European S2000 Owners Covers: Austria, Belguim, Czech, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland.
Plus: Scandinavia and the Nordics. Covering: Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, even Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe Islands!

Visiting Southern Portugal - Any Advice

Old 05-11-2002, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visiting Southern Portugal - Any Advice

Good day:

I decided at the last second to visit Portugal this June and would like to get some advice on the "must visit/stay" places. I am deciding on either Lagos or Albufeira. I am looking for the night life but also a place where I an kick back relax and enjoy the view. Any advice? Oh ya, please don't forget the beaches. Thanks for the help
Old 05-12-2002, 08:20 AM

I don't usually go on holidays to the Algarve, maybe someone else chips in with additional information.

Lagos is more "typical" than Albufeira which isn't much more than a tourist resort. It's also closer to the Atlantic coast so more likely to get wind and cooler temps.

Algarve is not such a big place, so if you rent a car you should be able to see quite a bit of it. There are nice beaches, scenery and food, but also overbuilt and run down places.

Usually western Algarve is more pristine but less warm than the easter side. I would recommend a good guide if you have the time to look around.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:24 PM

Hi,

Well, I dont know Lagos that much, but if you go to Albufeira you have a lot of places to visit and specially to EAT.

For the food :

Inside Albufeira you have lot of places where you can eat very good grilled fish (80% of the restaurant's are very good). Downtown in what is called the old city, you have a very small beach, and in front of the beach you will find 5 or 6 restaurant's where you can pick your fish and they will serve it to you and the fish is allways fresh. I'm the kind of guy that think that fish is good to eat once every 2 month, but when Im there thats fish paradise . You can also go to the Fishing Club (very cheap and well served) but is outside the town (4 Km west). For meat you have a lot of tipycal places, for exemple you can go to "Casa do Alentejo" in the new city, its a tipical portuguese food and you can eat almost everything. In the same street (other end) you have "Adega beir
Old 05-12-2002, 03:30 PM

Where you read , please read .
Old 05-14-2002, 06:50 AM

Lagos, it's very nice and you will find several places to have excellent food and also for the nightlife. Luis is right.

But near Albufeira, you have Vilamoura. Between Albufeira and Vilamoura you will find excellent nightlife.

Besides what Vitinho told you, if you stay at Albufeira or Vilamoura, don't forget these names:

- Alabastro

- Capitulo V

- Kadoc

The first one is a excellent bar open all year with house music.

The second one, normally opens on Friday's and Saturday's (specially saturday). It is one of the best places to go. Excellent music and beautifull people, specially girls.

The third one is the best disco in that part of the Algarve. It starts not before 2 a.m. but normally it reachs the higher level at 3 a.m /3.30 a.m. (In portugal, the night life starts very late. After dinner usually we go to have a coffee or a beer and around 2 in the morning, everybody starts moving for dancing and party......

Last but not least, please tell me what you will prefer and we can give a good idea for the places to eat and dance.

Maybe the best solution is to rent a car and drive from Albufeira to Lagos and stay there for 2 or 3 days and then return to Albufeira, if you reach Algarve by plane (as Albufeira is nearer to the Faro's airport - 25km)

The distance between Albufeira and Lagos is about 90km.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:20 AM

will you be only in the southern area or perhaps in Lisbon
Because if in the Lisbon area that we can arranje a night out