Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Comptech air intake ?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Comptech air intake ?

I am thinking about the Comptech air intake. Does anyone have any experiences with this? I am making a decision soon. I was also thinking about the K&N FIPK. All thoughts and suggestions are strongly welcomed.

Today, I picked up a Fujitsubo Legalis R, right here in Orlando. I just installed it two hours ago. I bought it from a place that had the lowest price in the country. The place is Kami Speed, http://www.kamispeed.com off of Sand Lake Rd. Right now I am researching the Comptech air intake. If all goes well, I am ordering it tomorrow. The Fujitsubo they had in stock. Last week I went down there inquiring about it. They told me that it was $841.00 plus tax. This week, I guess the Yen went up or Fujitsubo raised their price because now he says the price is $941.00. Yes, Jimmy gave it to me for $841.00. Kami Speed are now my friends.

Thraak
Old 10-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw that same intake on e-bay for $300
Old 10-18-2006, 07:21 PM

The comptech lacks quality in fit and finish and has major issues with rubbing on the hood and stowing of the hood prop. It also uses a foam filter which tends to degrade and crumble over times getting foam particles in the engine. I've installed many intakes of all kinds and the K&N was the easiest and seemed very well made. No intake will do much more than look and sound different than stock. Don't expect miracles of much more than a couple ponies at best.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:25 PM

Yeah,
The Comptech website has it for $369. Kamispeed in Orlando has it for $350. No shipping charges,but, I will be paying local sales tax. So it all evens out.

I think that I am ordering it tomorrow because I have searched the S2k forums the past hour and the Comptech website, and I think that it is what I am looking for.

I think that I am the last person on earth that won't try Ebay. I know of people that have gotten burnt by counterfeit Focal car speaker systems. One guy that I've seen thinks that he has K2p's but Ebay delivered him Kf's.

I always like to think that you get what you pay for.

Thraak

(edited post)
Thanks Hygiene Boy, maybe I have to think a little more about the K&N.
This is why this S2ki site is so great.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 AM

I'm in HB's camp on the Comptech CAI. I had one for a few months and ended up getting rid of it. Mine rubbed the hood and came with a cheesy foam filter which I replaced with an AEM gauze filter (~$50). From what I could tell, it added nothing to the car other than noise and lower MPG than the stock intake and filter.
I've been pleased with my AUT design cooling/intake plate, stock airbox, and K&N drop-in filter. Total cost to my door - $225. For close to the same amount, the FIPK is also a much better choice than the Comptech unit, IMO.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FIPK. It is very good quality with excellent instructions. My sat of the pants dynamometer says the midrange is beefed up and definately pulls stronger in vtec. I bought it on ebay for $209 plus shipping. Here is who I bought it from. They are in florida so it was an overnight ups ship
FIPK S2000
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by captainbk,Oct 19 2006, 12:24 PM
I have the FIPK. It is very good quality with excellent instructions. My sat of the pants dynamometer says the midrange is beefed up and definately pulls stronger in vtec. I bought it on ebay for $209 plus shipping. Here is who I bought it from. They are in florida so it was an overnight ups ship
FIPK S2000
I have the same intake, and it sounds great at VTEC!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the FIPK kit GII, and recently vented hood. A few comments for you to ponder:

I have noticed a sig. increase in HWY mileage since install. Also, I can tell you that it's a very tight kit and easy to assemble and get into the right place.

VTEC does indeed sound much better and the trottle response does change so much as to be noticable. The air box the filter resides in is difficult to get into place with out the right tools, but does a great job protecting the filter.

On a different note, with the top two hood vents cut into my OEM hood, the air box does get considerable "cold air" exposure. And yes, it is exposed to the elements, but after driving from Jax today in the driving rain to Orlando, I popped the hood to inspect for moisture in the box with little to none to be found.

In short... very happy and would recc to anyone.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:58 PM

Thanks to those that have responded. The decision was made and I went with the K&N FIPK. I ordered it last night. It is scheduled to arrive Monday. I also ordered the OEM front lip. That will be arriving later in the week.

So now it will be interesting how the FIPK performs with the new Fujitsubo.

Thraak