Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Corner balance

Old 06-13-2008, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corner balance

Can it be done with stock shocks. If so anybody local recomended?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably wouldn't like the way it would have to be done. Without height adjustable coilovers, you have to weld weight on the corner of the car that needs it to give the best cross weights.

I dunno...not going to weld more weight in my car.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 AM

As Neg said, you world have to redistribute weight around the S. This is going to be pricey and more than likely out price a very nice set of coilovers. As for a location to get and where I have had mine done, click the S&R Performance tag in my signature.

J
Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 AM

So all a corner balance does is raise/lower the coilovers until the load is equal at all corners? Wouldn't this lead to uneven ride height / tire wear, if the weight distribution of the car is skewed from OEM (by stereo, engine mods, etc.)? I would think that if the car is not perfectly balanced at OEM ride height proportions, the proportions would have to change to get the balance to change, right?

I am probably going to get up with 2NR Werks sometime during the KamiSpeed meet (if they are going to be there... if not, they are only like an hour or so away, and are on the way home for me). I need this BADLY since the s2k has been dropped, and the extra weight of the turbo kit was added up front...

John
Old 06-13-2008, 03:12 PM

So all a corner balance does is raise/lower the coilovers until the load is equal at all corners? If you can't move weight around then Yes!

Wouldn't this lead to uneven ride height / tire wear, if the weight distribution of the car is skewed from OEM (by stereo, engine mods, etc.)? Your ride height is uneven everytime you get in your car. Driver's weight lowers the drivers side. When you corner balance you sit in the car for weight adjustment or the car gets weighted to your weight. Car height doesn't effect tire wear. After you get corner balanced get a good alignment.

I would think that if the car is not perfectly balanced at OEM ride height proportions, the proportions would have to change to get the balance to change, right? Not exactly sure what you mean by this but if OEM has to worry about safety and other regulations. Doesn't always mean the car is setup to handle the best it can. Someone that knows what he is doing can improve upon the OEM setup.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Here is my OEM improvement: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=554931&hl=

If I remember, the thread covers just about everything. A couple of notes: A factory built vehicle will never have matching corners of weight (see before and after pics of my S's weight.) "Corner Balancing" is actually "Cross Balancing" whereas you are making the (LF+RR)* = (RF + LR)* This is why you can corner balance a Ford Mustang with a discussting front to rear weight ratio.

* corner weights
J
Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Elroy,Jun 13 2008, 06:47 PM
Here is my OEM improvement: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=554931&hl=

If I remember, the thread covers just about everything. A couple of notes: A factory built vehicle will never have matching corners of weight (see before and after pics of my S's weight.) "Corner Balancing" is actually "Cross Balancing" whereas you are making the (LF+RR)* = (RF + LR)* This is why you can corner balance a Ford Mustang with a discussting front to rear weight ratio.

* corner weights
J
Old 06-14-2008, 06:03 AM

I take it that corner balance on stock shocks is a no go, to hard to move the weight around so i guess thats out.
I put a Gendron sway bar on and am going to Sebring with NASA 6/21. I need wheel alignment done and was going with the Gendron recomendation specs, unless someone recomends something better.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=cvedral,Jun 14 2008, 10:03 AM] I take it that corner balance on stock shocks is a no go, to hard to move the weight around so i guess thats out.
I put a Gendron sway bar on and am going to Sebring with NASA 6/21. I need
Old 06-14-2008, 06:41 AM

I am also interested in what they suggest for an alignmet. I have been messing with mine since I bought the car.

Quick Reply: Corner balance