Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Got a ticket for failing to come to complete stop

Old 10-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Got a ticket for failing to come to complete stop

Well a couple weeks ago I got a ticket for failing to come to a complete stop at a red light making a red hand turn.
gave me a running a red light at first then said actually they would give me "failing to abide to a traffic sign" or something like that.
The ticket is for $150 +3 point on my license.
I live in FL now but still only have my NY license.
In NY I would always plead not guilty when I got a ticket and then would go to court and would automatically be reduced to something less and almost always eliminate the points.
When I went to court here to plead not guilty they handed me a form to fill out which I never had to do in NY.
It said something about if found guilty I would have to pay a $500 surcharge or something.
First ticket in FL so not sure how it works. I don't want to 3 points on my license at all.
Will the points on my NY license effect my car insurance in FL?
Please let me know what you all have done.
If it makes a difference I live in Polk County.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't you just take the traffic class and get reduced fine and no points?

I know that works for speeding tickets, but I'm not sure about your ticket.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I could do that but don't feel like going to the class and I wouldn't mind the ticket getting reduced to a lower amount as well.
I guess maybe it's different in FL than NY but want to know what happens when you plead not guilty in FL to a traffic violation.
Obviously don't want to if it's going to give me a $500 fine added to it in the end.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an attorney; $100 and have a nice day. There are a couple of names and numbers in this forum.

J
Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

theticketclinic.com
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't want an attorney for a 150 ticket. Just wondering if you plead not guilty do they lower the fine when you get to court? That's how it is done in NY.
Do you actually get a $500 surcharge pleading not guilty if they find you guilty?
Also if you plead not guilty do you actually go to court for it?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude, its EXTREMELY RISKY TO PLEAD NOT GUILTY.

1. polk county could be very strict on traffic tickets
2. lawyer will do all the work, and even they cant gaurantee a positive outcome.

your best bet, call ticketclinic, ask them how strict they are in polk county. as if they gaurantee atleast no points.

if they do, take it. here in broward county, in the past you could go and plead no contest, and typically if your driving record was good they would withhold adjudication and give you a court fee of 40-100 bucks.

now, its crazy with all this budget problem. court fees are rediculous, but at least you still get no points.

my rec,
ticket lawyer and save your driving record. insurance will cost way more with poiints then the lawyer.

on a side note, i would be perfectly happy if they got rid of the right on red. i get cut off so much when i have the green and some asshole makes a right on red and nearly kills me. i am sick and tired of people thinking right on red means dont stop, dont yield, just ****ing go.

if i was a cop, i would make my quota in a day just making uturns on green lights and watching everyone make there right on red and staring at me point to them to pull over
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah ok I'll check that out. Thanks.
Yeah I don't like when people do it without looking but oncoming traffic had a red light so crept around the turn without a complete stop.
I'm not denying it was a traffic violation just really don't want points on my license. Already have 3 on my NY license for a 35 in a 30 speeding ticket which was complete BS.
I have FL car insurance and still a NY drivers license. Would that still be reported to my FL insurance?
Or if I switch over to a FL drivers license will the points transfer over also?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Don't plead not guilty. Then its your word AGAINST his. You would have to provide proof that you did come to a complete stop....you can't prove that. Just set up a Court Date, and plead "No Contest" - that is your best option. That is all the Lawyers do, anyways. No contest means you are not guilty, but not innocent. Judge will look at your driving history, and make his decision off of that. Wether he wants to withhold adjudication, and charge you the court fee of the ticket cost, to the penny.

FYI, I've been to court 4 times for tickets, withheld every time, with the exception of the last ticket which i was doing 105 in a 65 (it was worth a shot! lol)
Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Banned

They're hating on our blue and white plates.Which i might add are better looking.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket for failing to come to complete stop