Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Florida Super Meet and Dragon, I need everyone's opinion!

Old 01-07-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean? He set it for one of your requested dates!
Old 01-07-2004, 11:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mav
I think the organization should be left up to the appointed CO's in the area (KeithD, nvrquit4, tidalwdave, wchin, DaWorm and myself).
Old 01-07-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought wchin was making a recommendation based on the concensus on the thread, not carving anything in stone. His recommendation included these 2 key elements, which seemed to be ok with most people, including Mav:

Orlando

April 2,3,4

I don't see a major 'deal-breaker' anywhere, and appreciate his willingness to volunteer his time. It would be nice to have a true state-wide meet, and I'm sure most issues can be resolved to make one happen.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:02 PM

We can certainly do FoF. The lunch was a good value. Saturday or Sunday? Anyone else have thoughts? Theme park is a maybe. In my opinion, it is pretty costly and doesn't do much for comraderie....but if the groupwants it....we can certainly arrange it. That's why I suggested Kennedy Space Center. They will do group tours and I have some connections there. Makes for a great photo op with the shuttle mock-up in the background. We can also drive out to the beach areas if there is interest.

Dave, we can definitely find a cheaper hotel. I hope to find two hotels near each other that offer different rates...so those who are willing to spend more can go for it. Rates for hotels along 192 can be had for as low as $39 a night if you book in advance (like the Comfort Inn that was across the street from the Holiday Inn Express from last year). I think there are also local S2K owners who probably have a spare bedroom for you to use???

Mav, I made a proprosal. We need to SET A DATE and get some ideas going FAST. We don't have much time. I think it is wise to have a chat session but what we need is to decide quickly and MOVE. It is not easy to plan an event this size without as much advance notice as possible. Sorry that you've already decided not to come.

WS
P.S. The carting event last year was a BLAST and fairly cheap. We had so many 5 cart pileups. Want to do it again?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Oops - I took so long to post that you guys got there first

I think the issue with hotel costs is this:

For less than $60 or $70 per night, wchin (or anybody) would be hard-pressed to find lodging that provides sufficient safety, good location, and comfort for such a large group of treasured cars. Although I don't really know the Orlando market well enough to say for sure, but I would venture to guess that the only thing to be had for those rates would be mom-and-pop shops in hoochie-mama land.

Regardless, this shouldn't be a deal-breaker, maybe something can be found for $50 per night. If this will encourage people to come to the event, then I'll start surfing for rates. The downside is that our "group" will be split into 2 hotels and make logistics a bit more difficult.

oh, and doesn't S2KI have a chat room? (for those of you still in the dark ages w/o AIM )
Old 01-07-2004, 12:13 PM

dangit - you guys type faster than me. ok - I'll shut up and let the meet masters talk.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:15 PM

We can find a compromise on a hotel. Some of us, me included, would love to stay at a nice hotel like the Gaylord Palms, but I realize thats not in everyone's budget.

You know, I thought where we were last year was a great hotel. We could shoot for that again. I mean it was cheap, near good driving roads, plenty of security, nice rooms, free breakfast, not too congested.

I thought the meals were arranged fine last year and I firmly believe the 1 price meals/buffet meals are the way to go. No divying of the checks or anything else. Much easier than, Joe Blow owes $10, Suzie Q owes $7. As for places the people in Orlando know better than me. If needed I can make a trip up to Orlando to help scout places, if needed. Just let me know (Nick, WS).

I don't know who floated this idea, but I kind of like the idea of maybe doing something at a state park. Maybe a BBQ lunch, something of the sort. With enough commits we could have someone come cater. I don't know whats around in the Orlando area.

I'm a person who loves themeparks. If there is demand I will gladly lead a group to one of them.

The moral of this whole rambling email is:

If you want your opinion counted speak now!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dates seem good to me.

Where we stayed last year was great. Had a range of room types and rates plus security for the cars.

Theme parks are a toss up with me. Fine if we do, fine if we don't. Majority rules.

Food was also great last year so that works for me. Lots of different types of places and everything was taken care of with our prepayments.

Karting sounds like a major blast. Let's us be extra spirited without breaking any laws, getting hurt, busting the cars up, etc.

As is apparent in this thread we obviously all share a love of the cars but that is also where some of the similarities end. We all have different resources and opinions on how this event should take place. IMO, and that's all that is, last year was PERFECT. Range of events, with a range of prices, a range of room types, etc. You could pick and choose what you wanted to do and pay accordingly. The registration fee was MORE than worth the $ but just remember everyone...you'll need to actually register for the events vs. showing up. Wei-Shen puts a ton of effort into making the arrangement with the different businesses and when you're playing with something like group admissions or especially food prep...they all need to know ahead of time.

It's gonna be a blast....again!!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:47 PM

I'm game for all but an expensive hotel ($80 or more) and a theme park, although I haven't been to the Space Center, I could be up for that, but still would be hard to keep a group together there.

The buffets sound good, state park is good, drives are good, FoF is good, go carting or whatever you call it would be fun, I'm really open for whatever.

Come on Tommy, are you game? I have to meet you so I can make fun of you.

Chuing, I don't need AIM, TBA has a chatroom. I'm high tech baby!

Okay, we have the location and date set. Wchin is a great organizer and can front deposits! Let's do a mid range hotel $60-70ish maybe. I want the cars to be safe though and park them together.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:02 PM

Guys, I think I may have offended some individuals by being very strong in my suggestions and my intentions to get things moving. I understand that there is a wish for this event to be organized and directed by the CO's of this site and I will step back as requested to maximize attendance by all.

I will sign off this thread. I can be reached at wchin@cfl.rr.com if you need me to do anything relating to this event. I will support all the events, whatever the COs choose. If the COs wish a sponsor, please let me know at what level and in what capacity.

I don't want to be viewed as "taking over the event". Sorry.

Wei-Shen

Quick Reply: Florida Super Meet and Dragon, I need everyone's opinion!