Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Good S2000 turn out at Gainesville Mini Prix

Old 04-12-2004, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gainesville Mini Prix was a Martin's event, not SCCA. I know the difference!

I'm up for both!
Old 04-12-2004, 08:18 AM

Gerry, are you going to a Gainesville event in May?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:27 AM

Negativo, mon ami. Buuuuuut, we are making a concerted effort at the Bronson Field Solo II on May 24th. I'm awaiting a reply to a PM and then I'll post more.

Gerry
Old 04-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i think the scca event is 35 or 40 bucks like always and no lunch I say if we can have a martins event near by that may be more fun lol. Open track you gotta love that. maybe we can look into that chin motorsports stuff as well. Well I just did the Sebring event is on July 31. With a cost of $275 bucks, but its a 12hour event at a 3.7 mile track. So if anyone is interested we should plan something fairly soon.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:37 AM

Which organization is holding the next event in Gaineville?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

scca
Old 04-12-2004, 11:57 AM

Next GIR event is SCCA CFR ( www.cfrsolo2.com ).

Both Ken Marion ("BP" winner in '04) and I ("CP" winner in '02) were on Hoosiers. Ken's able to run a 275 on the rear and a 245 on the front. He's on the new A3S04's. I'm running a 225 on the front and a 245 on the rear in the older A3S03's. I got to a 60.2XX while Ken was at a 60.5XX. Scott was on Victo's and the Hoosiers are good for about 1.5 seconds over Victo's on a 60 sec. course. They also aren't as tolerant of the temps. that black asphalt creates and it did get pretty hot towards the end of the day. Vs. the OE Bridgestone S02's Victo's are worth about two to three seconds and the Hoosiers 3 to 4...

A few things in this thread:
1) Martin never gives "free" lunches. The NHRA forbids outside vendors from coming onto GIR property. MSCC was able to include your lunch money in the entry fee and make use of a loophole. You'll only see that at GIR events with them and for $45 you'd better get something more than 4(ish) minutes of driving.
2) Their normal events (excluding the April "Mini-Prix and Oct. "Maxi-Prix") are standard Solo 2 events. You're gonna' have to deal with those dreaded little cones but it will make you a better driver. Almost every fast autocrosser can adapt to be a fast track driver. Few fast track drivers can ever adapt to become fast autocrossers. It's a documented fact....Go autocrossing. It's cheaper and more challenging. You'll learn to control the car in a safe enviornment.
3) Nate, once you trophy in novice it's in pretty bad taste to run novice ever again. It's just not too sportsman-like, you know? You would have done pretty well in their "CS" class, but I don't know if anything's changed on your car. With the SCCA you'll now be in B-Stock, which sucks on street tires since you'll have guys like me on R-compounds. But, I did it for a year and a half on a 100% OE car and it'll make a better driver of you. I was able to eventually beat many cars that were on Hoosiers and Kuhmos - just not other S2K's.

If you ever need a Florida autocross schedule just go to www.autocrossforum.com and click on calendar. I keep all the FL & SCCA National events updated on there.

Dave, you took off before I could give you the camera mounts. Do you still need them? PM me if you do. I'll be over towards Brandon Tuesday and Thursday or I live right by downtown Tampa if you want to pick 'em up.

If any of you guys ever need any help at an autocross, please just ask. I may look like an a-hole, but I really would be happy to help out with set-up advice, driving tips, and at SCCA CFR events I can act as an instructor if you'd like. I generally do about half of CFR's courses, too, so having me walk with you on your initial course walk wouldn't be a bad idea. I didn't get any help until last fall when Ian let me drive his car (set-up right). I know the trial & error school and would avoid that, if at all possible, and make use of the guys who have experience in the car.

The Auto-cross FAQ thread in the Racing & Competition forum is invaluable. Use it.

And the best thing you could do is to spend a weekend down at Gulf Coast Autocrossers in Ft. Myers. Their Saturday Novice School is $15 and you'll get to do 10 to 20 runs. Josh Feingold is a great instructor with a LOT of S-2000 experience. He also instructs @ Sebring with Chin Motorsports. I'd be happy to instruct, as well (but don't make too many Saturday's). Stay the night have a few beers and then the Sunday event is $25. You can run novice with them for the entire season. They provide lunch for free on both days and water & sodas, as well. The site is the longest and fastest in FL. It's sticky concrete, too. Some typical S-2000 runs are on www.GoFastVideo.com .

See ya' at the races.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:25 PM

"I may look like an a-hole, but I really would be happy to help out with set-up advice, driving tips"

I'm not sure where the a-hole came from. Funny though. I've had nothing but good conversations with Todd, great guy!

I'd like to go to Ft. Myers. Do you really get that many runs? Do you have to do the whole weekend, or can you only go a day? My budget isn't the best, so spending the night probably won't happen. Is Satuday or Sunday the best day to go down there?

Is anyone doing Primus next month? No cones, right? Cones scare me!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:18 PM

You can do Ft. Myers on either day, or both. Saturday has the novice school and you'll get more runs. You spend the entire morning in class then break for lunch and spend the afternoon taking runs on the practice course. They have a designated practice course which is the same every time. It's generally a 35-40 sec. course. Sunday's courses are always a mile, plus, and range from 60 to 80 seconds, but you'd only get three or four runs.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:06 AM

So I'm going to have a tough time in B-stock on OEM tires, huh? Well, I may not get a trophy again for a while, but if it makes me a better driver, and as long as I have fun, that's cool with me. Yes, my car is 100% stock.

When you say upgraded tires like Kumho's, what kind of tires are you talking about? Are they not street tires? More like slicks? Something I can upgrade to for everyday driving, or just for the track?

So even though I haven't done an SCCA event, I would still be in stock and not novice because I won a trophy at Martin's?

Quick Reply: Good S2000 turn out at Gainesville Mini Prix