Engine Swaps Discussion of alternate engine swaps into the S2000 other than F20/22. K24, 2JZ, V6, V8 etc...

K24 - Oil Leak

Old 11-16-2022, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default K24 - Oil Leak

Hi Guys. I recently notice a puddle of oil forming in this part of the engine (refer to pic). I am not sure where it would come from. Those with a kswap, have you experienced this before? Any help is appreciated.

-Chris

Old 11-17-2022, 11:16 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Some k series valve covers require Hondabond in a few spots. Was it done?
Old 07-08-2024, 06:03 AM

Adding myself here, I have a kswapped S. I have the exact oil puddle in that "cup" hot side, near the firewall. The swap was done by ASM motorsports, and I've tracked the car several times and just noticed this as a small puddle made itself known on the garage floor. I have a new valve cover gasket (OEM) and spark plug tube seals. My intent is to capture the status of the K valve cover and hope there was no issue with the mating surface of it in general then work to reapply new hardware. What is interesting is, doing a bit of googling and youtubing I didn't see any real videos or how-to's on if any gasket material (RTV or Hondabond) should be applied and where. I will admit I didn't exhaust my search, it was late night on the phone which is always sub-optimal.

More details soon.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:31 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by osms.io
Adding myself here, I have a kswapped S. I have the exact oil puddle in that "cup" hot side, near the firewall. The swap was done by ASM motorsports, and I've tracked the car several times and just noticed this as a small puddle made itself known on the garage floor. I have a new valve cover gasket (OEM) and spark plug tube seals. My intent is to capture the status of the K valve cover and hope there was no issue with the mating surface of it in general then work to reapply new hardware. What is interesting is, doing a bit of googling and youtubing I didn't see any real videos or how-to's on if any gasket material (RTV or Hondabond) should be applied and where. I will admit I didn't exhaust my search, it was late night on the phone which is always sub-optimal.

More details soon.
why not read the service manual
Old 07-08-2024, 10:22 AM

Valid, but searching it I don't see a page dedicated to the gasket replacement.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up needed a new valve cover gasket on my K swap as well as the crank seal needing replacement. Purchased from ASM as well.
The following users liked this post:
osms.io (07-23-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by CYANiDE91
I ended up needed a new valve cover gasket on my K swap as well as the crank seal needing replacement. Purchased from ASM as well.
I honestly feel like there should be an ASM catalog of customers on here.

I checked the crank seal and that seems to be fine as the motor was refreshed prior to bringing it to ASM. Was your block refreshed @CYANiDE91 ?

Parts are coming in to redo the gasket and spark plug seals, I will see what happens. As I head out I will take some pics of the areas of focus such that others may learn from either my mistakes or efforts to rectify. If the valve cover leaks again, more than likely I will go get a K-tuned valve cover and call it done.
Old 07-22-2024, 07:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by osms.io
I honestly feel like there should be an ASM catalog of customers on here.

I checked the crank seal and that seems to be fine as the motor was refreshed prior to bringing it to ASM. Was your block refreshed @CYANiDE91 ?

Parts are coming in to redo the gasket and spark plug seals, I will see what happens. As I head out I will take some pics of the areas of focus such that others may learn from either my mistakes or efforts to rectify. If the valve cover leaks again, more than likely I will go get a K-tuned valve cover and call it done.
I purchased the level 2 package, doesn't indicate any refresh of motor in the listing. Car has done probably about 10 track days and a few thousand street miles since - besides the the initial leaks - my only issue has been a bad TPS.

I do notice that my valve cover rubs/touches the hood fire blanket. Wondering if that exacerbates any leaks...
The following users liked this post:
osms.io (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 06:49 AM

Welp what I can say is when I was taking the old valve cover (VC) off it didn't seem as "seated" as I'd like. We know the K motor vibrates a ton, so I went a wee-bit-tigher on when I was torquing down the VC bolts. I put in a new gasket, and HondaBond (HT) those curves a bit so the seal should be tight. What I have a hard time contemplating is. Say I get started at my HPDE event and I continue to see a leak. Its going to drive me bonkers.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by CYANiDE91
I purchased the level 2 package, doesn't indicate any refresh of motor in the listing. Car has done probably about 10 track days and a few thousand street miles since - besides the the initial leaks - my only issue has been a bad TPS.

I do notice that my valve cover rubs/touches the hood fire blanket. Wondering if that exacerbates any leaks...
Looks like you have the kTuned Valve cover no ?

Quick Reply: K24 - Oil Leak