Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

brake pads

Old 05-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pads

Hey guys and gals, I posted this thread in the Wheels and Tires forum. Since brake pads are so close to the wheels and tires, I figured it might get some traction. Well I figured wrong.

Can any of you give me some insight? I've got torn up rotors and I hear that the HP+ are much better and aren't that loud. I've heard the new Cobalts, and although they will make your car stand on the front tires they sound like a NYC subway.

help a brother out!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=56&t=491095
Old 05-21-2007, 07:18 AM

im not familiar with Hawk HP+, but ive got the new Cobalt GTSports and theyre LOUUUUDDDD...

im not one to care much about a little brake squeal... i ran carbotech XP8's full time on the street... they were quieter... but i cant put up with the GTSports... so now i swap between OEM pads and Cobalt's for track duty...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if they make them for the S but I used Perfomance Friction on my 300zx with great results. That was HEAVY car.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 AM

i ran the hawk HPS before, no squeaks. i also tracked the pad with decent results. though i never tried the HP+.

why don't you try calling some of the mfg's and see if you can talk to a tech person. or maybe someone at tirerack can give you good feedback. just a thought.

good luck,

matt
Old 05-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Jim@tirerack has replied in the other thread. He told me to use brake lubricant on the back of the shim. derrr....

I would've gone Cobalts but they are so damn loud, crazy loud. Like you can't hear your stereo loud; I don't want them. Most people believe that their new formula is quiet, and it's not. At the auto-X I spoke and rode with a driver that had the Bobcats and they stopped great and mouse quiet. So far those are my top choice. I've read that the HP+ are also loud and eat rotors.

The Hawk HPS stop great, are quiet but eat the rotors. These are the pads I currently have.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bobcats are what I had before the Cobalts. They are OK, but not stellar. They didn't hold up so well to the Dragon. They were pretty baked after one of our hotter runs...remember the smoke? They were throw away after that.

BTW...don't you want to call the hawgs!!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 PM

regarding the pad goo for the back of the pad. i use the CRC disc brake quite stuff. it's in a small bottle and the goo is a pink'ish red color. i put it on the back of the pad where it meets the caliper. it goes on like toothpaste but dries to a rubbery consistency. makes the pad stick to the caliper. i recommend it, it works for me. i think i bought mine at pep boys 3 yrs ago and the stuff in the bottle is still good. ie: it hasn't hardened or gone bad. i have probably done 4 brake jobs with the one bottle and i still have more than half left.

CRC disk brake quiet
Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 PM

i use ebc green stuff, they do not need to warm up at all so they are some of the best in the world for autocross. also they have a very high heat threshold and have low (ish) dust.

also they aren't very expensive either...

mine might squeak a lil (not much, and not very often) but i didn't put any brake quite on them cuz well, uve seen my car, i don't care about anything but performance lol
Old 05-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RadioZero,May 21 2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks...going to try that this weekend. I'll let everybody know how they sound after a treatment.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=negcamber,May 21 2007, 05:31 PM] Thanks...going to try that this weekend.

Quick Reply: brake pads