Euromeet 2009 - 10th Anniversary Archive from this legendary meet!

The French Way Down

Old 12-12-2008, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The French Way Down

Hi All,
I have stuck my name in the hat and offered to lead a group down to Italy for the Eurotrip and LadyB has kindly offered to help with the planning.

Our initial plans are to head down through France leaving on the morning of Tue 7th April skirting Switzerland, and crossing into Italy where we will spend as much of the route in the hills, along lake Como arriving at the meet on the Friday.

The first night stop will be in Reims a relatively short days drive but for those who would be interested we will try and get some sort of wine or chapagne tour organised for that afternoon/evening with a relaxed start the next day.

A further day will be spent driving south through France before will head for the hills on Thursday to cross into Italy where the driving should be more picturesque and a taster for what the weekend holds.

The return drive will be more direct heading back north through Germany stopping at the Nurburgring so I can tick that off the list of things to do! Before catching the ferry back on the evening of the 15th.

The route will be avoiding tolls and hopefully getting of the beaten track, mileage will average less than 300 a day with speeds that hopefully will not attract unwanted attention!

As far as costs go, the ferry crossing I am looking at with Norfolklines is less than
Old 12-12-2008, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some advice on route timings for all. Whatever system is used to plan, whether it be SatNav/Routeplanner or maps/personal experience always add a min of another 2 hrs. Toilet stops, petrol, snack stops, weather & the peage's will take more than time than normal. A trip that computes at 4hrs i would estimate approx 6 when running as a group.

Ed
Old 12-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Good man!!
Glad you saw sense on doing the ring on the way back

Lloyd - can you pm me your Norfolk lines info - that price is good.
I need to start work on Hudonsbay and my route.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As discussed at the party last saturday Lloyd - I would like to join up with your group. I originally had planned to go with Kiwi leaving on the Saturday, but I would prefer to leave on the Tuesday!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:24 AM

1. Kawasakivtec
2. Ladyb
3. Suzybee
Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Lloyd - it would be a pleasure
Old 12-13-2008, 05:54 AM

Hi Lloyd, I'm in the same camp as Suzybee in that I'd prefer to leave on Tuesday and not Saturday. Is there still room in your gang for another?

Also how far down France were you thinking of going? I had in mind a trek over to the Millau viaduct but am not sure if you'd be going this far south...I may have to save that for another day.

Cheers
Trish
Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 AM

Trish,
I looked into the Millau bridge also but it is really out of the way down near Beziers.
Looking to cross in to Italy west of Lyon.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:01 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kawasakivtec,Dec 13 2008, 03:01 PM
Trish,
I looked into the Millau bridge also but it is really out of the way down near Beziers.
Looking to cross in to Italy west of Lyon.
I'm sure he means East of Lyon

One thing to note Lloyd is the path you're going to take over/through/under the Alps.
Some of the mountain roads passes may still have problems with snow at this time of year, just a quick heads up to do your research.

Also if you're planning on using the Mont Blanc Tunnel, the last time I went though it cost around 30 Euros per car.
Toll prices here http://www.tunnelmb.net/v3.0/gb/tarifgb.asp

Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 AM

Cheers Lee

Quick Reply: The French Way Down