European S2000 Owners Covers: Austria, Belguim, Czech, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland.
Plus: Scandinavia and the Nordics. Covering: Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, even Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe Islands!

Spain Vacation

Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spain Vacation

My wife and I are going to be in Spain for 2+ weeks in early September.

We arrive from the US into Barcelona and return from Madrid.

Day
1 - Depart US
2 - Arrive Barcelona
3 - Barcelona
4 - Barcelona
5 - Barcelona
6 - Barcelona / Madrid
7 - Madrid
8 - Madrid
9 - Madrid
10 - Jerez/Sevilla
11 - Jerez/Sevilla
12- Wedding - Jerez
13 - Jerez/Sevilla
14 - Jerez/Sevilla
15- Depart Madrid/Arrive US

My preference is to avoid internal flights. They are expensive and take quite a bit of time if you factor in travel to airport, arriving early for screening, flt times.

I am considering a EuroRail pass (3 travel days in 20 calendar days), but am having some difficulty figuring out if the 'fast' trains are included in the pass and if I can get from Jerez to Madrid early in the morning on day 15 for our return trip.

I would also a car but that appears to be ALOT of driving.

Is the train the best choice when balancing speed, cost, convenience? If someone could post a link for the rail/train network, it would be appreciated.

We are not beach people, nor are we late night, party-types. We want to see culture (museums, parks, churches, art galleries) and architecture. I also want great food and drink. Barcelona is a must for us. Jerez is also a must, because of the wedding. Would Madrid be a good second city for 3 days?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know, the Interrail pass does not allow you to travel with Ave (high speed train), at least without paying supplement..

But considering your destinations and schedule, I would not get an Interrail ticket..

Inside Barcelona you don't need the train at all (just metro), the same applies for Madrid.. you can get in Barcelona (or Madrid) some combi Tickets that are valid for both bus and metro (10 travels)

Personally I would just get an AVE ticket from Barcelona to Madrid and one AVE ticket from Madrid to Sevilla. In Sevilla you could just rent a car to go to Jerez and the wedding, then you are a bit more flexible.

I know I am biased, but Barcelona must be definitely your first city Madrid is also a great city too, if you have some free days you could also consider visiting the surroundings of Madrid.. cities like Segovia or Avila or Toledo or "Monasterio del Escorial", etc etc..
Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by deibit
As far as I know, the Interrail pass does not allow you to travel with Ave (high speed train), at least without paying supplement..

But considering your destinations and schedule, I would not get an Interrail ticket..

Inside Barcelona you don't need the train at all (just metro), the same applies for Madrid.. you can get in Barcelona (or Madrid) some combi Tickets that are valid for both bus and metro (10 travels)

Personally I would just get an AVE ticket from Barcelona to Madrid and one AVE ticket from Madrid to Sevilla. In Sevilla you could just rent a car to go to Jerez and the wedding, then you are a bit more flexible.

I know I am biased, but Barcelona must be definitely your first city Madrid is also a great city too, if you have some free days you could also consider visiting the surroundings of Madrid.. cities like Segovia or Avila or Toledo or "Monasterio del Escorial", etc etc..
+1.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:46 PM

When you are in Madrid, you HAVE to go to The Prado!!!! (Museo del Prado) To appreciate it's collection, take an entire day (or two).

Barcelona eat at Quartre Gats, a Pacasso hangout. Also take the day to visit Gaudi's The Sagrada Familia. Walked up a spire and my calves were sore the rest of the trip. Park Guell was also designed by Gaudi. Make sure you drink from the fountain so you will return.

In Seville, go to The Cathedral Of Seville.

I'm jealous ;-), hope this is helpful. Wish I appreciated the background before visiting Spain. Have a "Salud" for me with your tapas and enjoy your trip.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM
HDA

I would get a car and just drive (outside of barcelona) around and stop wherever I feel like it. Europe has some awesome places even outside the big cities (unlike, sadly, US)
Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

men... if I were you, I would pick a rent car In barajas and instead of travelling to the south I would go just in the other way, much much much much better , you could visit Bilbao, San sebastian, Oviedo... those are really nice citys... and if you have time I would travel to the northeast part of basque country limited with france, INCREDIBLE places arround there.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpotenxixe
men... if I were you, I would pick a rent car In barajas and instead of travelling to the south I would go just in the other way, much much much much better , you could visit Bilbao, San sebastian, Oviedo... those are really nice citys... and if you have time I would travel to the northeast part of basque country limited with france, INCREDIBLE places arround there.
Yeah! I agree (this is where I live) but that's not what the OP is asking for.
I agree with Deibit too. Train or, if you want to get some action, rent a car.
Have a nice stay in Spain!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your replies.

We had 3 fixed points on the trip - - - arrive in Barca, wedding in Jerez, depart in Madrid. Bilboa and San Sebatian will have to wait until next visit.

The trip was amazing. I will return to Spain - the people, the art, the culture and the food were all excellent.

3 nights in Barca (Museo de Picasso, Sagrda Familia, Guell Park, Boqueria )
3 nights in Valencia (City of science, Mistrella for Vallencia v Ath Madrid)
1 night in Grenada (El Alhambra)
1 night in Sevilla (Cathedral)
4 nights in Jerez/Cadis (Bodegas, wedding)
2 nights in Madrid (Reina Sofia)

We rented a car and drove everywhere with the exception of taking the AVE from Jerez/Sevilla to Madrid. Too much driving but we enjoyed the views of the country, next time we'll fly or train between cities. Gas is expensive and the tolls were also very high - - - the road system is very well maintained. Did not see one S2000 on the entire trip!

The beer was great. The wine was great. I wish I could sleep with a Jamon - - - the best. Tapas and bocadillo. Tortilla de patata, patatas bravada, pimentos, pulpo de galicia, boquerones, banderillas, gambas were some of my favorite items.

Was able to see Guenica at the Reina Sofia. This was a lifelong dream. It is an amazing piece of art and was really moving to see it in person.

Grenada was not in our initial plans. I'm glad we stopped. El Alhambra was an amazing piece of history and architecture. It should be on every persons list of things to visit.

My favorite place was the Sagrada Familia - - - words, in any language, cannot describe what an amazing place it is. We walked for four hours and could have stayed longer. Gaudi, and those who followed, are truly amazing.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 AM

Spain is lovely isn't it?

There are not many S2000 in Spain (rare stuff), if you thought that gas was expensive, don't drive to Germany but in return we have 102 Octane RON fuel in German pumps (that's almost race gas)

Highways have a good quality in Spain that's true (and they are indeed expensive), but they are way too narrow (not many 4+4 lane highways for example). Additionally, Spaniards love to drive on the left side of the highway (also when the rest of the highway is completely free), the problem is that in Europe you are not allowed to pass on the right (bummer)

If you liked Gaudi, you should visit Casa Batlló next time (in Passeig de Gracia, close to Plaça de Catalunya), and Parc Güell as well

Guernica is impresive in real (much more impressive than the pictures).

Food is wonderful all over Spain, that's what I miss the most in Germany
Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deibit
Highways have a good quality in Spain that's true (and they are indeed expensive), but they are way too narrow (not many 4+4 lane highways for example). Additionally, Spaniards love to drive on the left side of the highway (also when the rest of the highway is completely free), the problem is that in Europe you are not allowed to pass on the right (bummer)
Highways are expensive . But the Nationals are normally good as well to travel over and free
How do the Brits and Irish overtake ?? When they're not allowed to overtake on the right .
Allways remember one Europe doesn't exist by a long way