Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

CRACKED Rear window!

Old 10-16-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile CRACKED Rear window!

so this weekend brought cooler temps, so i decide to drop the top for some nice evening driving. as the top is retracting i hear a loud crack! at first i thought someting was stuck in my top, but as im putting it back up i noticed the 2 cracks in the plastic. ruined the whole night.

so my question is: What are my options at this point. Honda quoted $250 plus labor to replace the plastic. $1000 to replace the whole top.

but what i would like to do, is get an '03 glass put in. does any one know if this is possible without having to replace the whole top?

also...does anyone have any other suggestions on where to get tis fixed.

thanx in advance for any information!!!!!!!! -Jared
Old 10-16-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The top convertible frame on the 02 and newer cars are not the same so putting in a 02+ glass rear window will not work
On Ebay there is a top with a glass rear window that will fit over the 00 to 01 frames. You can also get the entire top and frame off any 02 and newer S2000 and fit it on your 01, it will fit like a charm

Sorry to here of the bad luck
Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask Nate (wildcardtrd) about his Robbins top. Canvas and very nice. Glass rear window. I'm definitely going that route next year.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by negcamber,Oct 16 2006, 04:55 PM
Ask Nate (wildcardtrd) about his Robbins top. Canvas and very nice. Glass rear window. I'm definitely going that route next year.

I had the same thing happen to me. I ordered my new top on ebay from cabrioworld. It's a direct replacement with a glass rear window, but you'll need to drill out some old rivits and mount some new straps to the frame to get the 3rd bar to move to a different spot, but all in all it's not a terribly difficult project. I'll be able to help with pointers, or even come and give you a hand if need be. I paid a little over $700 for my top and did the install myself. It's about a 12 hour job, but it defenately helps to have a second set of hands.

You might be able to find the top a little cheaper, but expect to pay in that range for a good one. You can take it to a shop to have it installed, but expect to pay 300-500 for the install.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd love to help do this too so I can get a feel for how difficult the job will be when I do it.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend lives in Jax and has a 95 MX-5. Same thing happened to her and she found a local guy in Jax to do the replacement. Very nice result. No pics sorry. PM me and I will get the address for you. I think it's in Ortega somewhere. She paid $175, installed out the door.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:05 PM

DO NOT DROP THE VINYL TOPS IN WEATHER BELOW 55 DEGREES.. I doubt it was that cold but, if you have done that in the past, it WILL compromise the vinyl rear window meaning it will crack the vinyl. I have read this countless times in the wash and wax and S2000 talk forums

What probably happened is that you started the process some time ago and this past incident just finished it off.

the other posts above covered all my suggestions. you have options but cloth top and/or hardware replacement gets expensive very fast.

Sorry to hear about it happening.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM

I'm looking to get the vinyl patches to cover the wear areas. Where can I get this kit, my top is even starting to wear.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM

Hey Rob, at least it was not a spun rod bearing.......
Old 10-17-2006, 06:03 AM

good deal....i think im gonna go Nate's route. the price seems pretty fair and i dig the canvas conversion. It will probly be a month or so before i can get it done, have some other bills to take care of first. but ill keep you posted. Nate and Robert if guys could help, that would be awesome!!!!

Quick Reply: CRACKED Rear window!