Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

FS: 75 gallon marine aquarium

Old 02-01-2006 | 05:18 AM
15 Year Member

Default FS: 75 gallon marine aquarium

I got this set up about 2 years ago. With recent changes in schooling and working schedule, i do not have time for even simple maintenance on the tank. Prices are negotiable. Please PM me with any offers.

System comes complete with:

75G tank with pine stand and open canopy

~120# of live rock

~70# of live sand

2x175w metal halide

Euro-reef skimmer (model rated for 95G tank)

20G High sump w/ return pump and overflow

Will sell complete system for $1000 + i will help you move and set it up. I will also think of other things to throw in as well if you buy complete.

I am willing to part system only if someone is willing to buy livestock first.

here are some pics.

Old 02-03-2006 | 10:20 AM

purrty!!! I respect salt water tank owners. It takes some serious setup time and good maint.

If I ever do one I want to focus on Mantis Shrimp only
Old 02-03-2006 | 10:23 AM

Nice set up. I've been thinking of getting a saltwater aquarium set up for my house. How much time do you think it takes each week/month to maintian a tank that size or up to 100 gallons?

Good luck with the sale. If I lived near you, I'd be very interested.
Old 02-03-2006 | 01:07 PM

setup is cruicial, get a book and or log onto a saltwater tank forum and research, there are many ways to filter and cycle a tank like this.

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/

http://www.livingreefs.com/

http://www.reeflounge.com/

The mortality rate during initial setup is usually high so get cheap cheap fish to start. There is no substitute for live rock, but you sometimes run the risk of getting a mantis shrimp (cool but deadly critters for a marine tank) or some other nasty thingamajiggers.

Maint. is higher with a salt Vs. fresh but the payoff is always worth it.

I cant contribute much to what is involved but I do enjoy looking at my friends aquariums and have heard it is a commitment.
Old 02-03-2006 | 06:08 PM
15 Year Member

maintenance can depend on the type and amount of livestock. I kept it simple by keeping it "Fish only with Live Rock." Maintenance of this type is daily feeding, cleaning of skimmer every 2-3 days, and water changes every two weeks or so. Needless to say, water changes are the most time consuming maintenance, UNLESS you get the water directly from the store. Since i got the S i wasnt able to cram five 5 gallon jugs in my car like i use to with the lude. So all in all, you're looking at 15 minutes a day for feeding, plus another 5 minutes when you have to clean skimmer. Changing water will take about 2 hours if you get water directly from fishstore.

Primogen is right, if you're gonna start a marine tank you need to do alot of research or you will waste $$$ and kill beautiful marine creatures.

www.reefcentral.com is probably the best site out there. Take care.
Old 02-04-2006 | 05:00 AM

I worked in some aquarium shops back in college when wet/dry filters were first coming out (yes, I'm kinda old I guess). As already said the daily maintenance, etc. is really dependent on what you want to keep in the tank. Salt, IMO, really isn't much harder than fresh.

Go larger than recommended on the filters, go fewer/smaller on the fish than recommended, don't overfeed and you're pretty well good to go. That's very much oversimplified but you get the point. When I had my last set up which I ended up giving to Chiung a couple years ago I did a full cleaning (25% or so water change, cleaned the glass, cleaned the algae growth off of the coral - I didn't have live rock, etc.) about once every 3 months probably. I did have to add water to the tank quite often to compensate for evaporation which in salt you add dechlorinated fresh water because the salt doesn't evaporate. Too much evaporation and your salinity rises which can hurt/kill the live stock. I had the lights on timers and fed the fish once a day. BTW, salt needs frozen food not flake. They sell it at any salt aquarium place and can point you in the right direction as to what your particular stock needs.

The complete flip side is my folks have a 125 gallon full-mini reef with a kazillion different types of lights and filters and power heads, blah blah blah. They have to do something to the tank everyday like not only food in a traditional sense because there are fish, crabs, and shrimp in there but also vitamins, minerals, and even DNA (???) because of all of the different types of live corals, etc. I have NO clue on how to do all of that stuff. If I ever bought live rock it was little pieces that I put in the tank just as a treat for the butterflys, angles, etc. to chow down on. BUT, if you're into that sort of dedication their tank is a show stopper. You might as well be diving in Hawaii or something when you look at it.

There is nothing like a pretty tank. It is incredibly relaxing to watch and not bad to care for if you take the right steps. Read, ask questions, spend the money to do it right, and take your time stocking the tank. The tanks biological system basically has to catch up each time you add life.

Best of luck,
Shay