Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Got oem red seat skins put on. Now real loose

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up Got oem red seat skins put on. Now real loose

Hey. Ok well I won an auction on ebay for some red oem seat skins. I went to a local upholsterer and had him take my black seat skins off and put the red ones on. He did and when I picked it up the new red ones were really loose in some spots.
I don't know for sure if it is from bad installation and could the seat skins get stretched lik that some other way and not be the install?
Really sucks cause I have wanted red seats for a while now and now I have them but they look like crap...
Here are some pics.

It also seems like on the inside side of the drivers seat the cushioning was removed or something. I can feel the metal part of the seat there.
I asked him to repair one of the bolsters that was crushed in so I wonder if he just took foam from somewhere else on the seat to do it...

Old 09-28-2009 | 08:21 AM

I'd say ask the upholsterer. I believe they can steam it to shrink it better.
Old 09-28-2009 | 08:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Ah didn't know that. I will try that. Pissed they removed some foam it looks like though. Definitely could not feel the metal of the seat before so must have removed some foam thinking it wouldn't be seen or something.
Old 09-28-2009 | 08:37 AM

seems odd if they removed foam. i'd honestly complain to those who did it. you paid them for a service, not a compromise.
Old 09-28-2009 | 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I agree. I am going to give it a couple days to see if the skins settle or something and then call them up. Had it done on Saturday.
Old 09-28-2009 | 10:30 AM

I'd call them today man. To be blunt...man up. If you aren't happy, call them. They'll tell you if it will settle or whatever.
Old 09-28-2009 | 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Well just spoke to the guy. He said he knew it was a little loose looking but might be the leather is stretched. He told me to give it 1 week and if it didn't fit better I could bring it back to him to check it out. Just tugging at a couple of spots of the seat cover underneath I can see it looks to pull a little of the wrinkle out from the lower corners.
Going to condition it and put it in the sun for a little bit so it will hopefully form it better. That was his recommendation.
Bad advice? Seems weird to put it out so the sun will shrink it(dry it)..
Old 09-28-2009 | 11:15 AM

Did you ask him about the foam issue? That would be a major concern of mine. I think that the leather will settle in after a few weeks of baking in the FL sun and you getting in and out of the seats. The metal you are feeling in the seat is a big deal though, you dont want that poking you if you get into an accident.

BTW, Who did the work?
Old 09-28-2009 | 11:16 AM

I'd say take his advice...it sure won't hurt anything, and now he knows you aren't entirely satisfied. Reason I suggested calling immediately, is if you waited, he could say it seemed better when you left.
Old 09-28-2009 | 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I'll see what happens. The metal I can feel is not visible with the seat in. It is on the center console side of the driver seat. Not really a big deal but kind of annoying non the less.

Quick Reply: Got oem red seat skins put on. Now real loose