardtop problems.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop problems.

I have had my car for 6 months and the top for 6 weeks. I have a water leak, and many rattles that the local dealer has not been able to repair. Can you suggest a repair shop in Tampa that has experience with S2000 hardtops ?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:19 AM

Is you hardtop a Honda OEM product. If it is and you bought it from Honda, they have to make it right.

Also, is the dealer you tried Tampa Hondaland. If you go there ask fo Coco. He is there resident S2000 guy. If you bought it aftermarket then Coco can do it on the side and not charge too much.

Good Luck
Old 05-18-2005, 03:27 AM

Car and HT are Honda produts bought from Kuhn. I do not intend to bad mouth because except for this issue they have been first class. I will call Coco.

Thank you very much.

Top Gun to you -------------
Old 05-18-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i installed the hardtop i bought from hardtopguy last year myself. i've made a few adjustments and eliminated the rattles/wind noise/creaks. i might be able to help or give advice.

if you don't have the shin-etsu silicon grease you will never be able to get rid of the creaks at the weatherstripping. there may be a substitute but that is supposed to be the ulitmate.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:49 AM

I had the same problem with my HT. It was the 2 king pins needed to be reset. The maintenance dept. at Jon Hall Honda in Daytona corrected my HT.

PEACE and safe
Old 05-19-2005, 05:18 PM

I went over to Tampa Hondaland yesterday to see Coco. Guess who does not work there any more ? You got it ----Coco. He went to Toyota in Brandon. I left the car so Peter and Mark could work on it today. They reported that when the HT was installed spacers/shims were not installed therefore the top was very loose. Hence the rattling and noise. Tampa Hondaland and Kuhn are talking to see where it goes from here. Hopefully it will be ready for the weekend.

If Tampa Hondaland/Kuhn can not get this resolved I will contact liquid to see if he can help.

If liquid can not help me then I will fly Hardtopguy down.

If Hardtopguy can not fix the problem then I will weld/glue the top on and caulk the windows shut.

Does this sound like a good plan ?

Thanks to all for feedback. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:10 AM

the instructions list specs for spacing and fitment, but they are only a guide. after you get some miles on an adjustment, the body flexes some, etc., it's time to further fine-tune it. takes some time and patience. of course, not installing the required spacers will screw you from the start. hopefully they installed the hard-top strikers; they appear identical to the stock soft-top ones but are a little tighter. there was a tsb for wind noise on the soft-top and the fix was the hard-top strikers.

also, i'd strongly recommend getting some shin-etsu grease, i forgot where i got mine - handa-accessories.com possibly. it's about 12 bucks. i end up putting some on monthly or so.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:41 AM

make sure you use shit-zu grease (sp?)

also, i found that the softop's "hooks" will rattle when going over bumps when the hardtop is on. get some black electrical tape and simply tape each of the softops "hooks" down.

that should solve alot of the problems
Old 05-27-2005, 05:35 PM

Sorry for my absence lately. Hondaland was fearful too mess with the car since Kuhn has messed with it. I spoke with the owner of Kuhn. He wishes I had contacted him earlier since he does not like having upset customers. The mechanics have learned more about HT installment/adjustments since a few weeks ago. Kuhn has the car for a few days since I am out of town. Now that Mike the service manager is involved I hope/think for good results. I will let you know how it goes.

Gone for a week.

PS - I have the schnitzu ( spelling ? ) grease. That was the first item I bought for the car.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by jackhoff,May 26 2005, 01:41 PM
also, i found that the softop's "hooks" will rattle when going over bumps when the hardtop is on. get some black electrical tape and simply tape each of the softops "hooks" down.
i use some fat rubber bands and they can just stay over the hooks or be pulled back when you are using the soft top. i found that rattle right away. only about 4 more to go...

Quick Reply: Hardtop problems.