Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Bicycle shop in tampa

Old 07-22-2007, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bicycle shop in tampa

I've been running a lot lately and the streets have not been kind to me. Every once in awhile I'll get sore knees the day after from all of the impact on asphalt. So as an alternative cardio exercise, I've decided to invest in a good bike to blaze the many paved bike trails around my area.

Does anyone know of a good bicycle shop in tampa? Or better yet does someone have a decent used bike that doesn't get much road time anymore that I could buy?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of bike you looking for?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:33 AM

Check out AJs Bikes and Boards in Valrico. Ask for Dave or Darren. They are both owners. Excellent service and price. Tell them Rob Crisostomo sent you. The will hook you up.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 AM

I'm not looking for one of those road racing bikes, you know like the one lance armstrong rides. Those are too uncomfortable. I don't think a mountain bike would be good either, we dont have mountains and the trails I'm looking at are paved. I'm not looking at a cruiser bike either, I dont wanna look like a geezer trying to relive the roaring 20's.

I guess you would call it a utility bike? Basically a good all around bike. I dont wanna spend an arm and a leg on a professional bike, and I dont wanna buy the bike at walmart.

RobsS2k--What ballpark figure am I looking at at AJ's bikes? Do they sell used?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:46 AM

Walmart has very good bikes like Mongoose, Schwinn ect at very good prices. I'd go that route and see how it goes. If the bike riding thing sticks with you and you stay consistant then pony up some more dough for something nicer down the road. A nice big fat gel grandpa seat also is worth the extra money in the long run. Your prostate will thank you
Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 AM

Dud Thames in S. Tampa is a good shop. They won't be the cheapest but they stand behind what they sell and they have a good selection. I think they are still family owned.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Specialized makes some very comfortable bikes. these bikes can be had for a little over $300 each.

check these out, click on the link.

Expedition

Crossroads

Plenty of dealers in the area
Old 07-22-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by hygiene boy,Jul 22 2007, 09:46 AM
Walmart has very good bikes like Mongoose, Schwinn ect at very good prices. I'd go that route and see how it goes. If the bike riding thing sticks with you and you stay consistant then pony up some more dough for something nicer down the road. A nice big fat gel grandpa seat also is worth the extra money in the long run. Your prostate will thank you
u did not just suggest that...

even though it has the mongoose and Schwinn name on it, doesn't mean that its a mongoose or schwinn. both those companies went bankrupt and the rights to the names were sold to pacific. all bikes sold at walmart use substandard parts and accessories that will not last, thats a given. but the big one is the way in which the bikes are assembled, by someone who does not know what they are doing and are getting paid per bike instead of per hour (where a bike shop mechanic would make a bike every 45min to an hr. a walmart employee will assemble 5, 6, or even more in an hr.). so if u want to not die cuz the bike was assembled poorly/wrong u will have to pay a real bike shop to look it over neways.

the type of bike u are looking for is called a hybrid. it will give u a much more relaxed seated style like a mountian bike but with road tire on it. there are several different versions of these styles of bikes, and a bike shop will carry them ranging from $200 to $1000 depending on make/model and what components it has.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 PM

I'd go for a cheapo walmart, but I don't want the wheel flying off at speed.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:00 PM

like i said a shop should have a bike exacly like what ur looking for 200 maybe even less... i think diamondback has a hybrid in the 175 range.

Quick Reply: Bicycle shop in tampa