Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Attempting to install Hondata Gasket

Old 05-02-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Attempting to install Hondata Gasket

Ok, I've planned out the entire dismantle and re-asembly process, with the exception of the bottom 5 bolts on the intake manifold that attach to the head. I cannot get a wrench, socket, swivel-extended socket, or anything near those bolts. For anyone who's installed one of these, what tricks did you use/discover to make this an easier process? I'd rather not have to dismantle the entire driver's side of the engine bay for 5 measly 12mm bolts if I didn't have to...

Any help of suggestions on this would be appreciated. ...and yes, I am quite mechanically inclined, I just didn't feel like tearing everything apart just yet until I'm ready to commit the time necessary to complete this task
Old 05-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Chiung...how about a mod day soon where you can help some of us with the Hondata gasket. I know I'd like to get one after feeling how much cooler WillieGee's intake is compared to mine.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my Head off, made it much easier Other than that I can't help you, sorry.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:16 PM

if chiung is doing another mod day, then i'll be first on the list for the hondata gasket. right chiung?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,May 2 2006, 09:06 PM
Ok, I've planned out the entire dismantle and re-asembly process, with the exception of the bottom 5 bolts on the intake manifold that attach to the head. I cannot get a wrench, socket, swivel-extended socket, or anything near those bolts. For anyone who's installed one of these, what tricks did you use/discover to make this an easier process? I'd rather not have to dismantle the entire driver's side of the engine bay for 5 measly 12mm bolts if I didn't have to...

Any help of suggestions on this would be appreciated. ...and yes, I am quite mechanically inclined, I just didn't feel like tearing everything apart just yet until I'm ready to commit the time necessary to complete this task
For me - the best way to get the bottom bolts is using a 12mm, 1/4 inch drive swivel socket from Sears. Combined with two 1/4" extensions (6" each), I've been able to get all the bolts out and later to torque them down. Only once have I had to take the throttle body off to get the front bottom bolt out.

Sears item #00943198000 Mfr. model #43198

1/4 in. drive flexible socket. 6 pt. opening. Metric size 12mm. Guaranteed forever.

I was actually at Sears to day to pick one up, but they were out.

You definitely need a magnetic pick-up tool to pick up dropped bolts, nuts, sockets etc., and maybe a spring-loaded claw-type pick-up tool also.

You'll need some sort of grinding bit and drill/dremel to hog out the two bolt holes on the bracket that supports the bottom front of the intake manifold.

Also do your best to protect the fender with lots of padding - even so don't lean on the fender. Your back will hate you but it could save a wrinkled fender if you're not careful.

And have Marcucci's writeup, with pictures, handy.

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/

Finally, when putting the hoses back on, don't mix up the coolant and vacuum lines.

As far as a mod day for the gasket - I would like to do one if someone wants to learn the process so that I can pass the torch on to someone who will continue the tradition of helping other owners do this mod. I think my back has only a few more Hondata gaskets left...

It really isn't a difficult mod, just time-consuming. Anyone out there doing it themselves and have any questions - feel free to PM me for help.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-S2K,May 3 2006, 12:16 AM
if chiung is doing another mod day, then i'll be first on the list for the hondata gasket. right chiung?
Sure - let's try to do something this month. I could do yours and if Negcamber wants to come over and follow along, we could do 2 in one day. It's been done before. Negcamber, how mechanically inclined are you?

Old 05-03-2006, 04:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I need this done also.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chiung,May 3 2006, 12:01 AM
Sure - let's try to do something this month. I could do yours and if Negcamber wants to come over and follow along, we could do 2 in one day. It's been done before. Negcamber, how mechanically inclined are you?

I'll lend a hand or tools, whichever is needed.

Dave, aren't you in San Diego?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:03 AM

I used a lot of extensions and a 1/4 in drive socket. The 1/4 in drive and swivels are smaller and fit in the tight places better. If I remember right I used some permatex to hold the nut in the socket.

Good luck it is a bitch....
Old 05-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not an uber mechanic, but I do my own brakes, installed my header + exhaust. I know which way to turn a wrench (righty tighty - lefty loosey )

I could probably install the gasket myself with Marcucci's instructions, but it is always good to have someone around who has done the work few times before in case I get in trouble.

Quick Reply: Attempting to install Hondata Gasket