Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Some misunderstandings with the RoadsterChat Folks

Old 02-11-2002, 09:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some misunderstandings with the RoadsterChat Folks

Unfortunately, it seems that we have some misunderstandings with some of the RoadsterChat folks. With the poll that was posted (but now deleted to save from further flames) about having other cars attend the DragonBall Run event. Initially, I had thought that redline (?) from roadsterchat had misunderstood our thread and posted the fact that many roadsters would be attending. However, as I read their forum a bit tonight, I realize that she was aware and was being (in her own words) a wise ass. Of course, this sparked a flame and before it gets out of control, I wanted to post this thread.

Some of the folks there have taken our words and mixed them up to make it look like we are snobs and all. . .it's very sad.

http://pub42.ezboard.com/froadsterchatfrm1...tart=21&stop=35

A sad post and some of the folks from that site have registered here and posted some threads just to invoke some flames. I have deleted them as they provide no value to the forum.

Truly an unfortunate thing. For as much as they complain about us, they are critics themselves. Making jabs at the fact we chose the Hilton in Alcoa and that we have posted threads about being concerned with their presence.

Undoubtedly, this thread is being read by some of the roadsterchat folks and I hope that we can set aside some differences because we really have lots in common. redline really summed it up very well in one of her posts.

I posted on their board stating how this confusion occurred and hoped for resolution.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah,
I was extremely disgusted that "Oldnangry" one of their members decided to completely take the "honk two times and wave someone on" completley wrong (i myself will be waving many of the board members on). Well he definately got the "old" and the "angry" part right... Seems like everyone else on the board seems to be pretty level headed. I wrote him a private message but he has still to respond....
seems as though he gets angry with anyone who chooses not to travel at his speed...
To his last reponse on the roadster chat board (because i can't seem to get my account to work over there) I would like to ask him if he still ventures here is what would he have us say and do to satisfy him.. He said that airgates response was not good enough... sounds like he wants to stay angry... so be it.....
Old 02-12-2002, 03:54 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

Since my thread appears to be one of the problems (and has since been erased), I'll clarify why I posted my concern (to all the RC viewers):

Last fall, we had about 30 S2000s in attendance, it turned out to be the same weekend as a BRAG (Buell Riders of America Gathering?) event, where there were over 100 Buells. While most were cooperative, many weren't and there was a bit of hard feelings between the 2 groups. Our planning is too far in to change dates, but I thought I'd post it just so someone could possibly contact blewgo or zDeb (who seemed to be the "organizers" of the meet) and let them know they'd have company on the Dragon. Hopefully the 2 groups (S2ki and RC) will cooperate better than the Buells did with us in the fall - the Miata and Z3 seem to make up most of RC, and both are competent vehicles to handle the Dragon just as well as we do. There will be over 100 cars zipping up and down the Dragon in April, so we all need to keep our collective heads out of our collective asses. If you want to go slow, pull off and let the fast cars by - no matter what make or model. If you want to go fast, do it safely and respect the other drivers. And by all means, if you see me sitting by my car at the Tail or the overlook, come on up and say hi. We're not all bad people

As for the poll, we weren't trying to exclude the RC folks or ANYONE from the Dragon - it's a public highway and anyone can drive on it, much to the chagrin of sports car and motorcycle owners (if you've never been there, you'll see what I mean). Our event is more than just driving the wheels off our car - we stay at the "luxury" Hilton hotel so we have a place to park & clean our cars, a place to socialize with all the other owners, etc. We have a planned lunch on saturday at Fontana Dam, etc. This is what the poll was about - do we let s2ki non-owners join in our non-driving activities, or do we do it S2000 only. The basis for this poll was last year's inclusion of an Integra or 2, and the request for an M3 to come along this year. They are welcome to drive the Dragon, but our event is S2000 only - that's all.

Thanks, and I hope everyone can enjoy the Dragon!
Old 02-12-2002, 04:39 AM

I just read the thread on "Roadster Chat" as well...It is pretty distasteful to say the very least...A few of the guys over there really seem to have a problem with all of us on this board...I certainly hope there will be no problems between anyone that weekend, but unfortunately, I will not be surprised at all if there were...

It's sad that people have to act in this sort of manner, since we all have one thing in common with each other, our lover for cars...I hope we can all get along together and have a fun and safe weekend...

Hope to see you guys then!
Old 02-12-2002, 11:29 AM

Well, I certainly hope that the RoadsterChat folks had the common decency to return the favor and delete your post too. I too shall be at the Gap that weekend and I have read this thread too. It does leave the impression that you folks think that you own N.C. / Tenn. US Hwy 128. There is room for everyone at the Dragon. The bikers found it first anyway. How many minutes will this post survive?

Yer Pal,

Ed Black
Two Spyders (MR-2 & 550) No Waiting
Old 02-12-2002, 11:49 AM

Yes it might seem that way if you only read one perspective. I think there was a common miscommunication that occured on both parties. If one reads both forums there is a bit of marque loyalty (or whatever you want to call it) I personally do not care what marque are there that weekend... just looking for fun, relaxation, and a little commaraderie among car fanatics ...In fact im interested to see the other machines at the run.... hope to see all of you there....

couldnt... help but see the 550 spyder down there at the bottom.... wouldn't happen to be a 550 maranello would it?? Between that and the 360 spider I probably would wet my pants if i had to choose.... If you do indeed own this masterpiece... are you bringing it to the dragon??
Old 02-12-2002, 11:54 AM

How many perspectives am I supposed to have? Where do I get more?

No, no Ferrari. Sadly it is only a 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder RS. If I feel confident in its abilities to stay running throughout the drive from Florida to North Carolina and back plus a few Dragon runs, if you Stooksters will let me drive on your road that weekend, I shall be bringing it along. Otherwise it is the Toyota MR-2 Spyder, another nifty little twisty tamer.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

550 as in James Dean 550? awesome. Only like 8 made.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:14 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Black
[B]How many perspectives am I supposed to have?
Old 02-12-2002, 12:21 PM

Yes, Bad, like James Dean, although quite a few more than eight were made. It is Porsche's first attempt at a streetable racecar. 165 HP - 1250 lbs wet 0-60 in around five flat on a good day. We don't call it RatG, we call it SADAS (sad ass) other people call theirs Dragonball. I call mine Timmy. How foolish of me to read what someone wrote and assume that it had meaning. I'll be more careful next time.

Quick Reply: Some misunderstandings with the RoadsterChat Folks