Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Clear Bra

Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody know of a good place in the St Pete Clearwater area?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have found with things like these there is no safe removal ive had vinyl on several vehicles and once it has started to crack and fade the compound actually adhears to the paint with all the temp changes. I seriously doubt it will come off but it may.. To me i think it is a respray job. Since i had my problem i will not longer put vinyl or any other type of stick-on on the vehicles paint for an extended period.. good luck

you may spend more money trying to get it off than to just repaint it.. just a thought
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by speedworksracing' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:34 PM
Again I am with primo. I dont even need to talk in this thread Primo has it handled
sorry I just have a little down time after getting back from lunch LOL

Sorry Chip I have no advice on good shops in the area. The last time I had any tint or anything installed on a car was back in 1999 and it was an excellent installer who worked out of his garage and is probably back in jail on meth charges by now.....
Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by MIAMI4QUAD' date='Jan 22 2009, 01:40 PM
i have found with things like these there is no safe removal ive had vinyl on several vehicles and once it has started to crack and fade the compound actually adhears to the paint with all the temp changes. I seriously doubt it will come off but it may.. To me i think it is a respray job. Since i had my problem i will not longer put vinyl or any other type of stick-on on the vehicles paint for an extended period.. good luck

you may spend more money trying to get it off than to just repaint it.. just a thought
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 AM

Captain, before you spend the money try a little experiment. Ass/u/me the paint is shot, lost case you must respray the car (only option we have)

get some Mineral Spirits (Home Depot) and soak a small area of the film with a small disposable brush 1" if possible (remember is a test) the film should get gooey ( like a sticky rubber) wipe with paper towel or soft plastic spatula. Ass/u/me a second time that the residue comes off but you still have some marks on the paint underneath buy 1200 wet sand paper and wet sand the the area and buff it using a buffer not by hand. If you want to try it, let me know how it went, if you're not handy then let me know how much it cost you to get it fixed I wished I lived closer to you to give you a hand...

Disclosure: Renderman is not responsible for any damage to the engine block, rear hatch or the neighbor's door, this is only a test
Old 01-22-2009, 10:53 AM

After talking to some gurus, I am going to attempt the removal myself, probably on one of the mirrors first to see how bad it will be. I have a good adjustable heat gun so I am going to try that. It will be a weekend job from the sound of it.

One of the descriptions said to have plenty of refreshments
Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 PM

if you are using a "heat gun" use the absolute lowest temperature setting and hold it far away from the surface. when removing vinyls that are stubborn you only want to heat the area to a level not too much higher than it would get in the summer sunlight.

if you want to try it with some helping hands I will available all day saturday at my house as I will be preping the car for the Gainesville car show.

comeby if you have time and I can help evaluate and tenderly work on some area...we should be able to determine your best course of action together after we see the extent. invest in a bottle of goo gone....if we are successful that will help remove the left over adhesive.

if you are lucky we can get out of this with just a solid washing and waxing afterwards....bring your normal detailing regiment with you if it can git in your trunk (washes waxes etc....

let me know if you want to try this

rob
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by captainbk' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:03 PM
I am in contact with www.AutoPaintGuard.com , they are out of tampa.

The material looks like it is cracked but is not peeling in the very least. I hope it does not come apart during removal.....Arghhhh

Scott, Jeff feel fre to chime in.
Ryan Burroughs with Auto Paint Guard right here in Tampa is my choice. He's done three cars for me and I always appreciate the quality of his work. He does not rush anything and .....he comes to my house & does it in my garage. He also does most of the high end cars in the area. Ask to see some of the pics he has done.

*This is my personal editorial. When it comes to something that I could screw up just to save a few retail dollars, it has always cost me more to fix my mess. My suggestion to all of you would be to state that if you have never tried to do this, don't start now. Your paint job is just too important. The tools and experience are worth the extra bucks. Plus he supports the S2KI crowd. I am trying to get him to do the sponsorship at our S2KI Florida Super Meet as well.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by captainbk' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:53 PM
After talking to some gurus, I am going to attempt the removal myself, probably on one of the mirrors first to see how bad it will be. I have a good adjustable heat gun so I am going to try that. It will be a weekend job from the sound of it.

One of the descriptions said to have plenty of refreshments
EDIT: If you wait till the Super Meet we can have a Super removal day, I think 73 people should be able to pull the film and the bumper right off
Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by zacksdad2' date='Jan 22 2009, 01:36 PM
Ryan Burroughs with Auto Paint Guard right here in Tampa is my choice. He's done three cars for me and I always appreciate the quality of his work. He does not rush anything and .....he comes to my house & does it in my garage. He also does most of the high end cars in the area. Ask to see some of the pics he has done.

*This is my personal editorial. When it comes to something that I could screw up just to save a few retail dollars, it has always cost me more to fix my mess. My suggestion to all of you would be to state that if you have never tried to do this, don't start now. Your paint job is just too important. The tools and experience are worth the extra bucks. Plus he supports the S2KI crowd. I am trying to get him to do the sponsorship at our S2KI Florida Super Meet as well.
++1 Ryan did mine and he is probably the best installer in town. He did my second install and compared to the first, it is 100x better.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra