Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Courtesy and decorum on S2KI

Old 10-09-2006, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Courtesy and decorum on S2KI

Is it just me, or has the level of courtousy and decorum dropped significantly on S2KI in recent months?

I'm not talking about our FL board. Seems like w/ an occassional exception, we all get along pretty well here. Maybe b/c a lot of us know each other personally, or maybe b/c our CO's do such a good job keeping on top of things when/if threads start to go south.

I'm talking about the rest of the boards. Seems a thread can't go more than a page or so w/o somebody insulting or flaming someone else. I think the whole xviper fiasco is just the most visible indicator of what seems to be a steady decline in manners on this site. It used to be that forums like F/I and UTH were the domain of intelligent, respectful and knowledgable posters, sharing insights into more technical matters. Those same posters are still there, but it just seems like every time a useful thread gets started, it ends up self-destructing as a bunch of less-than-knowledgable wannabes start throwing their own opinions around as if they were gospel while disrespecting those posters w/ proven knowledge who have already posted. Disagreeing w/ something is one thing, but disrepect, name-calling, etc are something completely different. I can understand why a lot of our more knowledgable members seem to be posting less and less.

I'm not going to link to threads. I think anyone who keeps up w/ things on this site can quote plenty of examples just off the top of their head. For the immediate future I'm changing my bookmark to point right to the FL boards and ignoring the rest of the site. That's a shame b/c there is a lot of useful info out there; i'm just tired of the rest of the crap that seems to be creeping into every decent thread.

So, just me, or do others feel the same way?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:57 AM

I tend to agree. A lot of people say it is the cost of the car going down and the fact that younger people are picking up the car used and then making their way to the forum.

I think it comes in waves, you will see an influx of "noobs" for lack of a better term and they will kick up the dust with the usual questions and antics and then it will trail off again. this theory is being tested as of late as I too have seen an increase in brashness and lack of tact lately.

I cant speak for too many other local forums but we seem to keep our act pretty classy in here.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:07 AM

It happens elsewhere. Over on Elisetalk - we recently had an Exodus of sorts between the Admins/ Moderators and a couple of guys who were the information Guru's and Mod kings for the elise much like Xviper and they started their own site and caused quite a division - Now I visit one for general chat and the other "moremonkey.com" for more adult talk and heavy technical car info..

I would have expected more from Lotus Owners but it just goes to show you that when you have that many different personalities you will have differences - Such is the world we live in!
Old 10-09-2006, 06:10 AM

I have seen/read the same as you have JC.

I appreciate not naming me in that one thread in FI. (not linking it. PMd two guys that wanted some questions answered and helped them out best way I can.)

Most ideas are good ideas, a few are off the wall. I was tired of the bashing and was only in the Corner for a while. There you may have all the fun you want since joking and pranks are the norm there. Respect is earned, not given there.

I have met a few S owners out in Largo/ Clearwater/ St. Pete that will not join S2ki at all because of what they have seen. They were mixed of young, mid age, and young at heart.

Giving advice on the boards is sometimes taken as gospel and if for some tiny reason crap hits the fan, the flaming and begin and threads either get locked, or continue getting out of hand.

Will have to see whre this all comes out in the wash. Hopefully things will balance out.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:02 AM

I agree JC and Rob I am 26 years old and been on the boards for less then a year.I have meet lots of great peoples and made lots of friends in the past year. Our fourm (the FL.) is very close nit but of lately there has been some negative comments on what some of us are doing and that's begining to piss me off.

Like a few weeks back when we meet at QnS and that one guy was bashing on us the hood mod. we like it and it doses what it looks like lets the heat out.Its not only for looks beacuse it doses look good but its also functional.

You guys Rock on the FL.Fourm we are like a family and for the one's that are gona be negative about any of our mods. or the meets on this Fourm don't say anything then keep you comments to yourself.

that's my .12 cent
Old 10-09-2006, 07:08 AM

Old 10-09-2006, 07:34 AM

X2. I think you were all mind readers.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this very same thing caused the split of the 'old' Hybrid page. I was an active member for nearly 8 years. After about the 5 year there started to be more 'personality perspective' issues than anything else. It almost seemed like some people were 'jealous' of others which caused anymosity.

It was the cause for demise of several good groups and essentially the reason why the 'import scene' was no longer respectable. I know a few of us are from that era.

hopefully we (s2ki) won't share in that stigma ...
Old 10-09-2006, 08:50 AM

As long as we keep it civil in our forum(s) I dont think much will be affected.

The people we meet that may be "on the fence" concerning joining the forum need to be assured that the local forums (where a lot of the important stuff is anyways IMHO ) are still a strong resource and a great place to meet up and plan events.

Maybe the people that are turned off by the more "public" forums will find our local scene worthy of hanging around for
Old 10-09-2006, 09:18 AM

I think PrimoGen hit it on the head with the 'Cycle' thing. I was lurking on S2ki for a while but never posted because of all the Flaming... I think it is better now than then but, some of he forums have reverted to net-violence.

I read somewhere in one of the XViper threads "don't type here anything you wouldn't say to your friend sitting across the table'...

That's a good rule to post by...

Quick Reply: Courtesy and decorum on S2KI