Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Got a ticket for failing to come to complete stop

Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Haha. Well I do have fl plates now just still have my ny license.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up in south florida but have lived in north florida for a while now. i've gotten tickets in both places.

in martin county you automatically went to court. before going in front of the judge, you talked to the officer who gave you a ticket. if you were cool to him and your driving record wasn't sh!t, when you both went before the judge he would say to the judge something like "i think he should pay the fine but not get any points" any the judge would say ok. if you were a prick or a habitual speeder, they would get pissed you wasted their time and you got the fine and the points. and on an awesome side note, if the officer doesn't show up to court the judge will say "well, with no witness for the state, we can't prove anything" and will throw the ticket out. this happened to me once when i would have otherwise been fu@ked.

in duval county, you do not talk to the issuing officer. instead you just go in front of the judge who looks at your driving record. he asks you what you want to do: 1. take it to full on court at a later date, or 2. plead no contest right then and there and pay the fine with no points. again, if your record sucks or you were speeding 30+, or in a school zone, or in a construction zone. you get hammered. taking it to court at a later date is super risky and even the judge warns you that if you do that, it's no joke and you coul end up in jail.

in both cases and/or counties, hiring one of those ticket people for $150 means they do all the running around so you can just stay home and not wory about it. incidently, in duval when you are all sitting in the court room waiting for your name to get called, the judge calls all the ticket people and attorney first while you wait--so they get paid and get to cut to the front of the line!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by trackrat,Oct 22 2009, 08:37 PM
I grew up in south florida but have lived in north florida for a while now. i've gotten tickets in both places.

in martin county you automatically went to court. before going in front of the judge, you talked to the officer who gave you a ticket. if you were cool to him and your driving record wasn't sh!t, when you both went before the judge he would say to the judge something like "i think he should pay the fine but not get any points" any the judge would say ok. if you were a prick or a habitual speeder, they would get pissed you wasted their time and you got the fine and the points. and on an awesome side note, if the officer doesn't show up to court the judge will say "well, with no witness for the state, we can't prove anything" and will throw the ticket out. this happened to me once when i would have otherwise been fu@ked.

in duval county, you do not talk to the issuing officer. instead you just go in front of the judge who looks at your driving record. he asks you what you want to do: 1. take it to full on court at a later date, or 2. plead no contest right then and there and pay the fine with no points. again, if your record sucks or you were speeding 30+, or in a school zone, or in a construction zone. you get hammered. taking it to court at a later date is super risky and even the judge warns you that if you do that, it's no joke and you coul end up in jail.

in both cases and/or counties, hiring one of those ticket people for $150 means they do all the running around so you can just stay home and not wory about it. incidently, in duval when you are all sitting in the court room waiting for your name to get called, the judge calls all the ticket people and attorney first while you wait--so they get paid and get to cut to the front of the line!
Ok cool. I actually missed the deadline to hand it in unfortunately. I will call them up and see if I can pay the surcharge and plead not guilty then.
Worse case scenario when I go in front of the judge I think I will pay the same as the ticket is now. Hopefully they will reduce it or at least remove the 3 points they said they were going to give me.
So when pleading not guilty I won't be setup up for like a real hearing or anything right?
Just want to get to the part where they remove the points possibly haha.