Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

brake pads

Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lemme know!

These are the best pads, but also the loudest. If we can figure out a way to cut down on the noise we will have a winner.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,May 21 2007, 09:23 PM
lemme know!

These are the best pads, but also the loudest. If we can figure out a way to cut down on the noise we will have a winner.
um, use the stock shims. My Project pads were hella loud too, put stock shims in. Problem solved. Kthxbye!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:06 AM

I highly recomend Top Secret super street pads. I have had them on for a month and spent the weekend at Sebring with PBOC. Execellent and NO NOISE!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 PM

i wanted to re-write my impressions on the Cobalt GT-Sports... my initial views were tainted by having installed the pads raw.. meaning without ANY anti-squeal... i needed them on quick and didnt have time to go buy more anti-squeal...

last week... i put the GT-Sports back on for the weekend at Sebring... i used a good amount of CRC Disk Brake Quiet from Advanced Auto... this is available in both spray and paste... i used the paste this time, but had the spray last time with my Carbotech's... paste is messier...

anyways, for 2 days, and the drive to Sebring, the pads had almost ZERO squeal... daily drivable in my opinion... it totally changed the impression i had formed about the GT-Sports...

now this is the tricky part... after 1 whole day at Sebring... (190 track miles --- hot sun, and i was flying ) the anti-squeal has almost completely melted off the pads and shims... on the drive back from sebring, they started squealing again ... and still doing so... theyre not as bad as when i had NO anti-squeal on... but i dont think its daily drivable at this state...

but i think if i re-apply a new layer of the CRC anti-squeal, it should be fine on the streets... just that, another track day will melt it off...

beyond that, the GT-Sports are excellant on track with street tires... they have great bite, and almost no fade... and this is at the tail end of a full day... now Sebring is hard on brakes, but has pretty long straights for cooling off brakes too... thats something you dont have at GIR... im really happy with them, atleast with street tires...
Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 PM

I've put them on my car with the same results. I know that I will melt off the CRC, but I am very impressed with the stopping power of these pads. so far no squeal!

thanks for the update iceman!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you guys ever tried the EBC BLUEstuff(track pads only due to high temps needed for best operation) pads?

Race pads here

I rock the greens and love them----been to the dragon twice
Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=4bang6,Jun 13 2007, 08:31 PM] have you guys ever tried the EBC BLUEstuff(track pads only due to high temps needed for best operation) pads?

I rock the greens and love them----been to the dragon twice
Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a tube of the Anti-squeal and will try this on the Cobalt GT-sports tomorrow rather than swapping back to OEM's just as an experiment. This is not a noise that anyone could live with in a DD. It is definitely louder than my horn in sheer decibels with that added fingernails on a chalkboard tonal quality to really make the neighbors wince.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Mike,
I used the CRC anti-squeal spray and loaded it on. I let it dry overnight and loaded some more on. My brakes are mouse quiet with the Cobalts. I've done two Auto-Xs with them but honestly I haven't been all that hard on the brakes (nothing like the Dragon anyway). My rotors are getting eaten alive and the brake pads drag when I drive creating quite a bit of dust. Unreal dust really. I cannot drive around the block with clean wheels.

Stop like an anchor though.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:07 PM

I do believe that the stopping power of my fronts far excel my rears. Currently I have Performance Friction pads in the rear. If anyone wants them, let me know. They are barely used. I think I need a more aggressive pad, because my fronts go into ABS very very easily. I think that if i have more stopping power in the back I can offset this and actually improve my braking grip and distance.

Quick Reply: brake pads