Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

S's at the Gap

Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, well, I used to live in Cincinnati, and Looter brought me into the club. For a few years, it seemed we always had rooms next to each other, or were taking a break near each other, and both of us were smokers. He had some issues, and quit. I had some issues a year or so later and also quit. Coming up on 2 years on August for me, and either 4 or 5 for him.

I do miss the 5am outside, rooming next to each other, families still asleep, smoking a few, drinking coffee, and chewing the fat. I don't miss the smoking part.

Dave

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Originally Posted by parkerdt' timestamp='1341367537' post='21832627
And tell them you want no smoking rooms like me and Looter! (sorry private joke )

Dave
Do tell I want to hear about this one.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in
Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 AM

I've never been to Deal's Gap [the Dragon] I want to go to this event but I have some newbie questions.
Should I post them here in case other new people have the same questions or should we just PM someone [Bama Dave]?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,134 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Hidef1080
I've never been to Deal's Gap [the Dragon] I want to go to this event but I have some newbie questions.
Should I post them here in case other new people have the same questions or should we just PM someone [Bama Dave]?
If they involve the Dragon, post away.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerdt
Ok, well, I used to live in Cincinnati, and Looter brought me into the club. For a few years, it seemed we always had rooms next to each other, or were taking a break near each other, and both of us were smokers. He had some issues, and quit. I had some issues a year or so later and also quit. Coming up on 2 years on August for me, and either 4 or 5 for him.

I do miss the 5am outside, rooming next to each other, families still asleep, smoking a few, drinking coffee, and chewing the fat. I don't miss the smoking part.

Dave

Originally Posted by Bama Dave' timestamp='1341367958' post='21832643
[quote name='parkerdt' timestamp='1341367537' post='21832627']
And tell them you want no smoking rooms like me and Looter! (sorry private joke )

Dave
Do tell I want to hear about this one.
[/quote]

....as well...Dave. Those were some good ol days !!!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076

Do you have safety meetings each day?
Due to work and an aging parent I won't really be able to do more than Saturday [in Friday evening and out Sunday morning]
Are there rules of the Dragon that a new person should know about? Some best practices or do's and don't s?

As a first timer should I just hit the road on my own or would it be best to find a “slower” group?
What are the drives like, are they based on speed and performance or just more of a casual drive?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Don't PM Bama Dave.... he's just some loony guy from Cajun country!

Love ya BD!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:18 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1341397585' post='21833204

Due to work and an aging parent I won't really be able to do more than Saturday [in Friday evening and out Sunday morning]
Are there rules of the Dragon that a new person should know about? Some best practices or do's and don't s?

As a first timer should I just hit the road on my own or would it be best to find a “slower” group?
What are the drives like, are they based on speed and performance or just more of a casual drive?
Normally there is a safety meeting Saturday morning.....

Most people show up Friday sometime, and leave Sunday. Some stay longer, some arrive earlier.

Driving the Dragon..... go slow the first run or two or three.... then pick up the pace as you start to feel comfortable. Just don't push it, because it can/will bite you in the a*s!

If you are on the Dragon or one of the other great roads.... drive your pace, don't let someone push you along, pull over and let them by.

Don't try to keep up with the car in front of you if you are not very comfortable at that pace.

DO NOT CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!!!DO NOT CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!!!DO NOT CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!!!DO NOT CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!!! This cannot be stressed enough.

At most events, there will be a newbie drive to start things off. Great way to get a guided tour! Check the itinerary when it is posted for the date and time.

It is highly recommended that you do not go for drives by yourself..... just in case something happens, it is always a good idea to have someone else along.

Depending on who is leading a drive.... will determine if it is "spirited" or "casual".... first time down, DO NOT sign up for Billman's drive!!! That is the MOST SPIRITED drive of any.

When drives start to be posted, they should state what pace they are going to go at..... if not, just ask the thread starter (drive leader).

Looking forward to meeting you at the Dragon (which is only one of the many great roads in the area!).
Old 07-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1341397585' post='21833204

Whats going on man, The drives are the same format as the drive we did in Montgomery last month. We have a leader and a tail gunner for each drive. We try to keep the group together for each drive. If you do attend the event we will have a newbie drive on friday morning on the dragon. Hope to see you again up there in September. Later BD
Old 07-04-2012, 05:46 AM

Outstanding Lovetodrive 2000!

Dave I'll be there. Montgomery was fun. Thank you!

Thanks ALL and have a safe 4th!!

Quick Reply: S's at the Gap