Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Good S2000 turn out at Gainesville Mini Prix

Old 04-13-2004, 06:22 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

haha no racing tires for you nate, unless you can find some in 19's and stick em on your old rims lol. that would be too funny. Stick with stock we have no chance against the sway bar changing slick wearing s2k's. lol
Old 04-13-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those bastards!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:29 PM

You can put Kuhmo Victoracers on and use them for daily driving. But, they'd have to be on OE rims. You'd run a 225/50/16F & 245/45/16R. They'll last about as long as the Bridgestone S02's and are probably better in the rain. They'll be competitive on a regional level and are cheaper than Hoosiers & last longer. Once I pick up another set of OE rims I'll be doing the same so that I don't have to transport wheels around.

A Saner front sway bar is just as good as any of the others and they're like $185 in the S2Ki store. You can put it on yourself in about an hour and that makes the car a little easier to drive (and harder to spin). An alignment should be your first expenditure, then a FSB, and then tires. Other than those things it's all driver (well, you can change to a lighter exhaust in SCCA's B-Stock). I'd be happy to run an all street tire series. I liked having three to five S's at an event when all of them were OE equipment. It's just that I plan on doing bigger & better things (Divisionals/Nationals) and have to get used to the car on the competitive set-up. So, don't take it personally. I'm not out to beat you by a dozen seconds - I'm just trying to get to the next level. Personally I have the most fun when there are many competitive cars. The funnest event I ever had I only placed third. But 2nd to 6th were only seperated by like 0.4 and the guy ahead of me beat me by like 0.046. It's all for fun...When I start gettin upset about results and the fun fades it'll be time for another hobby.

Oh, I'd imagine that the SCCA would let you run novice again. It would, technically, be your first time on a true Solo 2 course. But why would you want to? You've already shown that you (or you + S-2000) are better than most of the novices. I think I ran novice twice. The first time I spun on all runs and got 14th of 17. I think a girl in an automatic Focus wagon beat me .The second time I think I finished 6th of 12...I never trophied. Even now I'm far from gauranteed a trophy. Ian kills me even in my own car and there are a handful of others in the state that can spank me on any given day. Whatever you'd like to do. I have no authority in the SCCA and wouldn't "blow the whistle" on ya anyhow.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:42 PM

I have as set of Stock rims with some worn out victoracers on them.

Anyone interested? I'll be heading down to lakeland thursday--sun n fun-then on to sebring friday... Could work out a dellivery...
Old 04-13-2004, 08:43 PM

I wish I had the money, airsport.
I have a friend in need of OE rims. I'll look up his E-mail address and let him know to PM you if interested.

Nate, the Victoracers have full tread (albeit really large treadblocks). They're technically "R-compounds", but many people use them as daily driver tires. They're a tad slower than Hoosiers but faster than any street tire. Tread wise they'd last as long as the OE S02's, but they'll heat cycle themselves out and become harder with time. Chances are they'll not be too competitive by 6,000 or 7,000 miles and if they lasted that long will depend on your style of street driving & alignment. But, it's a good option opposed to buying an extra set of wheels and another set of tires - then you'll have to lug them around. As far as "street" tires the OE's are about as sticky as you'll get. Kuhmo MX's may be better but I haven't researched sizes in those. You'd want to run a 225 in the front and a 245 in the rear. Don't ever put any non S02 on the back in a 225, it'll be too narrow.

What I meant in the earlier post about "A-hole", etc. is that I kind of get wrapped up in what's going on. Even though you're only driving for a few minutes, you end up focused on tire pressures, watching your buddies runs, keeping an eye on your competitors times, etc. I'm never really too social at an autocross now. When I started I couldn't figure out why none of the regulars would make time for me. Now I know. I just used to show up and add a few pounds of psi...that was it. Now it's a little more complicated. Again, though, if you need any help - just ask. Any questions, just PM me. If you can track down Ian Stewart at the next GIR event and talk him into it, you'd be doing yourself a big favor by letting him act as an instructor and driving your car. You'll learn more from riding with him on one run than doing ten yourself. I hated the guy when I started (never met him), because he used to beat me by 5 to 8 seconds. He's still light years ahead, but I don't feel too bad being 1 or 2 seconds behind one of the best S2K drivers (well, any car really) in the country. If he isn't there than Jesse Naughton, who'll probably be the event chairman, is a great driver too.

I'm sure I've bored you to all to death. I'll bail from this thread.

C'ya.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:32 AM

Thanks for all the info! I'll be doing some research and checking out some things to do to make me more competitive (alignment, FSB, tires). As of now, I'm 100% stock.

Of course, I keep wanting to sell my S2K to buy an 02' model (white with red). Either way, I'll be on the track again soon! If I keep mine, I'll be upgrading my clutch soon, as mine is about worn out. I'll probably do the OEM clutch and flywheel with an ACT pressure plate, as that seems to be a widely used and recommended set up. My car is my daily driver and will be used for some autox meets, about once a month or so.

Since the SCCA contest in May will be my first true Solo2 event, I may go novice. I know that some may see that as "unprofessional," but the difference between the SCCA course and the Mini-Prix is quite different. I rode with ZSAK at the last SCCA event (March), and I was completely confused as to how he knew what cones to go around and which way to go on the track. So I may need to be Novice for that first time.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:59 PM

The results were posted last night on Martins page for anyone who is interested......

http://www.martinsportscarclub.com/2EventR...004_Results.htm
Old 04-14-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by chriztopherkent
The results were posted last night on Martins page for anyone who is interested......

http://www.martinsportscarclub.com/2EventR...004_Results.htm
I beat 10 other people at least, but I lost to 6. I know I'd suck more at autocrossing. I can't read the cones.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:06 PM

Also,

Todd, I was the guy that came up to you at the mini prix and was asking you about your tires and sway bar. I had the other Sebring s2k (pre '04). I would like to get input from you sometime at one of the next autox's. Let me know what events you will be at in the near future.
I would like to get input on getting the most out of the car on stock tires.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 01:10 PM

I lost to a Boxster... BAD...... However, the boxster did have Michelin Pilot Cup tires which are race rubber I'm pretty sure. Does anybody else know about those tires and if they are legan in Stock Class?

Quick Reply: Good S2000 turn out at Gainesville Mini Prix